Movie What's the last movie you saw? (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 7:

Fwiw I posted in here after rewatching them all, the Garfield ones were pretty good on rewatch, I actually think he makes the best Parker. Holland is great but he’s never really been the Peter Parker I know from the comics (not that that’s an issue). Maguires ones had dated really badly, they are really slow and laborious and him and Dunst have 0 chemistry.
This scene in particular did not age well:

On the Spider-Man’s. They were all available on different streaming platforms for free EXCEPT garfields second, that was rent on prime. It was a mess though, some on Netflix some on binge/foxtel. Disney really should just suck it up and put them all on that platform. From memory they were all expiring on said platforms on NYE.
What? I've watched ASM2 a few times on Netflix.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The Sound of Music. (1965)

This is not the sort of movie I usually watch but I saw a snippet of it while channel hopping and decided to have a lazy afternoon on the couch with the whole 2 hours 52 minutes.

The first two thirds are gloriously uplifting. Julie Andrews' character, the nun Maria, is the type that makes everyone around them feel better, in this case the 7 motherless Von Trapp children and their father, retired Austrian Navy Captain Georg played by Christopher Plummer. There's singing and dancing at every turn with almost every song by Rodgers and Hammerstein being a classic. After rubbing her positive influence on the family, Maria freaks out and leaves when she realises her and Georg are in love. But she returns and a couple of ballads later they are married.

Happy ending. Credits. Post credits scene - Maria and Georg have an 8th child gamboling around in the Edelweiss.

But no. Germany annexes Austria - and it becomes a different movie where the family are being chased by the Nazis. It still has a happy ending but it has a very different feel that doesn't quite belong.

I'm going to pretend I didn't watch the last 40 minutes and give it 10/10.

Edit/Spoiler alert: the two posts immediately following this one are a bit spoilery..

The Power Of The Dog: I went in to this knowing very little about it which is definitely the way to go. This is a film-maker at the top of their powers. Won't be for everyone as it's kind of a slow moving anti-western, but worth watching for the cinematography and acting alone. Should absolutely clean up at the Oscars. 9/10

That twist is a banger. Have seen it twice and watching it the second time knowing what happens is quite rewarding, so much of it takes on new meaning. There is not a single wasted scene or line of dialogue.

Last edited:
The Power Of The Dog: I went in to this knowing very little about it which is definitely the way to go. This is a film-maker at the top of their powers. Won't be for everyone as it's kind of a slow moving anti-western, but worth watching for the cinematography and acting alone. Should absolutely clean up at the Oscars. 9/10

That twist is a banger. Have seen it twice and watching it the second time knowing what happens is quite rewarding, so much of it takes on new meaning. There is not a single wasted scene or line of dialogue.
I really didn't enjoy it. Where you saw it as no wasted word being spoken, I saw it as a half-baked way to not have to come up with compelling dialogue.

And the twist really didn't feel particularly special. I was confused when I read a review about how the ending pulled the rug out from under the viewers' feet, so then went searching to find the hidden meaning that I obviously must have missed. But no, I didn't miss anything at all, it just felt rather expected after everything that had happened before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah
I didn't really see it as much of a twist.

A few people have asked me if I "got" the twist, which is always a bit awkward when I saw it as being laid bare from the literal beginning of the film with the voice over.

Having said that, I really liked the film.

Last edited:
The Gate (1987)
iu

Irresponsible parents leave their 15 year old daughter in charge for a weekend. Bit of house party, ciggies and Pepsi etc. then the gates of hell (conveniently located in the family's backyard) are accidentally opened and a horde of evil demons escape.

K-mart Spielberg meets ALDI Stranger Things: heavy metal LPs played backwards, dated FM synthesizers, wholesome family values, child actors who ended up doing not very much. The stop-motion animation (ie: Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer s**t) is amazing, but there's much better examples of this genre. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Last edited:
I love it when you hear famous people aren't dicks.

Catfish Alley you met Liam Neeson yeah, and said he was cool.

Sorry! Just saw this. Didn’t meet him unfortunately. But a cafe nearby had a sign saying “Liam Neeson eats free”. He was filming nearby. He dropped in and had a good chat to people. Still paid and left a nice tip. Took photos with staff etc.

Calibre. 2018 British thriller set in Scottish highlands. Good film that stayed with me for a while. No big name actors, fancy effects or jump scares. Bit of an uncomfortable watch. Just does a really nice job of building tension and the helplessness of the whole situation.

6.8 on IMBD and 95% on Rotten Tomatoes sounds about right.

Cry Macho. Holy s**t! This is probably the worst movie I've ever seen. I honestly can't believe it was allowed to be made. I remember hearing about it and obviously keen to watch it as I'm a huge Clint fan but this has kind of just made me feel bad for him. Watching a lot of his recent movies, with The Mule, Gran Torino, even Million Dollar Baby, it just leaves me with this weird feeling of him overcompensating for his personal life problems where he hasn't really been there for his kids. I could kind of look past it until I saw this movie and it's going to make it hard for me to enjoy his more recent movies now. I admire his passion for filmmaking, because there is no reason other than passion and the want to keep working to be working at his age, I doubt the needs the money. So yeah, it just sucks. That was seriously the lamest, most corny, predictable, poorly written movie I've seen. 3.5/10.

Yeah I didn't really see it as much of a twist.

A few people have asked me if I "got" the twist, which is always a bit awkward when I saw it as being laid bare from the literal beginning of the film with the voice over.

Having said that, I really liked the film.
Yeah I missed that voiceover thing at the start the first time haha. Probably just as well.

Whether or not you would call it a twist aside, the way the whole thing unfolded kinda subverted my expectations of how I thought it might go, which I appreciated.

Loved Benedict Cumberbatch's performance, most complex character portrayal I have seen for a while. My tip for best actor.

Last edited:
Yeah I missed that voiceover thing at the start the first time haha. Probably just as well.

Whether or not you would call it a twist aside, the way the whole thing unfolded kinda subverted my expectations of how I thought it might go, which I appreciated.

Loved Benedict Cumberbatch's performance, most complex character portrayal I have seen for a while. My tip for best actor.
What flick is this?

Calibre. 2018 British thriller set in Scottish highlands. Good film that stayed with me for a while. No big name actors, fancy effects or jump scares. Bit of an uncomfortable watch. Just does a really nice job of building tension and the helplessness of the whole situation.

6.8 on IMBD and 95% on Rotten Tomatoes sounds about right.
Watched this a few years back.

Very good, but they make some very dumb decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back