Will josh carr play better now??

Remove this Banner Ad

You've got to do better than that.

Freo enticed Schofield and Francis to resort to the PSD. What's different about that and Carr's situation is that with the former two Freo got the benefit and with Carr Freo got burnt. Interestingly Schofields father IIRC warned North Melbourne not to recruit him because he wouldn't leave Perth. Carr made the equivalent statement in saying he wouldn't be leaving Adelaide.

As Macca19 said you got hit by the karma bus. Just take your medicine.

BTW Freo couldn't even handle the Fabian Francis situation correctly and got pulled up by the AFL.

Not to mention that after Carr went back to play with his brother Freo officials were boasting that they'd been pissing in his ear for two years.

Sympathy owed to Freo by the football world equals diddly squat.

On the OP yes I believe Carr will have a better year than last. Sure he had a poor 2008 as motivation factors affected his form but in fairness to him he worked at it and Freo's own coach acknowledged he was getting back toward some decent form by seasons end.

I am dumbfounded you can't see the difference, and that the difference is huge.

The thing people forget is that in 2004 Josh Carr had Roger James, Josh Francou(most of the season), Byron Pickett Damien Hardwick Stuart Dew and Micheal Wilson around him. They were tough footballers and were the reason Port dominated between rounds 1-22 for three seasons. The Port midfield of that era was the equal to the Brownlow winning one of the Lions, with only 1/3 the success. Carr had plenty of friends and they worked well as a unit.

Now Carr will be playing in a side where he is the only midfielder who is not afraid to use his body to get the ball. Add to that the style of play at Port is very different to that of 2002-04, and some cynics might say there is a lack of teamwork. His last season at Freo showed he has struggled when he is expected to carry the workload.

This may or may not happen in 09. By some reports the Port boys are looking bigger and stronger, and there is hope of a more physical gameplan in mind. This may be with Josh Carr in mind.

No you obvious Port admirer, the difference is that a guy in his late 20's that many think is too old, too slow, too fat, too injured blah blah blah can come into your side and make a significant contribution....... I think there was one in this years Grand Final.....
yeah but dew left your environment and went to a better one. At your club he was a fat pile of blubber at the hawks he was a machine.

yeah but dew left your environment and went to a better one. At your club he was a fat pile of blubber at the hawks he was a machine.

Dew left our club and went into retirement.
At Port Adelaide he was a premiership player and fan favourite
At Hawthron he is a premiership player and fan favourite
The other thing that has remained consistent is his size!
There is no difference onecentpiece.

The thing people forget is that in 2004 Josh Carr had Roger James, Josh Francou(most of the season), Byron Pickett Damien Hardwick Stuart Dew and Micheal Wilson around him.

Francou didnt play a game in 04.

The thing people forget is that in 2004 Josh Carr had Roger James, Josh Francou(most of the season), Byron Pickett Damien Hardwick Stuart Dew and Micheal Wilson around him. They were tough footballers and were the reason Port dominated between rounds 1-22 for three seasons. The Port midfield of that era was the equal to the Brownlow winning one of the Lions, with only 1/3 the success. Carr had plenty of friends and they worked well as a unit.

Now Carr will be playing in a side where he is the only midfielder who is not afraid to use his body to get the ball. Add to that the style of play at Port is very different to that of 2002-04, and some cynics might say there is a lack of teamwork. His last season at Freo showed he has struggled when he is expected to carry the workload.

This may or may not happen in 09. By some reports the Port boys are looking bigger and stronger, and there is hope of a more physical gameplan in mind. This may be with Josh Carr in mind.
Your statement that Josh Francou played most of the 2004 season is incorrect. He didn't play at all in 2004 and played only 2 games in 2003. The Port midfield may have approached the quality of Brisbane had Francou not missed basically two years of football.

Also with all due respect to the guy, Dewy was not a noted hard in and under footballer at Port. He was an opportunist. Hawthorn have certainly added core strength to his assets. (In fairness to Stewie he was hampered by OP for periods at Port)

Again to claim that there's noone in Ports current midfield who likes to use their body means you've overlooked Tom Logan just for starters, and have missed the development of guys like Matt Thomas and Mitch Farmer.

You've alluded to reports that the Port boys look bigger and stronger. There's a basis in fact there with Port bringing in Cameron Falloon with a mission to build stronger bodies that can play a harder brand of football. Carr won't lack for company.

