Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Personally I would go Gunston for 3 years with a view to making young blokes vice captains in year 3 and then a new captain in 2024.
Agree with this. Gunston can play the Vandenburg role as we rebuild. He gave his all this year.

And it takes the pressure off the rest of the team as they concentrate on gelling.

We just don’t have anyone suitable for the 5 years+, especially with Sicily doing his knee. It’s slim pickings, which is largely why we are where we are.

I think it will need to be a 2-3 year option and hope someone like Worpel or Day is then ready to take charge when we are good again.

Mitchell is a good enough player (at his 2018 output anyway) but I don’t really see him as a leader on or off the field. Maybe an option in the ‘lead by example’ mould.

Jaeger is professional and presentable. But he’s not a damaging player and do you want your captain being someone you don’t want with the ball? There are examples of disciplined role players being good captains though so he’s one of the better options.

With Sicily down, Gunston has emerged as our best player in 2020.

Personally I would go Gunston for 3 years with a view to making young blokes vice captains in year 3 and then a new captain in 2024.

But I think the club will go O’Meara and hope he can help set some good training standards etc
You’re painting JOM as a dud. He’s still a very solid player, and one of our best mids. If that’s the only knock on him, then I think it’s a bit of a stretch. Can think of plenty worse performing players who were still good captains.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
I think Hardwick would be a great fit, hard edge and with a good number of years to grow into the role without the pressure of being older and a cliff coming as has happened to our last two captains.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You’re painting JOM as a dud. He’s still a very solid player, and one of our best mids. If that’s the only knock on him, then I think it’s a bit of a stretch. Can think of plenty worse performing players who were still good captains.
No I’m not. I think he’s the second best available candidate for the role. He’s similar to Liam Shiels at the peak of his game - agree that he’s a solid player, super professional and a good guy. But he’s not a player who has a big influence on games, which I personally like in a captain, and he makes too many unforced errors, which is deflating. I think he would do well with the off field stuff - setting training standards and great with the media/fans. That is important.

It’s a preference thing, that’s all. I think JOM will get the gig and do a decent job of it. But I’d prefer Gunston (Sicily would have been my #1 pre injury) given his ability to influence/win games.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston probably keen on it but he doesn’t come across as a humble guy and someone that would gel or unite the group . If he was a good leader he would have got the job after Hodge. He’s won a few hearts this year with his stellar form and fist pumping after goals when we’re 30 pts down. Gunston stepped down as VC- says it all
There’s a big void at the minute or it least it looks that way after being fortunate to have your Hodges, Crawfords and Sammy Mitchells. I think name Sicily with Tom Mitchell and Jaeger as vices and let those two hold the reigns until Sic returns next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MC_9

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think and hope JOM.

Gunston should have been made captain 2 years ago, and could have held it for longer than Stratton. But we can't have another 2 year captain.

JOM is a strong leader, we know he can be a gun but does struggle for consistency. Hopefully the captaincy might elevate him and will flourish with the responsibility.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Our last two captains have been the worst I've seen in 30+ years of supporting Hawthorn. Both fantastic players, but men who plainly did NOT want to be in the limelight and were unbelievably poor at inspiring the team on the field while captain.

That cannot be allowed to continue. The next captain if nothing else must be someone who desperately WANTS the job.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No I’m not. I think he’s the second best available candidate for the role. He’s similar to Liam Shiels at the peak of his game - agree that he’s a solid player, super professional and a good guy. But he’s not a player who has a big influence on games, which I personally like in a captain, and he makes too many unforced errors, which is deflating. I think he would do well with the off field stuff - setting training standards and great with the media/fans. That is important.

It’s a preference thing, that’s all. I think JOM will get the gig and do a decent job of it. But I’d prefer Gunston (Sicily would have been my #1 pre injury) given his ability to influence/win games.
Classic example right before half time there. Butchered the kick under no pressure in open space, resulting in a GC goal. It’s the sort of thing that hurts morale and I question whether you want someone who does it most weeks as captain, no matter how professional and disciplined they are.

Gohawthorn13

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
JO
Based on the zoom chat one of our board members had with players the other day; looks like Gunston will accept the role but JOM sounds like he is gunning for it....

Hopefully JOM for the consistency and continuation (probably will hold the role for 6 years). I voted for Gunston though because he is probably the best for the role in the interim (next 2 years)

Unfortunately, if JOM gets it, he will probably have a Vandenberg kind of captaincy.
JOM is a class above vandenberg. The lack of respect is astounding.

JO

JOM is a class above vandenberg. The lack of respect is astounding.

Calm down farmer greg, nothing about the quality of the players... I was talking quality of captaincy and the era's that I believe will be similar.

If anything it was a compliment to JOM to carry the torch through a quiet period...

Back