Will the proposed rule changes affect our list and recruiting?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm abit of a traditionalist but I love the 25m kick out rule. It'll massively spread the oppositions zone. You have both wings, short chips to the defensive 50 to cover and not to mention if you have someone who can kick the ball 60m you can kick straight down the ground and are only only a knock on out the back away from running into a goal.
The thing I like the most about it is that it takes away such a big award for kicking a behind. The worry is that'll have to become tougher on rushed behinds though

I will pretty much give up the game if zones are introduced. Thats hard for me to type or say in person, but its true. I can live with last touch, 16 a side and 50m pens down to 25m pens, even a 25m square if that needed to happen. But if zones are implemented, i'm done. There is no other sport in the world that consistently changes its rules as ours does, and it frustrates the crap out of me. Shorter game time as well? Length is fine, but media will drive their agenda and the AFL will listen. If length goes down, that means there is no excuse then for a longer season.

Honestly reckon further reduction on interchanges is the obvious thing to try out if they want to stop congestion. Starting to get a bit fed up with it all, like the rules are a novelty. Leave it alone.

I'm abit of a traditionalist but I love the 25m kick out rule. It'll massively spread the oppositions zone. You have both wings, short chips to the defensive 50 to cover and not to mention if you have someone who can kick the ball 60m you can kick straight down the ground and are only only a knock on out the back away from running into a goal.
The thing I like the most about it is that it takes away such a big award for kicking a behind. The worry is that'll have to become tougher on rushed behinds though
Just have to get Southby back to do his 60-70 m torps.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

AFL article about scrapping the bench altogether and shortening games.

The AFL has made no secret that it's constantly looking to make the game quicker and more open.

It does mean that players with great endurance and who have the ability to run hard both ways become more and more valuable.
Slow players and especially slow tall players will become less valuable. We are already seeing that with slow tall forwards and ruckmen.
Same with players with poor endurance...even if you are a star footballer, what's the point if you can't get to many contests because you're exhausted?

The teams at the top of the ladder atm are running the opposition into the ground...able to run hard to apply huge defensive pressure and then also surge forward when they get the ball.

I've thought for a while that the infringements with Manning the mark or the protected zone should be 25m penalties or downfield if applicable. Save the 50m for late hits etc.
Paint me purple and call me paranoid, but, I’ve always thought the 50 leaves the game wide open to manipulation by umpires and in this betting age..?

Australian Football isn't really a sport that lends itself to spot fixing well.
Wonder what the average distance from, say 10 meters from a centre square ball up to the top of the goal square is.?
Just saying, may well just be bitter and twisted...and, almost, but not quite broken..

Paint me purple and call me paranoid, but, I’ve always thought the 50 leaves the game wide open to manipulation by umpires and in this betting age..?
I remember earlier this year LOB gave away a 50 for going over the mark. He said something like "where was my warning" suggesting he didnt know he was over the mark. To which the umpire responded "i dont need to give you a warning" which is fair enough if every single player didn't get called back 2 metres or whatever when theyve impeded the mark. The inconsistency is a joke and the penalty is absurd.

This is now a topic that we should be discussing indepth, there are going to be some serious changes to the way the game is played in 2019 which certainly will make clubs reassess who they have on their list and how many.

Charlie Curnow & Lukosious, players who can push up to the middle of the ground and back will be worth their weight in gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Went to the David Noble interview but take it to the bank in the Launch Pad.
- Extended goal “square” for kick outs, 5-10m
- 40 rotations limit
- 6 in the forward line at ball ups
- wingers set position
I hate the set positions.

They haven't exhausted trailing other, less obtrusive, methods.

I don't understand why people have got to try and devolve the game when tactics improve defensive performance

because lukosade will never get injured, is a risk-free draftee, is a guaranteed star, will be ready to go the day he is drafted and will never lose form

You make baby jesus cry ….

Last touch rule is a no brainer for mine - AFL is about moving fast continuously not dour mauls and congestion with fickle umpiring rulings to provide clearances.

25 meter kick in arc - destroys a lot of the forward press BS - kicked for goal and got a behind - tough S**T - now run back and defend against a torp hitting your defensive 50...- love it!

set positions - NO - because I hate offside rule in soccer with a passion - totally changed the game into a defensive crapola and also accelerated the importance of diving for frees.

reduce # of interchanges - GREAT - hate the fact that elite runners get no advantage or elite players can get continuously rotated on by hacks scragging them and then resting to start scragging again...players getting too tired - BOO HOO ...change the game plan coach.

Last touch rule is a no brainer for mine - AFL is about moving fast continuously not dour mauls and congestion with fickle umpiring rulings to provide clearances.

25 meter kick in arc - destroys a lot of the forward press BS - kicked for goal and got a behind - tough S**T - now run back and defend against a torp hitting your defensive 50...- love it!

set positions - NO - because I hate offside rule in soccer with a passion - totally changed the game into a defensive crapola and also accelerated the importance of diving for frees.

reduce # of interchanges - GREAT - hate the fact that elite runners get no advantage or elite players can get continuously rotated on by hacks scragging them and then resting to start scragging again...players getting too tired - BOO HOO ...change the game plan coach.

You are a hard man JAB … love it!

Coaches primarily are now doing a job. Win at all costs. The game mutating with 36 players in quarter of the ground for large chunks of time is not their job to fix. So they don't.
I think the game is just fine, its different from what it used to be and I feel all these rule changes are being made in the hopes of a return to high scoring, key forwards kicking bags every week ect.

Just accept the game for what it is now, its not always man on man, constant forward movement anymore because zone defence does not allow it to be.

Reactionary rule changes that are implemented in order to return the game to what it was pre professional era is slowing down the growth of the game for the most part IMO.

Just accept the game for what it is now
Sorry, totally will not accept anything that does not allow our game to be played in manner it was meant to be played. Did cricket accept bodyline fielding set ups when it was not good for the sport?
* no!
They adjusted for something that was not what the game was made to be to enjoy as a sport.
They brought in leg side field restrictions to bring the game to how it was expected to be played.

Same now for football. This game was not meant for interchange system to become a rotation system as blight on game with 36 players in one quarter of ground for big chunks of the game. Screw the attitude "accept it"

This is our bodyline type moment for our great game.
Change is coming for the good of the game. Bring it on.

Sorry, totally will not accept anything that does not allow our game to be played in manner it was meant to be played. Did cricket accept bodyline fielding set ups when it was not good for the sport?
**** no!
They adjusted for something that was not what the game was made to be to enjoy as a sport.
They brought in leg side field restrictions to bring the game to how it was expected to be played.

Same now for football. This game was not meant for interchange system to become a rotation system as blight on game with 36 players in one quarter of ground for big chunks of the game. Screw the attitude "accept it"

This is our bodyline type moment for our great game.
Change is coming for the good of the game. Bring it on.
Bodyline!? Bit of an overstatement to say the least, IMO I completely disagree for the reason that I would be shocked if it came out there was a team wide tactic to target and ultimately injure an opponent in order to win a game.

I might compare it to maybe the rushed behind rule because that is one exception to my point for the reason it really is obtrusively against the "spirit" of the game.

Ultimately I feel zones and set positions just limit the tools a team has to create new styles of football.

Different eras bring an emphasis on different skills, I feel it is really short sighted to reject it because it isn't what it used to be, appreciate new skills that have come to the fore like quick and clean hands and pickups in traffic ect.

Change is inevitable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back