Analysis What will happen at tonight's board meeting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cue the cultural revolution mark 2, he's never met a football club whose culture he couldn't "fix".

I'd be intrigued to hear his thoughts on our high performance and medical side now, after what he said about Gold Coast.

"I'f id known how bad it was really before I came, I wouldnt have done it, honest..."

Rodney Eade, circa 2017, 2020, etc, etc,

I don't know how many of us has ever been involved in a review but it's hardly ever eye opening and the recommendations can often be predicted.

Length of time in the job doesn't exclude you from needing and benefitting from a mentor. I know people who have been successful in business and have still benefitted from mentors later in their professional lives. Schools source consultants who can act as mentors for bosses whose people management skills have deteriorated over the years.
I don't see it as a massive issue.

Players saying that they want more feedback is hardly surprising. Employees elsewhere, students etc often provide the feedback about the lack of feedback. They may not value group feedback and want more one on one. No surprise.

As for the cameras catching the parts of the presentation, so what?
Agree we all need mentoring, advise, help ,etc.
I think what many are saying is this either should have already happened or it's to late.

The mentorship is garbage.
It's what Eade was brought in for.

It clearly didn't work.

Seriously if after 6yrs you need to be "mentored" it's alarm bells.

Honestly a mentor after 15 years as an AFL player and 8 seasons of coaching experience.

And hear I thought I'd heard every excuse to be offered as to why Buckley hasn't lived up to expectations.

Perhaps we can hire this bloke.

1fes2a.jpg

I don't know how many of us has ever been involved in a review but it's hardly ever eye opening and the recommendations can often be predicted.

Length of time in the job doesn't exclude you from needing and benefitting from a mentor. I know people who have been successful in business and have still benefitted from mentors later in their professional lives. Schools source consultants who can act as mentors for bosses whose people management skills have deteriorated over the years.
I don't see it as a massive issue.

Players saying that they want more feedback is hardly surprising. Employees elsewhere, students etc often provide the feedback about the lack of feedback. They may not value group feedback and want more one on one. No surprise.

As for the cameras catching the parts of the presentation, so what?
This knocks the mentor stuff on the head perfectly.

Mentors are most often sought outside of current company and/or industry, as a prime purpose can be they can provide a 'different view' or different way of looking at things that challenge you, or your way of thinking.

The reaction to this in this thread is over the top, misplaced or both.

Time to revolt

Anger levels rising ............

I cannot wait for them to re-sign Buckley to a 4 year deal. It's going to be beautiful!!

latest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ridiculous that people here actually think the more contentious slides would have been made public - just absurd.
As if the club would have allowed a slide on Bucks' future or similar to have been made public.
Get a grip guys.

ridiculous that people here actually think the more contentious slides would have been made public - just absurd.
As if the club would have allowed a slide on Bucks' future or similar to have been made public.
Get a grip guys.

I actually think this is more likely to be the I.T guy making sure that the slideshow was working correctly before the meeting. You can see it flicking forward and back like somebody was doing some testing.

If there was a slide in there regarding his future, it would have absolutely been shown just like the others were.

The mentorship is garbage.
It's what Eade was brought in for.

It clearly didn't work.

Seriously if after 6yrs you need to be "mentored" it's alarm bells.

to be fair, Eade started of as the mentor but soon became head of football which involves off-field stuff rather than pure mentoring. Not saying that Bucks is the man but the club clearly didn't support him.

Ed: "No decisions were made tonight about the Senior Coach or any of the other roles at the football club. We leaked out bits of the main presentation to the media earlier this evening. We'll keep a watchful eye on the social media reaction over the next few days, we're particularly interested in the opinion of the folks on BigFooty. Once we've got good direction then we'll reconvene to make our decisions."

Last edited:
I can't open the herald sun link can someone please post the full article? Thanks.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire says decision on Nathan Buckley’s future ‘not too far away’
MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
27 minutes ago
Subscriber only
COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley is safe — for now.

Pies president Eddie McGuire and his board met on Tuesday night to assess a report into the club’s failing football operations delivered by veteran football boss Geoff Walsh.

McGuire emerged from the meeting to declare that an announcement on Buckley’s future was “not too far away”.

FIXTURE: QUIRK: MAGPIES’ 2018 SILVER LINING

HAWKS ASSISTANT: BRUCE TO JOIN BOLTON AT BLUES

FIELD MARSHAL: CASE FOR AND AGAINST THE LIKELY FINALISTS

“Tonight was a scheduled board meeting ... and Geoff Walsh tabled his preliminary findings and his recommendations of the blueprint for the football department,” McGuire said.

“What’s happening now is we’re going to reflect on what was a sizeable document, some interesting and strong discussion, about where we think we need the club to go and we will reconvene in the next few days and discuss it further.”

Asked when Collingwood supporters would know the fate of Buckley, McGuire said: “When we tell them — but not too far away.

dba2de0e2b09402a9bc72a4b3e8b85d9

Nathan Buckley did not seem alarmed at Collingwood training on Tuesday as the board meeting loomed. Picture: Michael Klein
“It’s in play now. We’re not going to say one thing and mean another.

“He (Buckley) is coach until the end of the season and that’s what his contract says ... we are pretty firm on that at Collingwood. And that contract ends at the end of this season, which is Saturday, unfortunately for us.

“We haven’t come to a position yet. Seriously guys, there is nothing tricky about this ... there’s a lot to digest and then we’ll make the decisions.”

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

Buckley took training on Tuesday night ahead of Saturday’s season-ending clash with Melbourne at the MCG.

Magpies acting chief executive Peter Murphy, who is conducting a separate review into the club’s entire operation, also attended the board meeting.

Buckley was not required to attend.

bb18a660ff2a90b4cf815996337d8bb0

Nathan Buckley talks to the team at quarter time. Picture: Alex Coppel.
If the club were to sack Buckley, he would not be the only casualty with sweeping changes expected in the assistant coaching ranks, and in the recruitment, list management, high performance and medical departments.

The Pies have slipped to 13th on the ladder, the lowest in Buckley’s six-year reign since taking over from Michael Malthouse at the end of 2011.

The club has an eight-win, 12-loss and one-draw record this season.

McGuire has not rules out the return of suspended former football boss Graeme “Gubby” Allan.

The club’s other directors are Alex Waislitz, Alisa Camplin, Christine Holgate, Mark Korda, Paul Leeds and Ian McMullin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/67960332f391ce760bac19bc546dd850

Get a grip guys.

If the club are that good at smoke and shadows behind the windows does that mean Chris Mayne is actually an SAS Commando?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back