When did you first Dare to Dream?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
When did you seriously think Richmond had a chance at winning the whole show in 2017.

I know some of you will say 'After the first practice game', and some will say '27-minute mark of the last quarter in the GF'.

For me it was the Hawthorn game. The Hawks were still the most feared team, they were coming hard after a bad start (they had dropped Vickery for good:p:p), they had a chance at the finals.

In a 7-week period they played:
Collingwood and Freo - put them away easily
Adelaide - beat them (in Adelaide)
GWS - Draw
Geelong (lost by 3 points - bad goalkicking)
Sydney (beat them)

And then us. The last of the clear Top-5 teams in the comp. And we handled them comfortably. Didn't thrash them or anything - but never looked like losing. The way a good team beats an average, middle-of-the-road side. You know - the way Richmond NEVER do.

It was then I thought 'You know, if things go our way..............................'.

I honestly thought I would never see another flag again. Even this year I expected us to fall at some stage as that is just what I'm used to.

It has just been the the most perfect season and 2017 is probably the greatest flag in our clubs history. This season could not have gone any better. What a team.

RICHMOND 2017 PREMIERS.......It still hard to even think it all happened.

October 1st, 2016.

a4a5648fad0ea23678c20c49cc5d07ba.png

Seriously though? After we beat the Hawks. Darth Tiger had the inspired decision to get MRC after that game, and there we were yesterday.

I dreamt we could win when I took my 1 year old bubba and we laid some yellow flowers down at my parents grave. Im not a God fearing man myself but I asked my parents to give me a sign that we can do it and my Bub just turned around and she gave me a massive smile like "don't worry dad, they got this".

During the game when Georgie kicked his goal in the 3rd I turned to my wife and gave a look like "I think we're gonna win".

At half time yesterday I was extremely confident.
Our boys were doing to Adelaide what we did to GWS in the 3rd Quarter and Geelong in the last. I new there'd be no taking the foot of the throat.
Dimma said (I think after the Saints game) that our best footy was still infront of us and he was right.

It was after the first final for me.

That was a huge mental demon to overcome

Same for me. Opened up the likely gf spot and once there you never know. Still don't believe it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it was when we professionally towelled up St Kilda in the last round to secure a top 4 spot.
That was the game that showed me that we had changed.
Then the pounding of Geelong confirmed it..

So proud

Can't remember exactly which round but it was late in the season and jack said in an interview something like "we don't have the best list in the competition but we will scrap and battle and tackle no matter the opposition". It reminded me of seasons in my sporting life when my team had won grand finals despite not having the best list of players but instead bringing huge defensive intensity (especially playing basketball). Something about the way he said it and that they were being realistic in their self-appraisal just gave me a gut feeling and I said to my wife that I thought we were a sneaky chance.

And then us. The last of the clear Top-5 teams in the comp. And we handled them comfortably. Didn't thrash them or anything - but never looked like losing. The way a good team beats an average, middle-of-the-road side. You know - the way Richmond NEVER do.
Agreed - I was at the game with a die-hard hawks fan. At some point in the last Caddy kicked his third, I patted my mate on the back and said "it's over buddy". I think that was a huge moment for both of us in a lot of ways, also hilarious.

But my moment was the Round 18 win v. GWS. That day I called RFC and bought my guaranteed GF ticket :thumbsu:

August 20th
I did the ladder predictor and realized we're a big chance to face off against Geelong at the G in the quali, then have 2 MCG finals against interstate teams to bring it home.

I always knew we'd be back in the thick of it after Dimma came out at the start of the year and said he was going to 'let the boys play', but I was hoping for finals and maybe get a finals win, never thought we could win the whole thing though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back