The thing is that it's pretty likely that Port will have a much better 2009. People are going to start equating that with the presence of Josh Carr. IMO he'll have a decent year and get back to being the solid effective player he was for us and in his first few years at Freo, however much of the improvement will come from elsewhere in our squad.

Why don't you quit while you are behind - the more you post the more you shoot yourself in the foot.

It must be the continuing nightmares of the 2008 GF - the raging hot favourites choking and losing the "unloseable" GF (OT yes, but thought I would just remind you of your teams performance after you somehow managed a choker reference to the Power in an earlier post in this thread).

This difference is only in your mind.

The thing that always annoyed me about the Carr move to Freo was the fact, reported many times, that Freo were active for a long time in persuading him to move . Not too annoyed mind you since that is probably part and parcel of the AFL business scene. It is a joke of course that Harvey should be offended by Choco's blatant offers to Josh to come home. As many others have said - karma.

On another note, a reason why I like Josh being here is the effect that he might have on others in the team, particularly Thomas who I have great hopes for.

That's twice you've said the same thing and, while it's been explained to you why Freo are reaping what they have sown, you haven't been able to explain your claim that it's different.

Your statement that Josh Francou played most of the 2004 season is incorrect. He didn't play at all in 2004 and played only 2 games in 2003. The Port midfield may have approached the quality of Brisbane had Francou not missed basically two years of football.

Also with all due respect to the guy, Dewy was not a noted hard in and under footballer at Port. He was an opportunist. Hawthorn have certainly added core strength to his assets. (In fairness to Stewie he was hampered by OP for periods at Port)

Again to claim that there's noone in Ports current midfield who likes to use their body means you've overlooked Tom Logan just for starters, and have missed the development of guys like Matt Thomas and Mitch Farmer.

You've alluded to reports that the Port boys look bigger and stronger. There's a basis in fact there with Port bringing in Cameron Falloon with a mission to build stronger bodies that can play a harder brand of football. Carr won't lack for company.

The thing is that it's pretty likely that Port will have a much better 2009. People are going to start equating that with the presence of Josh Carr. IMO he'll have a decent year and get back to being the solid effective player he was for us and in his first few years at Freo, however much of the improvement will come from elsewhere in our squad.

You have named three players that play physical football. Geelong and Hawthorn have shown that is not enough. Logan, Thomas (who is a fringe player due to injuries) and Farmer, who I am betting will be next years Symes/Thomson. The two former players I just mentioned would of fitted in well with Carr. Carr would lifted their games to another level.

Carr is walking into a side that has changed philosophy. Choco no longer plays that style and prefers fast paced high possesion football. A style that does not suit Carr. That may or may not change in 2009.

One of my Port mates, who posts here summed up Carr as being Shaun Burgoynes bodyguard. The more I think about it, the more I agree. There was an article in the Tiser last year about him needing "help" and none of the kids able to provide it. Enter J Carr.

To be honest I am looking forward to seein him line up against us. Add some spark/spite to Showdowns. 2009 is looking good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...Carr is walking into a side that has changed philosophy. Choco no longer plays that style and prefers fast paced high possesion football. A style that does not suit Carr. That may or may not change in 2009....
Your pontifications are really quite amusing at times. :p

Choco has always preferred a fast high possession style of football. He was regularly criticised for it in the years leading up to 2004 with claims that it failed in finals.

Add that to you being blisfully unaware that Josh Francou was missing for virtually the entire 2003 (2 games) and 2004 (zero games) seasons when you were suggesting he was one of the guys providing an ideal environment for Carr.

Not only that but you numbered Stewie Dew as one our hard nuts in those years. Seriously how much of Port did you watch? Dewie was an opportunist with tremendous disposal, but a long way from being a physical footballer. He drove us nuts at times because he was lacking in that area. We had to make allowances for him having bouts of OP but it's been Hawthorn who have added core strength to his makeup which has allowed him to shrug tackles.

BTW you appear to have a latched onto the fact I named three hard nuts in our squad off the top of my and are claiming thats all we've got. Dishonest or lazy, it's hard to tell.

That's twice you've said the same thing and, while it's been explained to you why Freo are reaping what they have sown, you haven't been able to explain your claim that it's different.

I'd be very interested in seeing summerthebat give a reason as to why this situtation is different rather than just saying 'because I said so'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back