who do you think North should draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

partygirl35

Rookie
Sep 11, 2001
near sunbury
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I think North should draft Polak for his size, Barham as he can play in the forward line and North should look at drafting midfielders. Who do other people think North should at drafting?

Polak certainly won't be available. Barham's a possibility. We'll definitely look at Barry Brooks (199cm ruckman/forward,very mobile and not unlike Josh Fraser but may take longer to develop), Josh Dicketts (192cm key defender who performed well at the draft camp), David Hale (200cm forward who I've talked about in another thread), David Rodan (very small onballer dual Morrish medallist who definitely has "it"-height may mean he could still be available at pick 30),James Bartel (onballer ball magnet a very likely top 10 pick), Richard Cole (also a probable top 10 pick,an explosive midfielder who kicks like a mule),Sam Power (Luke's brother but taller at 187cm and more a mobile running half back-the type of player we need but may go at #6). Others to keep an eye out for include Ben Finnen,Shane Harvey (Boomer's brother who may go early because of his bloodlines) and Mark McGough . I'm pretty sure our first couple of picks will come from this lot!

I thought of a couple more! Xavier Clarke (quick,skillful midfielder with very natural ball handling abilities. He's an aboriginal from Darwin and very much the type to excite-Sheedy'd love to get him!). The other one I was thinking of was Brent Reilly from the Calder Cannons who couldn't play in the U18 GF due to a training injury-another midfielder but very highly thought of.

as I see it with picks 7 and 14 I would take the 2 best big men available.... and then midfielders and running players from 30 onwards... ulness we have a smokie hidden away somewhere...

If we could get two of Hale Brookes Braham it would be sensation... and I think most other clubs are after running players... but then Bartel looks good too... I am glad it aint my job on the line...

Yes Rooboy it wouldn't surprise me if we took Brooks at #7 and Hale,Dicketts or Barham at #14 and Rodan at #30 if he's still available. It is a tough decision about who to go for first because there are so many top midfielder/onball types, but clubs are usually built around key position players and big guys ,also we should have faith in last years crop of onballers and assume they'll develop into the type of players we want. Go for the big guys I say but I have a suspicion that Nifty Nev has his sights on an onballer with Bartel the most likely.

We need to pick up a tall defender. Groucho has already mentioned Dicketts from the Murray Bushrangers. I would also like to pick up Shane Harvey.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

am I wrong or wasn't Shane available last draft??? if so does anyone know why he was over-looked???

Rooboy 96,

I stand to be corrected but Shane was to young for last years draft.

hotham

From an article about the Harvey brothers before last year's draft-

"“He’s (Shane) a busy little player, nice and quick, and all of his results at the draft camp were really quite good,” says Sheehan. “He might not be up there with the top guys, but he has the same chance as a lot of the other kids in the pool. He’ll just have to wait it out.”
That Shane knows, and probably Brent too; should Harvey No.2 not hear his name called out on the last Sunday of October, he’ll just have another year with the (hopefully) more successful Knights and then, as an 18-year-old, one more tilt."

So - eligible he was. Interesting that Michael Stevens was available as a 17 yo in 1997 as was Nick Stevens. The papers rumoured that we were interested in them but we bypassed both for Shannon Watt - and Michael has to wait another year to be drafted.

as I see it with picks 7 and 14 I would take the 2 best big men available.... and then midfielders and running players from 30 onwards... ulness we have a smokie hidden away somewhere...

If we could get two of Hale Brookes Braham it would be sensation... and I think most other clubs are after running players... but then Bartel looks good too... I am glad it aint my job on the line...

I think we should go for the big guys as well - but I have faith in Mark Porter & Drew Petrie doing the job for us over the next 5-10 years. Therefore I reckon we should go for big guys that can play down back and go forward when necessary - Tom Davidson, Ashley Hansen, Josh Dicketts, Ben Finnin.

Or we could go for a quick mid-fielder such as James Bartel, Xavier Clarke, or Richard Cole, to compliment the likes of Dylan Smith & Daniel Harris.

Hotham... you are probably right... I just remeber his name being mentioned last year...

Rooboy 96,

You are right. As pointed out by King Corey Shane would have been eligable last year. I was way off with this one.

hotham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by King Corey
From an article about the Harvey brothers before last year's draft-

"“He’s (Shane) a busy little player, nice and quick, and all of his results at the draft camp were really quite good,” says Sheehan. “He might not be up there with the top guys, but he has the same chance as a lot of the other kids in the pool. He’ll just have to wait it out.”
That Shane knows, and probably Brent too; should Harvey No.2 not hear his name called out on the last Sunday of October, he’ll just have another year with the (hopefully) more successful Knights and then, as an 18-year-old, one more tilt."

So - eligible he was.

Thanks KC... I was under that impression.. and I think Mike ****e answered why he wasn't picked up too...

Interesting that Michael Stevens was available as a 17 yo in 1997 as was Nick Stevens. The papers rumoured that we were interested in them but we bypassed both for Shannon Watt - and Michael has to wait another year to be drafted.

Nick and Michael were taken in different drafts and michael was taken at #5... so we never had a chance to get him... I am hoping Michael gets delisted this year as there has been talk... fingers crossed...

Michael Stevens has had 3 years on Port's list for little return... dunno that we would target him as a priority - maybe he's not quite AFL standard? Saying that, would rather we punted on him than a 30 year old tho!

I agree he has shown little... but I believe at North he would shine... and I just can't forget the TAC Cup Grand Final where he got best on ground... I would take a punt...

I would prefer him then Moorcroft... with our #4 pick in the pre-season draft...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back