Movie What's the last movie you saw? (2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: What's the last movie you saw?

Primer's incredibly complicated because each time they go back and forward in time, they create another version of themselves living in that time. And all the actions we see from each person are done from multiple versions of themselves (not to mention all the other sub-plot of it all), and one has to really chart it like that official forum's devout members did. It's the most mind-**** of a film i've seen in that sense.

geez that's a great call.

Absolutely one of the most original fillums to come out of tinsletown, well, ever.

First new material from Carruth due soon.

Will be a must see.:thumbsu:

PRIMER DIRECTOR SHANE CARRUTH PREPARING UPSTREAM COLOR FOR NOVEMBER SHOOT

by Todd Brown, October 11, 2011 5:13 PM

It's taken a while but Primer director Shane Carruth is getting back in the director's chair. While word surfaced last year about his upcoming scifi epic A Topiary that project has proven so large and complex to set up that while the pieces come together - and he assures that they are coming together - Carruth is currently planning to shoot a different feature in November.

Titled Upstream Color little is known about the project beyond that it is being described as a "romance / drama / thriller". The only other information available comes from the casting call notes:

Kris - This is the lead part, and beyond involving a severe haircut change in the film, little is said beyond her being intelligent and plain.

Other main roles include Wesley, a composer in his 50s who is also a farmer, as well as Evan, a guy who works in a record shop and sounds a bit like a psychopath.

There are a few secondary roles up for grabs as well: two 12 year olds from the inner city, along with 16-year old name Phoebe and her grandmother Elise, who are described as being very similar souls.

We'll be tracking this as closely as possible, so keep an eye open.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/10/...eparing-upstream-color-for-november-shoot.php

I watched Michael Caine in Jack the Ripper, it was an excellent 3hour production, with a plausible conclusion.

Scorsese' Shutter Island. I enjoyed it. The mixed reactions on IMDB do an injustice to the movie IMO.

Scorsese' Shutter Island. I enjoyed it. The mixed reactions on IMDB do an injustice to the movie IMO.

Mixed reactions? It has an 8, overall.
That puts it up there with some classics, which Shutter Islands is just not.
Just think it to be an extremely overrated movie.

We've had enough of those "was or wasn't he dreaming" type movies. Lazy script writers like that vehicle because anything can happen in a dream, tieing loose ends becomes a breeze.

Mixed reactions? It has an 8, overall.
That puts it up there with some classics, which Shutter Islands is just not.
Just think it to be an extremely overrated movie.

Have a read of the message board for the movie, plus some of the reviews, plenty of negativity therein.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a read of the message board for the movie, plus some of the reviews, plenty of negativity therein.

Of course there is, as there is for every other movie.
The Godfather and Shawshank have an average rating of 9.2, yet there's still some that will only give those movies a one star of ten rating.
You always get the heroes that want to make a point.

Shutter Island was very well directed and acted, but the once the theme became obvious, the interest waned.
Certainly not a 1/10, but not an 8/10 for me either.

Yeah I thought Inception is a little overrated as well

Anyone else notice how Di Caprio has only chosen good/big/serious/critical acclaimed/oscar bait hollywood films since Gangs Of New York?

He's got

Gangs Of New York (Dir. Scorsese - 2002)
Catch Me If You Can (Dir. Spielberg - 2002)
The Aviator (Dir. Scorsese - 2004)
The Departed (Dir. Scorsese - 2006)
Blood Diamond (Dir. Zwick - 2006)
Body Of Lies (Dir. R. Scott - 2008)
Revolutionary Road (Dir. Mendes - 2008)
Shutter Island (Dir. - Scorsese - 2010)
Inception (Dir. Nolan - 2010)

Soon To Be Released:

J. Edgar (Dir. Eastwood - 2011)
The Great Gatsby (Dir. Luhrmann - 2012)
Creed Of Violence (Dir. - Field - 2012)
Django Unchained (Dir. - Tarantino - 2012)

He's like the total opposite of Nicolas Cage in terms of choosing films.

Movie-Posters-Snake-Eyes-240355.jpg

Snake Eyes - 5/10

I remember seeing that many years ago. I thought the movie started out very good then just got really ridiculous as it went on.

Yeah I thought Inception is a little overrated as well

Anyone else notice how Di Caprio has only chosen good/big/serious/critical acclaimed/oscar bait hollywood films since Gangs Of New York?

He's got

Gangs Of New York (Dir. Scorsese - 2002)
Catch Me If You Can (Dir. Spielberg - 2002)
The Aviator (Dir. Scorsese - 2004)
The Departed (Dir. Scorsese - 2006)
Blood Diamond (Dir. Zwick - 2006)
Body Of Lies (Dir. R. Scott - 2008)
Revolutionary Road (Dir. Mendes - 2008)
Shutter Island (Dir. - Scorsese - 2010)
Inception (Dir. Nolan - 2010)

Soon To Be Released:

J. Edgar (Dir. Eastwood - 2011)
The Great Gatsby (Dir. Luhrmann - 2012)
Creed Of Violence (Dir. - Field - 2012)
Django Unchained (Dir. - Tarantino - 2012)

He's like the total opposite of Nicolas Cage in terms of choosing films.

Di Caprio's body of work stands up next to some of the great actors.He has been in quite a few great films. His performances are generally very good.

Personally I think Inception exists so dumb people can feel intelligent and appear streets ahead.

Martyrs

People will find it disturbing on face value. But there's clearly a message the writer/director is trying to convey. You know, that artistic-speak, where a graphic torture film is a commentary on the disconnect with life that exists in today's society etc. What was more interesting to me is trying to discern the very ending. Been reading up on IMDB boards to see what other people discerned of the ending, but I think most of them are wrong. It's such a simple and clear, yet ambiguous, ending, that I'm still not decided. Still weighing up and analyzing some observations, shots, clues, etc.

I'd be interested in reading HARKER's explanation of the ending.

As for the film in general, as a film, not really memorable or interesting except for what it is notorious for (the graphic violence itself). The meaning(s) of the story is a common theme in film. Wasn't a bad or a good movie per se. Not a "blown away" movie (regardless of genre), but not a snooze fest either. Appreciate the recommendation to watch it. Also, in reading thru some IMDB threads about it, naturally it leads to checking out another Euro-shock film, In A Glass Cage, which apparently is even more abhorrent. So downloading to view when I get a chance, among all the other movies downloaded already but yet watched.

I thought Shutter Island was pretty good just in the way that it is filmed and scored seemed like a bit of a throwback/shoutout to movies of old it created good atmosphere

Going way over the top with my assesment but i hated it, thought it was utter crap, and i love Scorsese and DiCaprio, but i just dont understand how people couldn't pick it and once the "twist" was obvious what the hell was the point, poorly written, poorly directed and terrible acting from everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back