Who Plays in The Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Say if England goes 1-0 down in the series ,the squad leaves us with nowhere to turn..

I would have considered the likes of Duckett , Hales , Buttler , Footitt , Curran ,etc
the players they picked arent good enough .

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Maxwell
Literally anyone but Wade. Maybe Carey. Or (ugh) Nevill.
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

I think Ashton Turner could be a smokey for the series. Averaged 53 with the bat last season and I rate his bowling over Cartwright and maybe Maxwell. At any rate, as long as Matthew Wade isn't in the side, I'm happy.

Horrible selection from the panel...
Leaves us with no options. They filled in the squad slots with scrubs like Vince , Ballance , Overton ,etc....

Vince gets on tour after averaging just 34 in county cricket .

Even if they're 'scrubs' the only player left out who has a better claim is Hameed but he's injured. The fact is the cupboard is bare though ours is too in saying that.

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Maxwell
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

I think Ashton Turner could be a smokey for the series. Averaged 53 with the bat last season and I rate his bowling over Cartwright and maybe Maxwell. At any rate, as long as Matthew Wade isn't in the side, I'm happy.
Only issue is Turner is an offie - don't really need two of those in Aus conditions.

Same reason why I'm not sold on Maxwell here but happy enough for him to play.

Ideally Hilton would be a bit quicker but he's very much focused on the batting these days.

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith (c)
Handscomb
Maxwell
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

I like what I've seen of Turner, which is admittedly very little in the real format. 44 with the ball at FC level is a concern, but there is little doubt in my mind he is a better bowler than Maxwell (who, frankly, is a horrible long form bowler).
For me Maxwell isn't even a part-time bowler in the long form and should be considered on batting alone.

Ned Larkins :hearts:

You have to remember England in 1989 was ripped apart by the then rebel tour of South Africa under Mike Gatting, which left the English selection panel with very little room to move when they picked the squad for Australia in 1990. That's the reason why players such as Wayne Larkins was chosen for the tour.

Not the strongest team England has ever sent out for a Ashes tour of Australia. It could be the weakest English lineup since the 1990-91 tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

94-95 was shithouse.

The only quality bowler was Gough and he was still only developing. Atherton, Thorpe and Stewart were a decent batting trio and Gooch in his absolute twilight made a few runs from memory (a century in Adelaide maybe?) but they were a really average side. Peter such, Phil De Freitas, Devon Malcolm - that was the summer where Slater crashed the first ball of the series through the covers at The Gabba off De Freitas. They never recovered. Though de Freitas if I remember rightly made a ripping 86 off about 70 balls in a bad loss in Melbourne.

2006/07 was pretty bad. Some of those players went on to great things, others had been great before, but they were neither on that tour.

Pietersen was the only player with more than one good match. Collingwood's average was inflated by his only century being a double, Bell couldn't convert his 50s (surprise), and none of the others - Cook and Strauss were the only other batsmen to get a game, but also Geraint Jones, Chris Read, Flintoff and supposedly Ashley Giles - averaged higher than the 20s.

With the ball it was even worse. Hoggard and Panesar were their best with an average of 37, and the latter didn't play until Perth. Flintoff and Harmison (bowling to 2nd slip neva4get) were in the 40s, Sajid Mahmood somehow in the 50s, and Giles was joined by young James Anderson in the 80s.

Awful stuff.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English squad in:

Batsmen: Joe Root, Gary Ballance, Alastair Cook, Dawid Malan, Mark Stoneman, James Vince
All-Rounders: Moeen Ali, Ben Stokes
Keepers: Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes
Bowlers: James Anderson, Jake Ball, Stuart Broad, Mason Crane, Craig Overton, Chris Woakes

So as far as a side looks like:

Stoneman
Cook
Vince/Ballance
Root
Vince/Malan
Stokes
Bairstow (+)
Ali
Woakes/Overton/Ball
Broad
Anderson

For me their side should be (given the squad):

Stoneman
Cook
Ballance
Root
Bairstow (+)
Stokes
Ali
Overton
Woakes
Crane
Anderson

I just do not understand why they are so obsessed with having these average county batsmen play in the middle order when they have a cornucopia of all-rounders. Use them!

And still no room for Kevin Pietersen in the England squad.If Stokes is pulled out of the team during the course of the series (ie 3rd Test Perth) to answer police charges back in the UK, would the England selectors swallow their pride and recall KP back into the English lineup?

There's always one dropkick who'll drag out KP's name. It's 2017...

Am sceptical of Vince, not sure what makes the selectors feel he'll be a better choice than the incumbent Westley who is also far from convincing. Hameed had an absolute shocker of a season too, but at least there were signs of recovery towards the end so I would have felt he'd have been the more likely punt to come off. End of the day I'd pick Ballance at this point in time though so it's a bit moot arguing over who is the backup batsman.

For the bowling, I'd have felt Plunkett was essential to the squad in Australian conditions, particularly with Roland-Jones unavailable. It's a strength area of theirs, but I think he's got a lot to add as a potential and likely required inclusion at some point.

Stokes shouldn't be allowed in the country after seeing that. Disgraceful conduct.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I just do not understand why they are so obsessed with having these average county batsmen play in the middle order when they have a cornucopia of all-rounders. Use them!
Agreed. Bairstow-Stokes-Ali is a good 4-7 and it allows them to have 6 bowling options

Stokes shouldn't be allowed in the country after seeing that. Disgraceful conduct.

Looking forward to the ECB's presser:
  • Strauss (or some other muppet) telling us it's not a good for cricket or a good example for the kids.
  • Stokes' tearful apology (mainly for getting caught)
  • Stokes' promise that it will never happen again
  • Stokes' commitment to anger management therapy or AA or a hefty donation to charity
  • Then Stokes telling us through the tears that he's looking forward to the summer and bashing the Aussies on the field.

It's the reverse Australia. We drop batsmen to bring in average all-rounders to meet our obsession.

Crazy from Stokes. He has had enough chances and has blown it now. No way he should be allowed to tour.

And still no room for Kevin Pietersen in the England squad.If Stokes is pulled out of the team during the course of the series (ie 3rd Test Perth) to answer police charges back in the UK, would the England selectors swallow their pride and recall KP back into the English lineup?

Pretty sure Pietersen isn't even fit enough to play T20, time to forget about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back