What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sport is in its infancy as much as the comp. Women's footy is pretty new, and the idea that it 'deserves' a national comp is silly. It will help grow participation rates, but it's cart before horse stuff. A lot more women play other sports and very few make a living out of it. It's a harsh reality but interest in women's professional sport overall is low.

If it was 'let go' it would fold tomorrow. Everything about the AFLW piggybacks off the success of the men's game. It's definitely unpopular, but most people don't really care about women's footy. WC don't have a women's team but I don't look at Freo and think 'yep they're going well but their women's team came last or they're struggling but their women's team is great'. I follow the AFL, and the AFLW is a separate thing altogether in my view. If it's successful then great, but I don't want to hear about it every 5 minutes.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'deserves' a national comp. A sport has a national comp or it does not, there is no deserve about it.

Men do not deserve a national comp, they have one, and that is it.

Likewise with broadcasting, it doesn't deserve to be on TV, it is on TV, or its not.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Certainly not unpopular to say that Damien Barrett is a flog, but his calling West Coast FTBs this year is at best lazy journalism and at worst an indicator that he is an imbecile.

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

His opinion on whether West Coast are FTB's or not changes weekly, which I find even more ******* bizarre. They either are or they aren't, it's not a week-to-week proposition.

When making a tackle, the tackler should be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to hang on until the tackle is complete.

Complete meaning the player being tackled has been brought to ground and stopped from play.

The guy tackling can't know if the ball has gone or not. Should be able to finish his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can have him if we get Richo back.

Last time I checked, only one clubs "supporters" cries VFL bias whenever they lose. And what was that s**t with Sloane being suspended last year?

Huh?

All I hear is port fans blaming umpires for a blatantly correct decision.
Even the coach said it was perfectly correct.

Doesnt stop the banana throwers getting all up in arms.

Alex Rance is both Underrated and overrated
This happens all the time. In 2013 Naitanui and Cyril were widely disrespected and ridiculed on BigFooty but a bit overhyped by the media. They brought most people here around by 2015/16. Public opinion oscillates wildly and it either gets swept up in or lashes out violently against hype.

When making a tackle, the tackler should be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to hang on until the tackle is complete.

Complete meaning the player being tackled has been brought to ground and stopped from play.

The guy tackling can't know if the ball has gone or not. Should be able to finish his job.
Disagree.
Would stop a lot of players running on and following up possessions because they'd be taken out of the play.
The amount of tackles where this is actually an issue is very small.

Players who have disposed of the ball, would be deliberately taken out of the play by tacklers perfectly aware the ball has gone.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

That the league didnt require another NSW and QLD based team for the sake of expansion. A 16 team competition was more than adequate

If we were umpiring the rule of holding the ball/correct disposal PROPERLY, as in the last 140 years or so...decisions paid this year would be up approximately 400% on what it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back