Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
There may be a group of players who show improvement of course, but who is the one player you think will have a massive/breakout year in 2017?

Menzel is someone who I think will be even better in 2017 after getting through the 2016 season quite well & with hopefully a full pre-season behind him.

But the person I think who will have a massive All Australian season is Motlop. Was on the trade table end of this season, also told by the leadership group & the club that he couldn't come back out of shape like he did start of 2016 preseason. He's come back looking great this preseason & I feel he will have a massive 2017, if he leaves end of the year then he gets us round 1 pick compensation, if he doesn't then we have a fantastic game-changing player staying at the club.

Seriously, I'd expect big seasons from the following...

Mitch Duncan - Needs to step up as we know. I think he will.

Scott Selwood - He'll be so much better with a full pre-season.

Darcy Lang - In to his fourth season. It's time to make an impact.

Jordan Murdoch - Needs a big one or it could be career over. Needs to be played back closer to goal.

Aaron Black - Gut feel, but he could really surprise next year. With Kersten and Clark gone, that second tall option to Hawk is his to lose.

I still believe in Lang and really think he has the most upside of all our players aged 25 and under. He's not the most brilliant player but similarly to James Kelly who was competing against Bartel and Ablett early on, he has the footy nous to become elite. I hope Chris Scott plays him off a half back flank next year. He's a waste of talent in the forward line. The team needs a classy deliverer and somone who thrives at tackling. His awareness and composure in heavy traffic is as good any young player in the entire competition and I think Lang finishes up near the top ten in the 2017 B&F placings.

I think Corey Gregson might have a good year. Think he has more talent than Land and probably Cockatoo as well. Tough, quality ball winner for his size and fantastic finisher in front of goal. Reminds me a lot of stokes and if he can have a career of that calibre it will be fantastic for the club

• Banned
I still believe in Lang and really think he has the most upside of all our players aged 25 and under. He's not the most brilliant player but similarly to James Kelly who was competing against Bartel and Ablett early on, he has the footy nous to become elite. I hope Chris Scott plays him off a half back flank next year. He's a waste of talent in the forward line. The team needs a classy deliverer and somone who thrives at tackling. His awareness and composure in heavy traffic is as good any young player in the entire competition and I think Lang finishes up near the top ten in the 2017 B&F placings.

Half back may not be available with Tuohy in & Thurlow back. But I completely agree his awareness & composure is fantastic. I want Lang on the wing, can float into back line at times but can also be using the ball going into the forward 50 & he would actually lower his eyes forcing the forwards to lead instead of banging it on their heads :thumbsu:

Half back may not be available with Tuohy in & Thurlow back. But I completely agree his awareness & composure is fantastic. I want Lang on the wing, can float into back line at times but can also be using the ball going into the forward 50 & he would actually lower his eyes forcing the forwards to lead instead of banging it on their heads :thumbsu:

Yep. Looks that way.

B: Kolodjashnij Henderson Bews
HB: Tuohy Taylor Thurlow

Then there's Guthrie, Ruggles, Stewart, Lonergan, Mackie and even Cunico and Gardner developing. Can't see Lang playing off half back as we've got some of players there.

With Caddy gone I could envisage and would prefer to see Motlop spend more time closer to goal. We do still need goals to win games.

HF: Motlop Stanley* Menzel
F: McCarthy Hawkins Gregson

*With Black, House being alternatives to Stanley and actually my personal preference (although I'm not confident it'll happen).

So out of the wing in those outside mids roles we look to have Duncan, Cockatoo, Guthrie and then Lang. As a result I can see Lang spending time on a wing and also inside 50. Unlikely to be in the back half though I'd have thought.

THIS!

With Tuohy/Thurlow off HB and Motlop/Cockatoo off HF.

I hope this is the most hotly contested award for the season
Lots to be optimistic about but it's Cockatoo for mine.
Showed some great patches before the injury and lacked the fitness base when he returned late. With Danger mentoring him and another PS under his belt he's primed for a big one IMHO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac Smith I think could rip it up next season he had a good first season but dropped off late. In the first game against the Hawks he looked like the Ottens we'd been missing. Another pre season at Geelong understanding the players. Coaches and system as well as more fitness should assist him. Add to that he's coming into the age rucks tend to hit their peak. His first couple of seasons at the Suns it looked like he was gong to be the comps premier ruck.

This could be an indigenous year
Parfitt, Narkle, Jones, Motlop and Cockatoo may all have something to say about 2017 season.
That would be a fine thing for GFC moving forward.
Add to that a huge Fijian and the forward line and midfield could become more lethal than last year.
I don't think any of those new players will have much of an impact on field in the afl this season. But I think they will assist the growth of Motlop and Coackatoo. Who both could have a big impact next season.
Looking forward to the draftees having a big impact in the VFL. Perhaps Parfitt could push for a senior game. There's certainly some talent there for the future.

There may be a group of players who show improvement of course, but who is the one player you think will have a massive/breakout year in 2017?

Menzel is someone who I think will be even better in 2017 after getting through the 2016 season quite well & with hopefully a full pre-season behind him.

But the person I think who will have a massive All Australian season is Motlop. Was on the trade table end of this season, also told by the leadership group & the club that he couldn't come back out of shape like he did start of 2016 preseason. He's come back looking great this preseason & I feel he will have a massive 2017, if he leaves end of the year then he gets us round 1 pick compensation, if he doesn't then we have a fantastic game-changing player staying at the club.

Corey Gregson to play 20-22 games if fit wins our best young player next year.

This could be an indigenous year
Parfitt, Narkle, Jones, Motlop and Cockatoo may all have something to say about 2017 season.
That would be a fine thing for GFC moving forward.
Add to that a huge Fijian and the forward line and midfield could become more lethal than last year.

Something would have to go very wrong for any of our draftees to debut in 2017.

Bews and Thurlow are not automatic and that is due to one bloke returning from a knee reconstruction and the other not yet able to play a bundle of games with any form of consistency. Tuohey is a good honest player but that is all. We tried to snag Deledio but it didn't work out so we took what was left on the table and it's the Irishman. He will fill in the cracks left by Enright and a ever regressing Mackie but I can see him being replaced pretty quickly in the not too distant future. Lang will prove you wrong I believe. We will have to come back to this topic of conversation in a few years time as I reckon that is when Lang is a permanent back flanker. I think people need to throw Ruggles name out of the window too. He's a C grader playing to his full capabilities and guys like that get replaced fairly quickly in this sport.
Nothing to prove wrong. Never said he wouldn't at some point, it just is unlikely to be this year. Nothing more than that really.

Lang to start getting midfield minutes and to step up for me, late in the year he tore some VFL games to shreds playing on the pill.

It's time

Back