Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Trek: Beyond - turned it off after 15 minutes. Seemed to be quite light hearted, almost comical in the direction it was heading. More like a "Guardians of the Galaxy" type satire rather than a typical Star Trek film.

Mascots

Christopher Guest's latest mockumentary on Netflix.

Huge disappointment is mildly amusing at best.

But a chore for the most part...

Dont Breathe: 8/10 perfect name for the film really, had me on my toes for much of the film, never mess with a war veteran

Jack Reacher
fid7975.jpg

Mate I love this. Watched it when it was released and only just got around to a proper full length second viewing as it was on TV. Tom Cruise is exceptional in the lead. Everyone acts their part well. Well written, good story, great action scenes and choreography, walking the line between realistic and entertaining really well. Just a near flawless action/thriller type movie for me. The only criticism being a personal one to me, the movie could have really benefited from an increase in the rating for some more violent visuals, but to its credit it works around really well.

9.5/10

Oh and finally watched the last instalment to the Matrix series, Matrix Revolutions.

Thought they closed it off in a great way but a lot of the film was set outside the matrix, in the real world (as it were). Throughout the series, I always preferred the scenes that were inside the matrix. There was some good things throughout, the trainman etc but didn't quite enjoy it as much as the first two films.

6.5/10

Jack Reacher
fid7975.jpg

Mate I love this. Watched it when it was released and only just got around to a proper full length second viewing as it was on TV. Tom Cruise is exceptional in the lead. Everyone acts their part well. Well written, good story, great action scenes and choreography, walking the line between realistic and entertaining really well. Just a near flawless action/thriller type movie for me. The only criticism being a personal one to me, the movie could have really benefited from an increase in the rating for some more violent visuals, but to its credit it works around really well.

9.5/10
Yeah sick film.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Girl on the Train

Went into the film without watching the trailer or knowing anything about the story. The first twenty minutes were a bit all over the place as time jumped around so it was hard to keep up with the characters and the story. As it went on it became more solid and had a good plot twist. Emily Blunt had a pretty good performance and was an interesting character but all the other characters lacked depth and felt a bit dry.

All in all solid film but I felt it could have been much better. The whole film is a bit inconsistent and feels all over the place, some parts of the film are exceptional whilst other parts are awful. I'd describe it as a poor mans 'Gone Girl' and how a director such as David Fincher can weave a film so well together (as well as have great characters such as 'Amazing Amy' and Ben Afflecks character) whilst the director for Girl on the Train, Tate Taylor film didn't link the film up well and I'd say didn't work hard enough on his characters, which is essential for a film such as this.

6/10

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Didn't mind it, but it didn't capture me like the originals, and left a little disappointed. Found the characters bland and boring, with none really likable (except for some old Han Solo love). All in all I had much higher hopes, but it was an improvement on the recent prequels.
6.5/10

Man on a ledge
Entertaining and fast paced right from the start. First hour was really gripping, with a simple to follow movie but still holding some of its cards close to its chest until further in the movie. The last maybe third of the movie dragged a little bit and the ending just seemed a bit rushed, which is what dropped points for me. All in all very enjoyable though.
8/10

Masterminds

Jared Hess is back!

Definitely an acquired taste. But if you're a fan of his work, you'll like this. If not, well...

For all the big physical comedy stuff in his movies, it's those little understated moments that crack me up.

Suffers a bit in the second act when Zach Galifiankis and Kristen Wiig are apart for so long, but still.

Brace your boobies!

Jack Reacher
fid7975.jpg

9.5/10

Completely agree. I know fan boys didn't like Cruise getting cast as the lead, but I reckon he ******* nails it.

Seen John Wick? Reckon it is similarly badass.

Completely agree. I know fan boys didn't like Cruise getting cast as the lead, but I reckon he ******* nails it.

Seen John Wick? Reckon it is similarly badass.

Yep, similar for sure, but Reacher has a bit more wit and a first act that matches the second, whereas I think Wick kinds falls apart in the last half.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Inferno 7/10
Dire film but I scored a sick Secret Life of Pets plastic cup at the candy bar which bumped up the score. Felicity Jones' see-through top (couldn't see any gear, just the outline) scored a couple of bonus marks too.

Independence Day: Sequel 8/10
Aliens hate Earth so they come and try * up humans but thankfully some weirdo scientist, a black guy who is apparently related to Will Smith, one of the Baldwins and some guy who lives in Africa join together to stop the aliens.

Bernie

Pretty unique film. Based on a true story. Dramatized doco that feels like a mockumentary at times.

Jack Black nearly always shines when a director pulls the reins on him a little. Shirley Maclaine was great, too. But the interviews with Carthage locals stole the show.

Linklater's film was apparently pivotal in the real Bernie almost winning release from prison earlier this year.

But his victim's family pretty much stopped that and he's still serving his life sentence...

Bernie

Pretty unique film. Based on a true story. Dramatized doco that feels like a mockumentary at times.

Jack Black nearly always shines when a director pulls the reins on him a little. Shirley Maclaine was great, too. But the interviews with Carthage locals stole the show.

Linklater's film was apparently pivotal in the real Bernie almost winning release from prison earlier this year.

But his victim's family pretty much stopped that and he's still serving his life sentence...
Thought that film was quite good myself.
Did not regret giving it a go.

London town
Set in London in 1979 .. its a coming of age story set around The Clash and its fans. I luved it . 8/10
Great soundtrack

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The Big Short. Very complex plot about how a few different groups saw the US housing bubble was about to burst in the 2000s and made millions/billions when it did. Despite the complexity of the plot (certainly for a financial nufty like me), the film does a brilliant job of explaining difficult to understand terms by simply cutting away to different celebrities to explain them. Margot Robbie in a bathtub would be the highlight of many films !

A brilliant cast do a wonderful job, with Christian Bale the stand out. Another terrific straight performance from Steve Carell.

8.5/10

The Big Short. Very complex plot about how a few different groups saw the US housing bubble was about to burst in the 2000s and made millions/billions when it did. Despite the complexity of the plot (certainly for a financial nufty like me), the film does a brilliant job of explaining difficult to understand terms by simply cutting away to different celebrities to explain them. Margot Robbie in a bathtub would be the highlight of many films !

A brilliant cast do a wonderful job, with Christian Bale the stand out. Another terrific straight performance from Steve Carell.

8.5/10
Need to get around to watching this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back