Which team from the bottom 8 will be the bolter of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints. They need an A grade mid (potentially two) before they seriously challenge though.

May is fine and in excellent condition.

Gawn's injury is an inconvenience but he won't miss much, besides Preuss has dropped 10kgs and transformed his body.

Viney and Jones are having proper pre-seasons and are excelling at training, Viney is going to remind people just how good he is.

Including his concrete hands?

May is fine and in excellent condition.

Gawn's injury is an inconvenience but he won't miss much, besides Preuss has dropped 10kgs and transformed his body.

Viney and Jones are having proper pre-seasons and are excelling at training, Viney is going to remind people just how good he is.
Oh dear... viney and jones the two great white hopes! Jones tries to beat three opponents every time he gets the ball and is older than father time and poor old jack” i cant kick 30 metres” viney. The greatest one trick pony in the afl... neither are in the top 50 midfielders in the afl.

Oh dear... viney and jones the two great white hopes! Jones tries to beat three opponents every time he gets the ball and is older than father time and poor old jack” i cant kick 30 metres” viney. The greatest one trick pony in the afl... neither are in the top 50 midfielders in the afl.
When

They aren't an excuse, they are the reason.
Unfortunately they are only a reason for teams that aren't near enough to challenge. The ones that are can cover the injuries and still put wins on the board. Richmond and GWS last year. Hawthorn in 2014. If you're good enough, the injuries should only effect your percentage

Unfortunately they are only a reason for teams that aren't near enough to challenge. The ones that are can cover the injuries and still put wins on the board. Richmond and GWS last year. Hawthorn in 2014. If you're good enough, the injuries should only effect your percentage
I wouldn't compare Richmond to GWS of 2019 or Hawks of 2014. This year, at the height of their injuries, they lost to North by 37, Geelong by 67 and Adelaide by 33 in a three week stretch

When richmond was struggling with injuries, they actually lost quite a bit and went into the bye at 7-6.

Once their players returned from injury they began to win again... this also coincided with the beginning of 7 straight games at the MCG.

I think to say injuries are the reason for why we were so s**t last year is too simplistic. Rather, most of our team were very underdone and unfit relative to other teams stemming from inadequate preseason training due to a large number of off season surgeries. Hence why we were in many games until the fourth quarter when the team was supposedly run off their feet.

I don’t think the club are treating this as an excuse, hence the turnover of most of the assistant coaching group.
I’m still pissed off after last year but I can see why we were so poor. There’ll certainly be no excuses for this year either, and if we s**t the bed again I implore everyone on BF to bash the club because poor performances just won’t be acceptable.

Agree. The Dees were building nicely and made a prelim before last years debacle. They are the logical choice. But as you say, there are if's! May and Lever for one need to start earning their price tag.

Dees are never a safe bet though, so I'd have my $$ on Saints. I really rate Ratten as a coach. Although I'm not as excited about their new recruits as some of their fans, i do think Ratten will get the best out of them.

Freo is too much of an unknown. Hill and Langdon are losses and they have an unproven new coach. Surely will be better than Lyon though. Really like their drafting as well. Henry and Walters could be electrifying and if Hogan can stay injury free and get some form, they could be a huge improver. Still not convinced about their midfield though.
You can have an average midfield and still post half decent scores with freos forward line regardless if Hogan is playing or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints. In a couple of seasons clubs will be trying to find the next Ratts. Ie a coach who was supposedly on the scrap heap
Yep, can coach. I personally think the Saints have just a middle of the road list, but i feel with a decent coach like Ratts they will make the 8.

That is why i also feel the Dees miss. I'm just not sold on Goodwin. This season will be telling for his career as a coach. Used injuries as an excuse for last year, doesn't have the same issue so far this preseason. Must improve and at the very least push for finals or he's in trouble. I think we'll improve surely, but I just dont see us making finals.

That is why i also feel the Dees miss. I'm just not sold on Goodwin. This season will be telling for his career as a coach. Used injuries as an excuse for last year, doesn't have the same issue so far this preseason. Must improve and at the very least push for finals or he's in trouble. I think we'll improve surely, but I just dont see us making finals.

I'd be surprised if you dont make finals. Super soft draw, one of the best defences in the league, top 2 ruckman, decent midfield (Oliver's a top 15 mid already IMO). Forward line sucks, but Trac is surely ready to break out and I dont mind Wiedeman.

I wouldn't compare Richmond to GWS of 2019 or Hawks of 2014. This year, at the height of their injuries, they lost to North by 37, Geelong by 67 and Adelaide by 33 in a three week stretch

Yet though we lost our entire leadership group for most of the 12 rounds, by round 10 we were on 7-3 win loss.

Carry on with you with your narrative VD

When richmond was struggling with injuries, they actually lost quite a bit and went into the bye at 7-6.

Once their players returned from injury they began to win again... this also coincided with the beginning of 7 straight games at the MCG.

You realise before the last 3 weeks leading to the bye, we were 7-3, having only played 2 home games in that stretch?

Kids were stuffed by that stage and the bye could not come quick enough.

I think to say injuries are the reason for why we were so s**t last year is too simplistic. Rather, most of our team were very underdone and unfit relative to other teams stemming from inadequate preseason training due to a large number of off season surgeries. Hence why we were in many games until the fourth quarter when the team was supposedly run off their feet.

I don’t think the club are treating this as an excuse, hence the turnover of most of the assistant coaching group.
I’m still pissed off after last year but I can see why we were so poor. There’ll certainly be no excuses for this year either, and if we s**t the bed again I implore everyone on BF to bash the club because poor performances just won’t be acceptable.
I didn't realise there was an assistant coach cull. Who are Melbourne's assistants? Chaplin still there?

Yep, Ninthorn with a 108.74% 7th best in 2019, total injustice, humiliated the GWS Giants twice.

Despite having an undersized back six, Hawthorn ranked 3rd in points conceded (haven’t conceded over 100 points since Round 5 against Geelong), ranked 1st in contested marks and 1st in intercept marks. The inclusion of Patton and Frost will allow Gunston and Sicily to freewheel as they’ll have no suitable matchups. :moustache:

You realise before the last 3 weeks leading to the bye, we were 7-3, having only played 2 home games in that stretch?

Kids were stuffed by that stage and the bye could not come quick enough.
Yet though we lost our entire leadership group for most of the 12 rounds, by round 10 we were on 7-3 win loss.

Carry on with you with your narrative VD
The point was we weren't able to cover injuries, which if you look at the first half of the season in its entirety we couldn't. We did pretty well considering, but there's no way we would have gone all the way if we had that injury run in the second half of the season rather than the first.

Despite having an undersized back six, Hawthorn ranked 3rd in points conceded (haven’t conceded over 100 points since Round 5 against Geelong), ranked 1st in contested marks and 1st in intercept marks. The inclusion of Patton and Frost will allow Gunston and Sicily to freewheel as they’ll have no suitable matchups. :moustache:
MCG: Hawthorn 10-11-71 defeated GWS Giants 5-8-38 (Round 8)
Canberra: Hawthorn 13-7-85 defeated GWS Giants 4-5-29 (Round 21)

136 Marks at the MCG and only 66 Marks in Canberra in the snow and yet a similar domination, coaching 101.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back