FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Special Ops: Lioness (Paramount+)

It's a propaganda piece about the US spying and military involvement in Syria - probably sponsored by the DoD and CIA's entertainment liaison offices. Production values are good. As you would expect from Taylor Sheridan it's entertaining and well put together. As always, Zoe Saldaña puts in a good performance. The dialog is fairly cliched.

My biggest problem with it is the suspension of disbelief. The other main character is played by Laysla De Oliveira. We are asked to believe this skinny armed woman (53kg) can beat all the male marines in the fitness tests and hand-to-hand combat. It's what The Critical Drinker has highlighted about 'strong females characters' in modern shows and movies. There's no arc where she struggles to compete against the men then overcomes it, like in GI Jane. She goes from domestic violence victim, flipper of burgers to kickass, undercover, Arabic-speaking US marine without even a montage. Low ranking marines take a private jet to Syria? OK. There's the obligatory tick box of a mixed race relationship and you can be sure there will be a lesbian character.
I havent watch ep2 yet, but in ep1 they clearly talk about how she was an elite athlete.

The montage while its not there, they do show some of her training and how she is considered to be exceptional not just by female standards.

I do agree somewhat about the suspension of disbelief, then again most TV and movies today require that.

Definitely agree about the tick box comment.

I havent watch ep2 yet, but in ep1 they clearly talk about how she was an elite athlete.

The montage while its not there, they do show some of her training and how she is considered to be exceptional not just by female standards.

I do agree somewhat about the suspension of disbelief, then again most TV and movies today require that.

Definitely agree about the tick box comment.

Yeah they dropped in a line about her being a runner and throwing the javelin at school. But since then she's been living in a scumbag crash pad and flipping burgers for a living. Apparently, she couldn't outrun or outfight her boyfriend. They could have depicted her initially struggling to meet her former fitness standards. But no, miraculously she arrives fully fledged, as fit as an elite athlete who's been training for the Olympics for several years.

I gave it a chance and watched ep2. See what you think - but my eyes are still rolling around in my head and I've binned it.

Father of a sick child attacks the doctor. Hmmm.

Bratty teenager gets suspended from school for fighting, actually says to her father "I can't have this conversation with a white man." WTF.

The new spy recruit is captured and interrogated by other US operatives in a fake abduction, which isn't unrealistic. But then after the truth is revealed to her they keep on terrorising her. Just no. When unshackled, this woman with arms like pencils proceeds to beat the crap out of the chief interrogator who is twice her size. If that's not enough nonsense, when her team find out about it they start a fight with the abductors and she beats him up again. Strangely, no one suggests retribution against Zoe Saldana's character who ordered it all.

New Walker. Jared Padalecki and Odette Annable are great but his son is s**t and the daughter is very ying and yang

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's it like? I sometimes like warm coffee.

And I'm assuming it isn't a patch on the original.
I think like most reboots what you enjoyed about the original sometimes doesn't carry over.

3 episodes in and he hasn't shot anyone. But the villain is nasty enough.

I am lucky than most in that I only recently watched the original series so it's fresher in my mind - ie warm coffee

I think like most reboots what you enjoyed about the original sometimes doesn't carry over.

3 episodes in and he hasn't shot anyone. But the villain is nasty enough.

I am lucky than most in that I only recently watched the original series so it's fresher in my mind - ie warm coffee
Thanks. It has been probably a year or so since I've watched the original all the way through, but I've seen it 4 or 5 times, so it doesn't really matter too much to me that it's been a while.

Raylan not shooting anyone in the first 3 episodes is rather unsettling.

Is there anyone else in it that was in the original?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back