List Mgmt. Where does our improvement come from in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Team finding the right balance.

That might mean Cox as the single tall target with 5 mosquito's at his feet and Moore coming off center half back.

Development of guys like DeGoey, Phillips, Smith, Langdon, Maynard

Solid years by Crisp, Varcoe, Howe, Fasolo

Injury free years for Elliot Reid

Same old from Adams, Treloar, Pendles

1 of Brown x2, kirby or daicos being a dangerous forward

As others have mentioned, improvement has to come from the young and the fringe players.im looking at:

Maynard
Cox
De Goey
Broomhead
Aish
Daicos
Brown
Sharenberg
Philips
Mclarty

If we could get 10-15% improvement across the board from them, we’ll be heaps better.
Maynard - yes
Cox - yes
De Goey - Possible yes but my gut tells me he will not be a pie for long. Don't think his heart is in it at Collingwood
Broomhead - Flop. Will be the same old same old
Aish - Flop. Will be the same old same old
Daicos - Too soon to expect too much
Brown - Too soon to expect too much
Shaz - Who knows? Will cut him some slack. He deserves that much, but haven't seen anything which has excited me.
Philips - Will be a good honest player but nothing more.
Mclarty - Have no idea but doubt he will be the difference maker as he hasn't even made his debut yet.

So of the players you mention I see two possibly 3 taking the next step.

Development?

Development :thumbsu:

If we can have at least half a dozen of the 10-25 group take the next step we’ll improve.

The question I have is did we implement enough change over the off-season to buck the trend of ineptitude in that area over the previous 4 seasons?

Maynard - yes
Cox - yes
De Goey - Possible yes but my gut tells me he will not be a pie for long. Don't think his heart is in it at Collingwood
Shaz - Who knows? Will cut him some slack. He deserves that much, but haven't seen anything which has excited me.
Mclarty - Have no idea but doubt he will be the difference maker as he hasn't even made his debut yet.

Might be that it’s only two or three. Even three would be a bit of improvement. I think more of them can improve by about 10% though. According to reports Aish has been burning up the track in preseason, so it’s possible he will improve. broomhead has the talent but Just needs - like sharenberg - a break from injuries.

Cox I’m much more doubtful about tbh. He’s a lot older and I’m not sure he can improve As much as we’d need for him but to play with Grundy.

It's type of improvement that's important, for example the skills focus to suit the game plan. You'll notice from the training reports that there's lot's match sim and Moore training in a defensive position and Reid training forward.

I'd imagine the club are backing all of those players you've mentioned to execute a not too different game plan from 2017 with some chess piece movements. A little tweaking

Yep agree, though if Cox marked it more, if Aish and Moore both got it more, if deGoey stayed out of the clubs one more night a week and improved his fitness, if Maynard had one less brain fade per game, if Broomhead had one less injury during the year....

Might be that it’s only two or three. Even three would be a bit of improvement. I think more of them can improve by about 10% though. According to reports Aish has been burning up the track in preseason, so it’s possible he will improve. broomhead has the talent but Just needs - like sharenberg - a break from injuries.

Cox I’m much more doubtful about tbh. He’s a lot older and I’m not sure he can improve As much as we’d need for him but to play with Grundy.
Just for the sake of discussion my list of where the improvement is going to come from which will get us to the 8 is the following
Maynard
Cox
These two I already mentioned and possibly JDG depending on his head space. Then I would add
WHE - expecting big things from him
Adams - Taking it up another notch
Grundy - Will go to the next level
Elliott - If he can stay on the park he will make a huge difference
Fasolo - I think he has mentally matured and this is going to make a big difference to how he approaches and prepares for games. Think we will see a much more consistent Faz.
Treloar - Already a great player but will take the next step and be uber great.

Just to clarify.
Broomhead has oodles of talent. When I say "flop, will be the same old same old" I'm referring to his constant injuries. I think he is going to be Sinclair Mark II

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You clearly haven't watched the Pies over the last 5 years. We've often gone in with 5 crumbling forwards.
No we haven't. Players like Elliot and Fasolo are not and will never be crumbing forwards. They are leading and marking forwards. They just aren't tall leading/marking forwards. How many crumbing goals have you seen either of them kick? The others I suspect you are referring to are midfielders who as crumbing forwards are makeshift and sub par at best. Those types don't instinctively rove packs and play to the spoil of the tall forwards.

Crumbing forwards are a speciality. Leon Davis and Krakouer were probably the last decent ones we had. I have may have overlooked someone but I can't think of a real crumbing forward since those 2 played.

Edit - my mistake sr36, I didn't read it as crumbling.

Last edited:
Maynard - yes
Cox - yes

I think there's far greater scope for players to move along the draftee to elite continuum than just those mentioned. Every player on the list bar a few has capacity to go to a higher level which will benefit the team.

No we haven't. Players like Elliot and Fasolo are not and will never be crumbing forwards. They are leading and marking forwards. They just aren't tall leading/marking forwards. How many crumbing goals have you seen either of them kick? The others I suspect you are referring to are midfielders who as crumbing forwards are makeshift and sub par at best. Those types don't instinctively rove packs and play to the spoil of the tall forwards.

Crumbing forwards are a speciality. Leon Davis and Krakouer were probably the last decent ones we had. I have may have overlooked someone but I can't think of a real crumbing forward since those 2 played.

It was a joke as the original post said CRUMBLING forwards.

Just for the sake of discussion my list of where the improvement is going to come from which will get us to the 8 is the following
Maynard
Cox
These two I already mentioned and possibly JDG depending on his head space. Then I would add
WHE - expecting big things from him
Adams - Taking it up another notch
Grundy - Will go to the next level
Elliott - If he can stay on the park he will make a huge difference
Fasolo - I think he has mentally matured and this is going to make a big difference to how he approaches and prepares for games. Think we will see a much more consistent Faz.
Treloar - Already a great player but will take the next step and be uber great.

God, imagine if we could get Elliot and Fasolo and WHE in the forward line together!

Development :thumbsu:

If we can have at least half a dozen of the 10-25 group take the next step we’ll improve.

The question I have is did we implement enough change over the off-season to buck the trend of ineptitude in that area over the previous 4 seasons?

Looks that is the intent from the club and certainly looks different from the last 4 off seasons. Time will tell

Yep agree, though if Cox marked it more, if Aish and Moore both got it more, if deGoey stayed out of the clubs one more night a week and improved his fitness, if Maynard had one less brain fade per game, if Broomhead had one less injury during the year....

Apart from Broomy - which is due to in part conditioning, all the rest come down to development. Remember these are relatively young and / or inexperienced players.

To me on face value the club is attempting to address these areas and others, they're not sitting on their hands hoping for improvement anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back