Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prime have a selection of Hitchcock movies available - some free some to rent or buy

Will watch The Birds tonight
Speaking in general terms here, but I wish after a period of time, that movies and TV shows are totally free to watch on youtube, which almost everyone has some level of accessibility to it.

Dont get me wrong I know a lot of TV shows and movies are freely available online, but I genuinely feel for those whether it be an affordability issue or accessibility one, should not be deprived of watching/rewatching something that brings them pleasure.

Spoilers but Tom Hanks does not come out of that movie even more awesome.

I meant in the sense that he was brave and principled even though it led to his demise. This is the stuff of heroes.

Heroes may die but what they stand for lives on. In this case Miller's final words, "Earn this", inspires Ryan to live his best life. We don't have much to go on but it seems that meant being a good family man and an American patriot. In a broader sense it's a message to the American audience.

Its been so long since I have seen Saving Private Ryan, its deserves a rewatch in 2024.
I saw it at the cinema and I'm never watching it again

The Birds - Prime

Prime had a few Hitchcock movies and I was going to do a run through them but they suddenly became renters ( I dont rent)

Anyway The Birds - the playground scene is iconic and would have built tension at the time but knowing it did dilute it for me

Unlike Psycho this took over just under an hour ( 2hour movie) to get to the central plot of the movie

Its enjoyable and Tippi is stunning in this and Rod Taylor is manly

But overall its a movie that doesnt explain itself. A woman follows a man and birds attack and the movie ends

Im unsure of any deeper meaning or subtext to this.

Unfrosted… better than it had any right to be. Jerry Seinfeld directs a film about the creation of the pop tart. I expected a very loosely based true story with a little humour ala BlackBerry or Air, instead it doesn’t even pretend to be loosely based on reality and is a straight up farce. Pretty funny with a few really good lines, lots of comic cameos. I heard it described as inoffensive comedy but you can’t help but feel there’s a bit of lampooning of the Hollywood trend for corporate origin stories and their own self importance. Breezy way to spend 90 minutes. 7/10.

Followed this with Star Wars, so as it ticked over to May the Fourth, Luke was beginning his trench run. Hard to believe this is nearly 50 years old with some effects still looking pretty impressive. Also some that looks little ropey and some cheesy dialogue but this is sci-fi world-building at its best. 9.5/10.

Speaking in general terms here, but I wish after a period of time, that movies and TV shows are totally free to watch on youtube, which almost everyone has some level of accessibility to it.

Dont get me wrong I know a lot of TV shows and movies are freely available online, but I genuinely feel for those whether it be an affordability issue or accessibility one, should not be deprived of watching/rewatching something that brings them pleasure.

doesn't have everything everyone will want but it's a start

but yes, agree with the crux of your comment. don't quite remember the public domain protocol for film, but for visual arts work enters the public domain 70 years after the death of the artist.

The Birds - Prime

Prime had a few Hitchcock movies and I was going to do a run through them but they suddenly became renters ( I dont rent)

Anyway The Birds - the playground scene is iconic and would have built tension at the time but knowing it did dilute it for me

Unlike Psycho this took over just under an hour ( 2hour movie) to get to the central plot of the movie

But overall its a movie that doesnt explain itself. A woman follows a man and birds attack and the movie ends

Marnie and Frenzy are on Binge and The Lady Vanishes is on Prime but it is pretty badly slim pickings out there.

It is a long build, which I find fascinating. I recently rewatched it with my partner, who was watching it for the first time, and they said to me “Is anything ever actually going to happen?” about three seconds before the birds attack the birthday party. I think that’s part of Hitchcock’s genius - he draws out the banality for so long until the exact moment where you’re getting fed up with this not going anywhere, and then finally it’s the end of the world.

The Birds - Prime

I suppose it's the horror of the everyday and ordinary gone wrong. The Mist seems like a good modern equivalent.
Happened to read The Birds by Daphne du Maurier before even knowing the movie existed, which was very good.

There's loads of Hitchcock around in the 2nd hand market, like ebay if you still watch DVD's. A lot of bootlegs too, but given the difficulty in getting to watch some of this at all I don't feel too guilty. We loved 'Lifeboat', shot almost entirely in the boat.

Bought this for the wife, a when it was released

which meant embarrassingly I first saw Psycho only a handful of years ago.

