List Mgmt. Where does our improvement come from in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Might give Top 4 a big shake too...

giphy.gif

Racing the clock now to put the structure in place before the list as a whole moves into the window

No use hitting your window missing key components like a Full forward, a Full back and outside run

If we don't pull it off in time it's back to the drawing board and another rebuild so they'll have to go all out next year and land their targets... and they better be big targets that address those problems

Wells needs to be fit. He will not improve his ability at this stage of his career.

Didn't say anything about his ability improving, said I'd expect him to be better in 2018 due to familiarity with his team mates. That's more about how he applies those abilities.

The issue with us is that:

1. I could see us improve greatly with Maynard and De Goey becoming our midfield engine and Moore, Elliot and Fasolo kicking 30+ each. Could see us reaching top 4 without much changing. But...

2. I could also see us go the other way. Nothing clicks, confidence drops even more and suddenly the 12 point losses of 2016 become 32 point losses.

Honestly it’s anyone’s guess st this stage.

I think Wells applied his ability fine.

Happy to agree to disagree. I think he'll be even better in 2018. At a minimum, he's coming off an uninterrupted preseason (to date anyway), and he'll have a much greater understanding of his team mates.

Serious question.
Why do we need to simplify the game plan? ie Why / how did the game plan become too complex?
I think we need to take the first option more often and be prepared to kick to more 1v1 contests.

That's what they said in Jonestown wasn't it?
I think one of the greatest ever mass murders by one of the greatest ever nut jobs wouldn't be the example I'd be using to amplify a point.

I'll tell you where it doesn't come from....the 2nd round of the 2018 draft.
But maybe from the third round 2018 draft :p

From the afl website

"'Bucks' was really good to me this year – I really respect him – and he was honest with me. He said Darcy was going down back, and obviously we've got 'Howey' (Jeremy Howe) down there who's an absolute gun, and 'Dunny' (Lynden Dunn) had a really good season, so they felt they had enough defenders," he said.

Darcy heading back into defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the afl website

"'Bucks' was really good to me this year – I really respect him – and he was honest with me. He said Darcy was going down back, and obviously we've got 'Howey' (Jeremy Howe) down there who's an absolute gun, and 'Dunny' (Lynden Dunn) had a really good season, so they felt they had enough defenders," he said.

So what kind of forward line set up will Collingwood have next year?

Happy to go with a smaller forward line perhaps like Richmond with just Reid surrounded by Faz, Elliott, Daicos etc?

From the afl website

Who said it?

So what kind of forward line set up will Collingwood have next year?

Happy to go with a smaller forward line perhaps like Richmond with just Reid surrounded by Faz, Elliott, Daicos etc?
Key to that success was having an A grade KPF happy to sacrifice and do the hard work. Needs to kick 50 goals also. Reiwoldt was huge in their success. I like Reid but he doesnt have the ability to anchor a forward line as the only big man. For most teams that wont be sustainable.

Key to that success was having an A grade KPF happy to sacrifice and do the hard work. Needs to kick 50 goals also. Reiwoldt was huge in their success. I like Reid but he doesnt have the ability to anchor a forward line as the only big man. For most teams that wont be sustainable.

Agreed but then what will Collingwood do if Moore plays defence as Buckley has stated?

Agreed but then what will Collingwood do if Moore plays defence as Buckley has stated?
Good question. Cox will be down there a bit although he will do a bigger proportion of ruck duties and Grundy will do more time forward than he has. Cox is the key here if he can continue to improve. He was a bit of a contested marking machine in the VFL this year and could combine ruckwork with also being a forward threat at that level. Trick will be to transfer that to the AFL. I have less confidence about Grundy being an effective forward threat.

It seems illogical to me to play an AA CHB up forward in order to play a developing tall/KPP/Ruckman down back. CHB is easier than KP forward. Let the old bloke play in his best position and develop the young gun.

It seems illogical to me to play an AA CHB up forward in order to play a developing tall/KPP/Ruckman down back. CHB is easier than KP forward. Let the old bloke play in his best position and develop the young gun.
Exactly - also is Reid more prone to soft tissue injuries down fwd than he is down back? - more twisting etc needed - just asking not announcing as fact

Adams can go up another level i think, and would love to see him do it and get in AA discussions.

JDG and Maynard both have high talent ceilings still, and would love to see them get more time on the ball so they can start grabbing games and tearing them apart.

Moore has a lot of improvement in him too, and i would be happy with even a small increase in his consistency and confidence, as he is still young and can take his time.

H-E to improve too; i see a big 2018 ahead for him.

Exactly - also is Reid more prone to soft tissue injuries down fwd than he is down back? - more twisting etc needed - just asking not announcing as fact
The other side of that coin is he can manage his bursts better in the forwardline, in defence you have to go with the opponent even if he's trying to blow you up

Going by the last game against Melbourne, I can see Goldsack back in the forward line
This.

If we put Moore behind the ball, it allows us to move Goldsack or even Howe up forward.

DeGoey will still spend plenty of time rotating between midfield and forward.

Pretty clear we will try Cox n Grundy combo, so that becomes one of the big forward targets.

Would be happy with Reid and Moore both playing back, leave Dunne as backup.

Up forward have Cox but then a collection of mid sized guys like Elliott, Fasolo, Goldsack, DeGoey, WHE and perhaps even Pendlebury spending a bit of time forward to give us a great mix of options.

I'm not sure about the injuries he just isn;t as good up forward as he can be down back. To be honest I'm not sure he is the player he was regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back