Where do you rank Scott Lycett among the rucks in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

10 goals in 8 games (all in his last 6) and does well to stay out of the way otherwise up forward. Very solid tap ruckman, but does benefit from taking on the back ups and/or tired first rucks. Gets a bit of it around the ground. Has a nice physical presence. He's a good player.

Not sure how he'd go as a first ruck without Nic Nat. He'd be better than some that's for sure, but doubt he'd be up with the best.

Also not sure how he'd go as a forward/ruck in a side with a lesser player than Nic Nat alongside him. Nic Nat is brilliant at what he does in the ruck but also offers something forward, so Lycett can have a good run in the ruck. It's not really 50/50 but it's not exactly 85/15 like some teams do it.

He's really surprised me this year. Played a ripper of a match tonight. Big physical ruck that knows how to hit the scoreboard when thrown down forward.

port should have tried harder to get the big man back to alberton

Goldstein
Naitanui
Gawn
Mumford
Martin
Jacobs
Kreuzer
Hickey
Mcevoy
Lycett
Sinclair
Grundy
Stanley
Maric
Lobbe

So 10th I guess. I've probably forgotten some people. I did omit the likes of Tippett, who I consider a KPF before a ruck. Also didn't include Sandi because of lack of 2016 form

Goldstein
Naitanui
Gawn
Mumford
Martin
Jacobs
Kreuzer
Hickey
Mcevoy
Lycett
Sinclair
Grundy
Stanley
Maric
Lobbe

So 10th I guess. I've probably forgotten some people. I did omit the likes of Tippett, who I consider a KPF before a ruck. Also didn't include Sandi because of lack of 2016 form
How can you omit Tippett when he averages 11 more hitouts per game than Lycett? He smashes the highly-lauded Mumford on almost every metric (+5 disposals per game, averaging 4x the goals, marks inside 50 etc. etc.) while averaging only 4 less hitouts per game

Yes, he does spend less minutes in the middle but his ruck work is being criminally underrated by pundits. He's been one of our consistently best performers for the past year.

How can you omit Tippett when he averages 11 more hitouts per game than Lycett? He smashes the highly-lauded Mumford on almost every metric (+5 disposals per game, averaging 4x the goals, marks inside 50 etc. etc.) while averaging only 4 less hitouts per game

Yes, he does spend less minutes in the middle but his ruck work is being criminally underrated by pundits. He's been one of our consistently best performers for the past year.
I dunno, because I made that list in 3 minutes and decided to exclude people I consider forwards? I pretty much said that already

I don't know... 'Toby McLean' has a very long thread running and I'm not entirely sure who he plays for.
Exactly. The OP never suggested Lycett was the game's greatest ever ruckman or that he would walk into every other team, he just asked where people rank him.

It's better than a thread of "Did [some bloke I've never heard of who has played about 3 games so far] make the right decision".

Exactly. The OP never suggested Lycett was the game's greatest ever ruckman or that he would walk into every other team, he just asked where people rank him.

It's better than a thread of "Did [some bloke I've never heard of who has played about 3 games so far] make the right decision".
Bailey Rice. Actually played 0 games and doesnt look close to playing one anytime soon.

Lycett is only 23 so legitimate OP imo.

10 goals in 8 games (all in his last 6) and does well to stay out of the way otherwise up forward. Very solid tap ruckman, but does benefit from taking on the back ups and/or tired first rucks. Gets a bit of it around the ground. Has a nice physical presence. He's a good player.

Not sure how he'd go as a first ruck without Nic Nat. He'd be better than some that's for sure, but doubt he'd be up with the best.

Also not sure how he'd go as a forward/ruck in a side with a lesser player than Nic Nat alongside him. Nic Nat is brilliant at what he does in the ruck but also offers something forward, so Lycett can have a good run in the ruck. It's not really 50/50 but it's not exactly 85/15 like some teams do it.
he's probably a better number 1 ruck. biggest question going into the season was if he was able to complement nic nat and make an impact up forward which sinclair did last year. Last season he had OP and was struggling and was a late call up to cover Nic nat and sinclair was out injured that week. He rucked by him self against Mcevoy and ceglar (two solid players) and had no support when mcgovern went down. Had 39 hitouts, 7 clearances and 21 touches that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OMG no **** you mothergoose Lycett NUMBA 4!

Actually #29...

Anyway, arguably the best performed second ruck so far this season but given Naitanui rucks 2/3 of the time I'm not sure how much that is worth. Would he gun it as #1 for a team like Port or Richmond who are struggling in that dept? Hard to say. Has been productive around the ground and up forward, though. I'll take 12 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles and over a goal a game from our second ruck any day.

Came in last year after not playing for 15 rounds when both Naitanui and Sinclair went out and had 39 hitouts, 20 touches and 7 tackles which was really impressive. Struggled (with Sinclair) to get a touch the next week against Sandilands and wasn't seen again for the year. This year has played 8 of 9 and has been a lot more consistent in his output.

Actually #29...

Anyway, arguably the best performed second ruck so far this season but given Naitanui rucks 2/3 of the time I'm not sure how much that is worth. Would he gun it as #1 for a team like Port or Richmond who are struggling in that dept? Hard to say. Has been productive around the ground and up forward, though. I'll take 12 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles and over a goal a game from our second ruck any day.

Came in last year after not playing for 15 rounds when both Naitanui and Sinclair went out and had 39 hitouts, 20 touches and 7 tackles which was really impressive. Struggled (with Sinclair) to get a touch the next week against Sandilands and wasn't seen again for the year. This year has played 8 of 9 and has been a lot more consistent in his output.

He's the single greatest ruckman of all time and we're all blessed to be alive at this time to watch him play.

I think you're criminally underrating him

Of all the humans that have ever humaned - he is the best human

I think the fact that WCE had to put a 4 year deal on the table shows that they definitely had a good crack at him.

Lycett staying at the Eagles on a long term deal had a knock on effect to the Sinclair-Jetta deal, funny how things work out.

I doubt there is a club with a better record of ruckmen

gardiner, cox, natanui with the support of sinclair, lycett and lynch

I'm sure I've missed a few to

Do you watch many Eagles matches?

Not a negative or sarcastic comment, by the way, far from it. You always seem quite knowledgeable of how we play and our players in general. Another spot-on post.

One of the most improved and fora second ruck he rates highly but that's the crux of it. Been happy with his year, apart from Vickery gate.

I've been very critical in the past, especially under Worsfold when we went through the 3 rucks phase because as a forward there was little to no pressure offered with him in the 22, but he is having a really good impact in 2016.

He's a physical presence who looks like he has worked super hard on his past defensive deficiencies and is an attacking option for us in the front half. Would be averaging at least a goal a game in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back