Who will finish higher - Adelaide, Geelong or West Coast?

Who will finish higher - Adelaide, Geelong or West Coast?

• Adelaide- Will their "organic" growth be good enough to challenge for a top 4 spot?

Votes: 130 50.0%
  • Geelong- Will the loss of Enright and Bartel hurt them?

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • West Coast- Will losing Nic Nat all year dent their flag hopes or will Mitchell be the difference?

Votes: 74 28.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think at different times this year all teams will look pretty good.
To me, all three teams seem to be missing something.
Geelong need their B graders to become a/B+ graders .
Adelaide need their C graders to become B graders.
West Coast need their consistency every week.
One of these teams could possibly slide out of the eight this year. West Coast would be my guess if that happens.
Who will finish higher of the other two? Geelong of course.

Geelong would've hoped Mackie called time, not Enright. Tuohy can replace either, but you'd rather him replace Mackie. Nevertheless, Geelong will be good next year.
I think there is a very real chance Mackie will see vfl time this year. We have a very deep back line with a stack of youngsters capable of getting senior games. He's been a champ but i think he's gone on one year too long.

you are counting bartel and kersten? Seriously? Kersten was a walking poo. Literally. His presence actually made the team worse. Bartel was only in the 22 at the end cos menzel was injured and cockatoo was coming back from injury. He was gone. Caddy i rate but he has been injured the past 18 months and a shadow of what he was prior.

Enright aint being replaced by tuohy. He is being replaced by thurlow who missed all of last year and is effectively a list addition. Not as good but he will mitigate the loss. Tuohy is just an added bonus to give us some pace of the half back flank which we sorely lacked last year.

Your analysis accounts for no improvement in the under 25s. Nor the fact that we had a number of mids who had interupted seasons last year and so far this preaseason all are going well.

Then there is menzel and cockatoo who are the two big question marks. Both non existant in the finals due to injuries in the back half of the season.
You might not think much of Kersten (who kicked 3 goals 5 times in 2016 and was top 6 in your goalkicking, from just 17 games) and Bartel by the end (although he had 26 disposals and a goal in the prelim, which is what experience gets you), or what you were getting out of Caddy, but what about those who are replacing them ON THE LIST, which was the question at hand? (Hence my pointing out that the main 4 you are replacing on the list played 80 AFL games between them in 2016, and they are effectively being replaced ON THE LIST by 4 who between them played just 22.)

You went on to tell me who you think will replace them IN THE TEAM, but the question was about the list (in particular with regards to the 2017 season) and whether it is stronger or weaker, not the team.

Sure if you have no injuries at all for the season and some of your young ones really step up you could cover the 3 who were best 22 (and the other who played 17 games and was top 6 in your goalkicking) with basically those who were already on your list- plus Touhy- but what happens if a miracle doesn't occur and you, like probably every other team, does get injuries?

That's when the question of whether the list, as opposed to the team (at full strength) is going to be better becomes relevant, because you then have to start dipping into that depth- that to many/most looks weaker.

You talk about how Thurlow, Cockatoo and Menzel had injuries last season and so-on as though no other team had anyone miss games through injury or had interrupted preseasons themselves, and as though you won't get any injuries this year, but that's far from the case in the former and expecting a lot/very wishful, in the latter.

Again, if pretty much everything goes right for you guys this year (eg. a dream injury run, the young ones you have really step up, you have very few if any drop off due to age/whatever and you improve your gameplan/structure) then you could have a ripper year, but it's not like every other team in the comp isn't just as hopeful for the same sort of things happening for themselves as well- and a lot of those other teams offseason list "outs" don't look more immediately significant than their list "ins" (like yours do) and a lot of those other teams look to have better quality "youth", to step up, as well.

Again, if pretty much everything does go right for you as you hope then you'll get what you deserve though and I imagine that will be a really strong season.

Last edited:

You might not think much of Kersten (who kicked 3 goals in 5 games and was top 6 in your goalkicking, from just 17 games) and Bartel by the end (although he had 26 disposals and a goal in the prelim, which is what experience gets you), or what you were getting out of Caddy, but what about those who are replacing them ON THE LIST, which was the question at hand? (Hence my pointing out that the main 4 you are replacing on the list played 80 AFL games between them in 2016, and they are effectively being replaced ON THE LIST by 4 who between them played just 22.)

You went on to tell me who you think will replace them IN THE TEAM, but the question was about the list (in particular with regards to the 2017 season) and whether it is stronger or weaker, not the team.

Sure if you have no injuries at all for the season and some of your young ones really step up you could cover the 3 who were best 22 (and the other who played 17 games and was top 6 in your goalkicking) with basically those who were already on your list- plus Touhy- but what happens if a miracle doesn't occur and you, like probably every other team, does get injuries?

That's when the question of whether the list as opposed to the team is going to be better becomes relevant, because you then have to start dipping into that depth.

