Why are you on Bigfooty or the Carlton Board?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Seeing as we've seen the Bluemour thread exist in a nigh constant state of derailment over the past few weeks (years) it's probably a decent time to have a bit of a chat as a community as to why we use this board, this website.

Are you here for the banter, Bay 13, the SFA, gifs and humour, the Blue Room social threads and the odd tangent here and there? Are you here for the List Management discussion, prospective strategies and to analyse the game? Are you here for the cold hard facts (if you do, I have just the thread for you!)?

Have a punt at determining what you'd like to see, what you enjoy, and what you might appreciate seeing more of.

If you don't like something, you can certainly say so, but try to keep it from becoming personal. We already have enough shitfights already, and I don't want to have to bring up He Who Must Not Be Mentioned again.

I’m here because of Chris Judd

I stayed because I found this place informative, a safe place to talk all things Carlton, with some decent banter along the way

That seems to have gone by the wayside the last few years, so why am I still on here occasionally? I’ll let you know when I know, Geth…

Relatively new. Came here mainly when the rebuild started. I was hungry to hear about the club and changes, don't do the socials, nothing on the standard media and liked what people were sharing here.

Don't really travel beyond the navy blue borders. I get bored reading about other clubs. And I liked the sense of community of fellow tragics. Though that fluctuates with losses.

And I couldn't stand reading the blue text of TC.

I enjoy talking about Carlton list management and gameday play. It's interesting to see so many different perspectives on players/tactics.

I occasionally venture to the main board and if a subject being discussed piques my interest I'll post. I view the rumour boards for a bit of light entertainment and occasionally catch up on the draft threads and ask the fairly infrequent question.

I came here to talk about Carlton with other like minded people. I also thought that it could be a good source of information.
I too started on TC, there was a certain level of toxicity there at the time which I didn't like as well as that terrible colour scheme which makes it almost impossible to read.

I'm not into what I believe is a tendency to over-analyse everything to do with football these days, so I keep away from that kind of thing. I like the links to media articles etc about Carlton as I have stopped watching all of the footy shows as well as not listening to sports radio any longer ( the best thing I ever did).

I am first and foremost a supporter of the Club. I like to read different opinions but totally dislike the level of vitriol and tendency to get into personal attacks here over the past couple of years. I think we stooped to the lowest levels since I've been here in 2021, let's hope people improve in 2022. Agree to disagree sometimes and move on.

Also, I don't know that many people IRL that want to talk about Carlton. All day. Every day.

The highs, the lows. The hope, more lows, the draftees, yet more lows, trades, the 95 GF, team selection, the 99 prelim, how much we hate*, the '13 elim final, SOS's non-touch call, the flags in the 70s and 80s, Bradley's running goal, Kouta's form in 2000, Brad Pearce's hair....and so on.

You guys and gals get it. You complete me.

Relatively new. Came here mainly when the rebuild started. I was hungry to hear about the club and changes, don't do the socials, nothing on the standard media and liked what people were sharing here.

Don't really travel beyond the navy blue borders. I get bored reading about other clubs. And I liked the sense of community of fellow tragics. Though that fluctuates with losses.

And I couldn't stand reading the blue text of TC.

How bad is that TC blue text!! 😳😳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stayed because I found this place informative, a safe place to talk all things Carlton, with some decent banter along the way

That seems to have gone by the wayside the last few years, so why am I still on here occasionally? I’ll let you know when I know, Geth…
i also joined because of the hype around Chris Judd's recruitment.

Nowadays I stay for a bunch of reasons, in no particular order:
-to learn more about the game and players which you only get from reading people's ideas and having your own tested
-for the community aspect of getting to know (or at least know how they talk/think) the regulars
-banter with opposition fans on the main board

I also just get an endorphins hit from reading anything positive about Carlton. There's not enough in the media. I'd read tonnes of fluff about us if it was available.

There was a bit in there when we had a lot of diverse opinions and a reasonable amount of respect for each other that we could discuss them without getting personal or rude. It was like the rest of the internet (with the allsorted bad behaviours) stopped at this board.

Don't know what or when exactly it happened, but that stopped.

There was a bit in there when we had a lot of diverse opinions and a reasonable amount of respect for each other that we could discuss them without getting personal or rude. It was like the rest of the internet (with the allsorted bad behaviours) stopped at this board.

Don't know what or when exactly it happened, but that stopped.
Seems to happen to any online place once the number of people there grows beyond a certain point. Assuming the number of posters here has grown consistently, I haven't looked at any numbers.

As for why, well I came here for a fair bit of 'all the above'. I guess mostly Carlton related chit chat and updates, training reports etc. All that good stuff. I enjoyed Bay 13 for a while too.
These days I either pop in here or am in the SFA, or have a quick perusal at the Main AFL Board before wondering what I'm looking at and giving my eyes a healthy blasting with sand.

Seems to happen to any online place once the number of people there grows beyond a certain point. Assuming the number of posters here has grown consistently, I haven't looked at any numbers.

As for why, well I came here for a fair bit of 'all the above'. I guess mostly Carlton related chit chat and updates, training reports etc. All that good stuff. I enjoyed Bay 13 for a while too.
These days I either pop in here or am in the SFA, or have a quick perusal at the Main AFL Board before wondering what I'm looking at and giving my eyes a healthy blasting with sand.
There's a main AFL board? I thought everything outside of Carlton and the SFA was Bay 13.

come back to GD at once

I also just get an endorphins hit from reading anything positive about Carlton. There's not enough in the media. I'd read tonnes of fluff about us if it was available.

Pretty much this, but even a well thought out critical post gets me going.

Good analysis is good analysis.

It is interesting how few Carlton supporters post on the main board - always feels like the same 4 or 5 posters.

No idea if it’s a product of being rubbish for so long, but I almost prefer getting insights on Carlton from non-Carlton supporters. You know if they’re being complimentary they’re not bullshitting you, and tbh having an opposition poster recognise Stocker as a quality young player or Walsh as a genuine star (prior to his AA nod and Brownlow finish) pretty much confirms it.

Naturally there is some pushback in the order direction, but that’s pretty much par for the course.

Ive read this site since around 2007 give or take 1 year. Lots of things keep me reading and now posting.

Some of the characters keep me reading. way back then, TheGeneral and one of the draft watcher guys think his name was Splendini or something. They were good, bad and interesting. In more recent times there are lots of others. Some write great content, others I’m just transfixed by their personality.

Above all, I’m posting now because Carlton have been just so bad over such a long time. I‘m like a moth to the light, I just can’t help myself. We are all on this runaway train that is running straight into the abyss….like every year. Groundhog Day. Can our club get it right by just dumb luck please. I’ve given up on them a little in terms of controlling development and outcome.

I like the discussions on team, players, club. I miss some of the lost better posters. My eyes roll on two things. The derail posters as that means don’t bother going to that last thread. And the second group are the gameday sulkers you never see during the week.

I too have looked over at the blue site, but jeez, that design is as bad as Carlton have been on field for 20 years.

Weve done a lot bad over 20 years and that I guess is why I’m here…to share that puzzling WTF look. Wayne Hughes as a list manager/recruiter and Kernahan as a club president fascinate me. Then it’s all down to watching calamity on field over the last 5 years.

When do we get deliverence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back