Competitions What's your rarest/best Richmond footy card?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not true. They will only go up in value while people still want them. I've seen some series from the 1930s and 1940s for example really drop off. 1980s have gone from worth something to now can barely even give them away, prices halved and more.

But with old school collectors dying off and not being replaced - because old footy cards can't be downloaded - I think we will find that, with a few exceptions, the values drop even further.

Yes and no from me
As long as footy is around there will always be a desire for cards
Its a circle type scenario, maybe this generation (facebook etc) will not want footy cards, maybe later the desire will be there
I can say for myself, was never into footy cards pre 35 years of age, but now keen to own a piece of history
I agree with you on some of the common (abundant numbers available) cards in the 1930-1940's have been steady or lost value
But when 2030-2040 comes along who can say what the desire will be, bit like the stock market supply=demand=supply

Yes and no from me
Its a circle type scenario, maybe this generation (facebook etc) will not want footy cards, maybe later the desire will be there
I can say for myself, was never into footy cards pre 35 years of age, but now keen to own a piece of history
I agree with you on some of the common (abundant numbers available) cards in the 1930-1940's have been steady or lost value
But when 2030-2040 comes along who can say what the desire will be, bit like the stock market supply=demand=supply
It sounds the same as comics, it ebbs and flows. Certain comics key issues in low numbers will always be worth money, it may drop for a few years but will rise again. Comics printed in huge numbers when people started collecting them are never going to be worth money. If it's a key issue, old in low numbers and good condition it will always demand a price.

It sounds the same as comics, it ebbs and flows. Certain comics key issues in low numbers will always be worth money, it may drop for a few years but will rise again. Comics printed in huge numbers when people started collecting them are never going to be worth money. If it's a key issue, old in low numbers and good condition it will always demand a price.

Yes agree
Art, diamonds etc will always be collected. who wouldn't want the MONA LISA if it ever came up for sale (whether you liked art or not)
Supply=demand
Cars are the same, a $3500 Ford GTO or Holden Monaro in the 1970's are worth $100,000's now
But what will they be worth when electric cars come along (and no petrol is sold) more or less???
The future desire for antiques is hard to say.
Anyway collecting is fun and enjoyable, the value of what you have isn't the be all. one mans trash is another mans treasure

If i'm not mistaken The Cardtrader
This is from the 1935 Football Exercise Book cards (cut out from the cover of a mid 30's school exercise books), only 12 in the set.
Up there with the rarest cards/sets going
Correct. Very hard to get - took me 15 years - though not even close to the most valuable cards going around.

And not my "best" either. Pretty ugly really. I'd have to think about my best

Last edited:
It sounds the same as comics, it ebbs and flows. Certain comics key issues in low numbers will always be worth money, it may drop for a few years but will rise again.

As someone who has dealt as many footy cards as pretty much anyone in Australia over the last 20-25 years, I do hope you're both right, the hobby is much more fun in a boom than the current flat state, which has been in steep decline since the peak around 2013

As someone who has dealt as many footy cards as pretty much anyone in Australia over the last 20-25 years, I do hope you're both right, the hobby is much more fun in a boom than the current flat state, which has been in steep decline since the peak around 2013
comics peaked in the 90s. Although the Marvel movies have recentely pushed up prices, but for old 60s comics. Then again the 60's early 70's was a boom for comics. Who knows really?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I purchase cards from a broker (buys ands sells all over oz) who rightly tempered my expectations of quick returns on expected purchases
He always tells me that its a longer term investment and a enjoyment of players past, Richmond and other teams players
Wondering The Cardtrader are you a seller of cards on EBAY???

I’ve kept all my footy and cricket cards including a few full sets from late 70’s and 80’s.
I’ve never really thought about them or if they were worth anything. Got some old comics too.

Yes agree
Art, diamonds etc will always be collected. who wouldn't want the MONA LISA if it ever came up for sale (whether you liked art or not)
Supply=demand
Cars are the same, a $3500 Ford GTO or Holden Monaro in the 1970's are worth $100,000's now
But what will they be worth when electric cars come along (and no petrol is sold) more or less???
The future desire for antiques is hard to say.
Anyway collecting is fun and enjoyable, the value of what you have isn't the be all. one mans trash is another mans treasure
Man i have over 20 Sansui amplifiers and recievers stashed away in the mancave...all working and in minty nick...
Have watched them slowly increase in value over the past few years...
Give it another decade it may make thinning out the Sui herd worthwhile... :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back