what's the scariest movie you've ever watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems lots of TV's tend to screw up after people watch The Ring. I've owned about 10 TV's in my time, and not once has one just turned off or gone to static. A good movie creates myths, I suppose.

I read somewhere that someone showed the film to a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls in a theatre, and at the end of the film got an actor to crawl out of the curtains below TV looking exactly like the girl from the film. Of course, they all went ape s**t.

It seems lots of TV's tend to screw up after people watch The Ring. I've owned about 10 TV's in my time, and not once has one just turned off or gone to static. A good movie creates myths, I suppose.

I read somewhere that someone showed the film to a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls in a theatre, and at the end of the film got an actor to crawl out of the curtains below TV looking exactly like the girl from the film. Of course, they all went ape s**t.

Hahahaha yes, i remember seeing footage of that. They all s**t themselves major. All crying and pissing their pants. Hilarious. :D

Just a heads up, Carrie is on channel 7 tonight, 10.50pm in WA, guessing on the same time over east. Also Secret Window is on 9 at 10.40pm, top little movie this one, Depp is great. :thumbsu:

i can see how the bit where the chicken blood is poured on the girl can freak out a little kid. although they could've made it scarier

Scary Movies

Hellraiser
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Come and See
Psycho
Vampyr
Scanners
Videodrome
Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer
Peeping Tom
The Descent

Not as scary but still fantastic

Eraserhead
Bad Taste
Braindead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
House of Wax
Deep Red
Suspiria
The Howling
The Fly
Andy Warhol's Blood for Dracula

I saw Alien at the cinemas when I was about 12 - scared the absolute s**t out of me. It seriously ****ed me up.

Ended up in my parents bed for the next 2 to 3 nifgts afterward and it was about 3 months before I could walk outside in the dark by myself.

Took about 15 years before I could watch that nmovie again.

No other movie comes close for me, although The Thing was pretty scary (saw it with some mates when I was 15) and 28 Days later had its moments.

Watching stephen king's IT when i was about 5 and freaking out about clowns and sewer's, also the blair witch project when i was about 11 coz i thought it was all real.

the people under the stairs is a good wes craven film :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It still comes back to "The Omen" for me. The first one. I was glued to my living room couch for a week, with all the lights on the whole time.

Scary Movies

Hellraiser
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Come and See
Psycho
Vampyr
Scanners
Videodrome
Henry - Portrait of a Serial Killer
Peeping Tom
The Descent

Not as scary but still fantastic

Eraserhead
Bad Taste
Braindead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
House of Wax
Deep Red
Suspiria
The Howling
The Fly
Andy Warhol's Blood for Dracula

I saw that as more of a comedy, than a horror.

Never seen a movie that has scared me.

I love Hellraiser.

It works best on a conceptual level. I always thought a skinless guy killing people to get back to normal is horrific. I also liked dark world of sexual depravity, that gargantuan level of desire which brings Frank thorugh to a sexual adventures to a dimension which really shows the subjectivity of pain and pleasure and how they are inextricably linked.

I also like that it was situated in the home and brings horror back into the normal situation of life but opens up so much more that we don't realise that is possibly out there.

The cenobites are so clinical too. You can see their pain. All good.

Clive Barker is a master and his Books of Blood are amazing.

Sorry you didn't dig it and don't get scared at all. I don't know whether to envy or pity you.

I watched Ring (Jap) when it first aired in 2003 on SBS...I was 16 at the time, watched it alone at night with no idea what it was about (except I knew it was meant to be very scary).

Got through it thinking geez, this is OK, not too bad...then the final scene...Christ...couldn't sleep that night. I think that's still the only time a film has really ****ed me up.

For the record (spoilers) there are only a few scenes in that film which even vaguely are scary/unsettling: the opening (brilliantly tense), the blurred photos (just eerie), the flash of Sadako in the television after the woman watches the video for the first time, and the last scene.

Credit to the filmmakers that they managed to keep the tension running for 100 minutes.

Recently The Descent got a good rise out of me...the one nightvision scene was excellent, and the film was generally enjoyable except for a deplorable ending.

Jap grudge had a couple of good scenes--the bed, and the staircrawling. Staircrawling was very disturbing.

also don't tell me I'm the only one who would cover my eyes when the Tutankhamen mummy appeared during the Tintin opening sequence...that always scared me as a kid! Great episode that, had the comic too.

When I was a kid, these are the movies that scared the crap outta me:
- The Birds
- Gremlins
- What ever happened to baby jane.
- Cape Fear
- The hand that rocks the cradle.

(Yeah I was a wuss :eek:).

As for gory horror movies, imo, we're all desensitized to them now. Halloween, Friday the 13th, Exorsist are just really lame now. Stuff like Silence of the Lambs are much more scary, imo.

I watched Ring (Jap) when it first aired in 2003 on SBS...I was 16 at the time, watched it alone at night with no idea what it was about (except I knew it was meant to be very scary).

Got through it thinking geez, this is OK, not too bad...then the final scene...Christ...couldn't sleep that night. I think that's still the only time a film has really ****ed me up.

For the record (spoilers) there are only a few scenes in that film which even vaguely are scary/unsettling: the opening (brilliantly tense), the blurred photos (just eerie), the flash of Sadako in the television after the woman watches the video for the first time, and the last scene.

Credit to the filmmakers that they managed to keep the tension running for 100 minutes.

Recently The Descent got a good rise out of me...the one nightvision scene was excellent, and the film was generally enjoyable except for a deplorable ending.

Jap grudge had a couple of good scenes--the bed, and the staircrawling. Staircrawling was very disturbing.

The UK version of the Descent has the unhappy ending which was so much better. I really really liked that movie

The UK version of the Descent has the unhappy ending which was so much better. I really really liked that movie

I enjoyed it, too.

'Dog Soliders' is made by the same bloke and is better IMO. Check that one out.

I was watching Friday the 13th yesterday for the first time. All the killing and stuff didn't really scare me, but at the end, when I wasn't expecting any more killing, the dead kid comes up from the water and grabs the chick from the canoe!!!

God, I almost s**t myself!!! Didn't expect it.

i saw the movie "candyman" when i was years old. That was actually rather s**t scary for me back then....

me and a mate watched it when we were 10....i dont htink we spoke about it for about 12 months

Remove this Banner Ad

Back