You talk about how Thurlow, Cockatoo and Menzel had injuries last season as though no other team had anyone miss games through injury themselves and as though you won't get any injuries this year, but that's far from the case.
Seeds is one of the biggest trolls on our board mate. I wouldn't worry too much about what he says.

Honestly though, we're not going to miss Kersten. He was a liability at times and that's when he wasn't busy pretending to be a ghost. I know that he kicked a few goals but alot of those goals were during junk time when the game was already decided and we were pumping the ball inside 50 with ridiculous ease.

Injuries will occur, no doubt. Our depth isn't as bad as what certain posters would like to make out though. Players such as Horlin-Smith and Murdoch are clearly outside our best 22 but are capable of coming in and playing a role if called upon.

Our depth last year was ridiculous to the point where we had players killing it in the VFL who were never a real chance of earning a promotion due to the strength of our list. No doubt that these players will see more opportunities for themselves heading into this season but it doesn't mean that our depth is poor which is what some are trying to suggest.

We're not a developing list where we're going to be looking to use 35-40 players throughout the season. We'll be looking to keep the team as stable as possible and when injuries inevitably hit players 23-30 will be brought in to cover the outgoing players. We bat down to about 30 deep which is all you really need unless you are decimated by injuries in which case any teams performance is going to suffer, I don't care who they are. If this happens then just like any other team we're going to struggle but honestly, until it does there's no point in even worrying about it.

You might not think much of Kersten (who kicked 3 goals 5 times in 2016 and was top 6 in your goalkicking, from just 17 games) and Bartel by the end (although he had 26 disposals and a goal in the prelim, which is what experience gets you), or what you were getting out of Caddy, but what about those who are replacing them ON THE LIST, which was the question at hand? (Hence my pointing out that the main 4 you are replacing on the list played 80 AFL games between them in 2016, and they are effectively being replaced ON THE LIST by 4 who between them played just 22.)

That's when the question of whether the list, as opposed to the team (at full strength) is going to be better becomes relevant, because you then have to start dipping into that depth- that to many/most looks weaker.

You talk about how Thurlow, Cockatoo and Menzel had injuries last season and so-on as though no other team had anyone miss games through injury or had interrupted preseasons themselves, and as though you won't get any injuries this year, but that's far from the case in the former and expecting a lot/very wishful, in the latter.

Again, if pretty much everything goes right for you guys this year (eg. a dream injury run, the young ones you have really step up, you have very few if any drop off due to age/whatever and you improve your gameplan/structure) then you could have a ripper year, but it's not like every other team in the comp isn't just as hopeful for the same sort of things happening for themselves as well- and a lot of those other teams offseason list "outs" don't look more immediately significant than their list "ins" (like yours do) and a lot of those other teams look to have better quality "youth", to step up, as well.

Again, if pretty much everything does go right for you as you hope then you'll get what you deserve though and I imagine that will be a really strong season.
Great post.

You read my mind...

Well you buy in the best player in the AFL. And bonus.....he has one of the most stellar years ever.

That will usually do it. Not sure they have grabbed another danger in 2017 though and cannot see him being a big improver on 2016. If he does then he is heading toward GOAT.
What's that got to do with my post?

Geelong got flogged in 2010 prelim, changed coach and lost Gary Ablett then went on to win the premiership.

Never claimed we have the best midfield, as we are currently in the next group down from the best, but some of the rubbish claims on this thread would think we were Carlton or Brisbane levels.
I'd prefer Brisbane's midfield over yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that is your opinion, you are naive to our midfield options.

Feel free to give me a comparison...
Dayne Beams > Rory Sloane
Tom Rockliff > Brad Crouch
Mitch Robinson > Scott Thompson
Ryan Bastinac < Matt Crouch
Daniel Rich < Brodie Smith
Dayne Zorko > Rory Atkins
Allen Christiensen = Wayne Milera
Tom Bell = Richard Douglas

It's clearly a better midfield IMO.

I agree. Maybe it's because I'm not delusional when it comes to evaluating my team like you are.
Like you had us missing the finals last year lol.

I picked us last year to be 6th & was spot on.

In what universe is Beams better than Sloane. Must have missed Beams All Australian selection last year. He has really struggled of late - even more so than B Crouch.

Our midfield slaughtered the Lions last year & they have lost Hanley whilst we have lost Lyons.

Imo our best 22 will consist of these players rotating through the midfield:
Sloane
B Crouch
M Crouch
Knight
Cameron
Atkins
Douglas
Hampton
Smith

Next in line:
Milera
Seedsman
Ellis-Yolmen
Greenwood
Wigg
Gallucci
Polholke

Used sparingly:
Thompson
Mackay

You didn't finish 5th because of your midfield.
Our midfield in all key indicators ranked just below the top tier teams (not claiming we are the best)... & streets ahead of the likes of the Lions.

You are defying all statistics & actually watching games if you think it's even close between the Crows & Lions midfield.

Back