The Fall Guy.
Surprisingly funny, doesn't take itself too seriously. The story is a bit weak and some characters were a bit too over the top - (The red head Aussie Henchman was just cringeworthy) but maybe that's the angle they were going for.
Definitely worth seeing.
7.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Followed this with Star Wars, so as it ticked over to May the Fourth, Luke was beginning his trench run. Hard to believe this is nearly 50 years old with some effects still looking pretty impressive. Also some that looks little ropey and some cheesy dialogue but this is sci-fi world-building at its best. 9.5/10.
Followed this with Empire Strikes Back on the big screen. A timely reminder of why this is my favourite film of all time. I love A New Hope but this improved on it in every way. More action, more crackling dialogue, a more menacing Darth Vader, great final lightsaber fight and that reveal. All the better for being on the big screen. 10/10

The Fall Guy.
Surprisingly funny, doesn't take itself too seriously. The story is a bit weak and some characters were a bit too over the top - (The red head Aussie Henchman was just cringeworthy) but maybe that's the angle they were going for.
Definitely worth seeing.
7.5/10
Used to like the TV show.

The best parts about this movie were Arnold, and the concept. Everything else fell apart. Lost interest mid way through. Not a movie worth rewatching but by all means worth a watch.

5.5/10

Last Action Hero hits different as an adult. I remember being disappointed watching this at the cinema in my childhood but the satire and the whole concept is refreshing. It still gets savaged by the critics but they're incredibly vapid individuals with no concept of humor or fun. Movies don't always have to be precise at the core with respect to the fundamentals of film making and I think this is what those critics fail to appreciate.

The film definitely stands the test of time and well worth watching 30 years later.

8/10

1714843813171.png

Last edited:
I used to like Last Action Hero, til I read about how much the original concept was butchered by Hollywood

57 Seconds.

I did not enjoy this film at all

2/10

Firstly, the movie was a blatant rip of many other movies and tv shows such as Futurama. Disappointingly, the movie did not offer anything fresh or unique from any of those movies. While an interesting concept, it's completely botched with a complete lack of direction. The plot overall made absolutely no sense, was riddled with plot holes and left me confused. The ending made no sense, characters and sections of the story were left unaddressed. Franklin was an absolute idiot with multiple instances of him making illogical decisions. His relationship with Jala was incredibly contrived and did not add to the story, nor did it seem realistic.

Josh Hutcherson fails to inspire and overall the cast is sub par.

I watched the whole thing because I invested myself into it and I was going to finish it.

I honestly couldn't find any redeeming features to the movie.

Will not watch again.

Certain Women

Want to say I enjoyed this one but didn't quite connect overall. Definitely has it's moments. Lily Gladstone's ability to convey so much emotion through a minor expression change, hopefully we see plenty of her post-KOTFM.

Paris Texas

The visuals. Such a deep emotional story. That scene between the glass window, finally watched the classic.

Certain Women

Want to say I enjoyed this one but didn't quite connect overall. Definitely has it's moments. Lily Gladstone's ability to convey so much emotion through a minor expression change, hopefully we see plenty of her post-KOTFM.

Paris Texas

The visuals. Such a deep emotional story. That scene between the glass window, finally watched the classic.
Travis Henderson is one of the greatest cinematic characters of all time and the monologue at the end, maaaannn. Powerful movie.

57 Seconds.

I did not enjoy this film at all

2/10

Firstly, the movie was a blatant rip of many other movies and tv shows such as Futurama. Disappointingly, the movie did not offer anything fresh or unique from any of those movies. While an interesting concept, it's completely botched with a complete lack of direction. The plot overall made absolutely no sense, was riddled with plot holes and left me confused. The ending made no sense, characters and sections of the story were left unaddressed. Franklin was an absolute idiot with multiple instances of him making illogical decisions. His relationship with Jala was incredibly contrived and did not add to the story, nor did it seem realistic.

Josh Hutcherson fails to inspire and overall the cast is sub par.

I watched the whole thing because I invested myself into it and I was going to finish it.

I honestly couldn't find any redeeming features to the movie.

Will not watch again.

Did you check the rating before watching?

Me personally, I can't watch stuff rated lower than a 6.5 on IMDB. Surely there are others like me?

Sometimes I'll purposely put a film on and not check the rating so I'm in a positive mind set and not judging the film beforehand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back