Review Win’s a win: Freo in a grind over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnson for is the one that should be nervous. Fumbly and makes some bad decisions at times. If Erasmus plays well tomorrow I think MJ needs a spell at peel

can’t see erasmus being any better out on a wing 🤷‍♂️ johnson was good bar one poor turnover, if NOD gets fit and puts some form together then i could see him at peel, otherwise he’s got too much talent to stay out the team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I really want to like Emmett, but he’s been largely invisible for 3 weeks.

Does Cooper Simpson get a look?

I still like Emmett but I think Simpson should get a look in for him.

Johnson had a lot of positive moments I thought.

If anything I’d expect they bring JOM in, Emmett to Peel or sub. Not because that’s what I want, but just knowing what the coaches tend to do.

Agree Johnson was fine, one or two mistakes but they won’t drop him.

Seemed like one of those games when everything was scrappy.

Really impressed with Draper. He was clean with the ball and made good decisions.

Pearce was great, as was Clark. I think the biggest thing for me in this game was Switta, maybe I’m being harsh, but he’s been disappointing

It was so humid out there. Ball would’ve been like a cake of soap after two minutes of each quarter.

Backline absolutely immense.

Pearce, Ryan, Jordy Clark absolutely obliterated their star forwards.

Whole group is like massive fire blanket. Putting out fires.

Midfield was a little off, Hayden Young being best afield.

Would’ve liked the forward line to click and Freddy to contribute more than just one quarter.

Draper is going to be something special. He’s like a Johnno and Roger clone…
Great post. Agreed. Our defenders were outstanding tonight. Captain Pearce was on fire. Ryan was, too. Clark super impressive. He has to be my new favourite player. Just love his attitude. Total buy-in and gives 100%. Talent for days.

Josh Draper is gonna be another seriously talented defender. Great composer for a 2nd gamer. Only knock was he fatigued in the 4th quarter, but understable. Was a real busy night for our backline. Saved. Our. Asses.

Jeremy Sharp played his role well. Gut running the wing all night. Getting in great position. Cementing himself in the team.

And talking of cementing, our Bailey Banfield is producing some consistent quality football. Another solid game.

Oo it wasn’t pretty but I actually thought our ball movement was pretty good and fluid, what let is down is the very high number of dropped marks (someone mentioned it was humid at the stadium so that probably explains that to a degree).
I don’t mind this game plan, just need to tidy up marking. I thought everyone played well tbh.
Moose, Ryan and Clark were awesome. Jeremy Sharp has just about nailed the wing spot, Draper is *ing beauty, we got ourselves a very good player.

This should have been a 10 goal win though

It's very noticeable to me that we don't seem to apply enough pressure when our opponents are bringing the ball from defense with short kicks to players under no pressure at all. This happened again tonight on a number of occasions and it's not good. How often did Adelaide have a pass into the 50 that was under no pressure at all. For god's sake at least put some pressure on!
Most of those kicks were wide & we were guarding the corridor. They didn’t switch hardly at all & their slow movement allowed us to set up behind.

We need to remember that yes it was a dour game, but we are protecting our backline due to players out against a team tonight who have some serious power when their ball movement is good.

Credit to the backs & they were well supported by the mids & high forwards defensively, we had very good structure in the D50 with an outlet every time the ball hit the ground. That was good planning by our coaches & good practice for next week.

Forward half was frustrating with some poor skills, missed opportunities, average decision making & we just couldn’t get separation on the lead tonight. But they had a lot to play for & were desperate, so to play so badly in some areas of the ground but get a 6 goal win & keep them to 4 goals is great.

We’re running out games so very well, full credit to the players for their work in the preseason.

Last edited:
I probably enjoyed that win more than most (assuming so anyway). I thought that Adelaide's zone and flooding was pretty on point most of the night. Definitely didn't allow for much easy movement between the arcs. In saying that, I wasn't a fan of our forward's movement much and blame them more than the ones kicking i50.

Pros:
Pearce - has to be in AA convo now
Ryan/Walker/Draper/Aish/Clark - superb effort
Young - point of difference in the midfield in the end
Sonny
Finding a way to grind out another tough win
Start was kind of ok I guess compared to other weeks

Cons:
Forward movement and overall inaccuracy
Letting an Irishman take 11 marks
Too fumbly overall (but I thought the Adelaide pressure was pretty good)

Also shout out to the crowd tonight - 51k is awesome to see.

What a time to be a Freo supporter!

35 point win in a game some here were worried about and a heap to be happy about! Some of us called a 5-6 goal win, and boy did we deliver. We did them in so badly we could have won by ten goals. There is something building here that should have us all excited.

Draper is coming along quickly and with Chappy and Cox to come back, I want to find a way to keep him in the team.

Clark - he was lethal by foot tonight. Some dash and dare added in. He was a force tonight.

Pearce and Ryan - both of them came up big on so many occasions tonight. A big challenge next week, but their season so far has been AA discussion worthy.

Amiss finds a way to kick 2 without being in dominating form. Got about three steps to close to the man on the mark for his set shot. He ended up aiming it around the player on the mark. Could also have had a couple more from some non obvious holding the ball calls that were let go.

Treacy continues to grow and his field kicking is sublime. Goals from fifty - Boy oh Boy! That kick was an aphrodisiac.

3 - 0 and finals bound! We are witnessing the beginning of something. What a ride it will be!

Fyfe is still the most important player in this side.
I have a lot of doubts about this midfield groups ability to consistently get the ball moving in our direction against the top midfields if Nathan is not here.
With him in the 22 - everything is different though in that regard. He’s a totemic figure in there even if it’s only 20 touches a game - it’s just the presence he gives.

Can’t wait to see how we stack up against a powerhouse midfield from stoppage next week.
Curnow will be a big ask to handle for Luke Ryan. Think Pearce will have McKay covered ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did anyone see tabs do a soccer goalie impersonation at the end of a quarter that could have caused a goal.

had it pulled off i think i would have seen it all.

If anything I’d expect they bring JOM in, Emmett to Peel or sub. Not because that’s what I want, but just knowing what the coaches tend to do.

Agree Johnson was fine, one or two mistakes but they won’t drop him.
Uninspiring. Really over the great trainer, well respected tripe. JOM doesn’t fit this team.

If we play like that next week Carlton will stomp us. On a more positive note our defence is a brickwall. Kept them scoreless for 45 mins in the second half. Pearce is in AA form, Clark and Ryan not far behind him. And how good does Draper look!
Rubbish, if we play like that we'll smash them. Freo were absolutely dominant and the only reason it wasn't a 60+ point win was inaccuracy and some poor connection.

Treacy continues to grow and his field kicking is sublime. Goals from fifty - Boy oh Boy! That kick was an aphrodisiac.

anchorman will GIF

I think our strategy is to be on a semi-defensive, going at about 75% capacity for the first quarter (maybe a bit of the second) to conserve our tank. After we've lulled our opposition into a false-sense of confidence, gather intel and unleash a counter after HT. JL commonly refers to this as "the system".

After much experience on my couch watching the game, often with some ale and a bag of Cheetos I would like to apply for a position in the coaching box.

I would also be able to provide insight into people that look like things.

Like tonight, Ben Keays looks like circumcised penis, I would definitely be letting our coaching staff know about this. Crowley or Ballas could have used it to get under his skin for example. He must think he looks pretty slick too because he;s been keeping that ridiculous haircut immaculately trimmed for several seasons week in, week out. When he walks into the barber he just goes "Sir, I want my appearance to represent who I am on the inside - give me the 'dickhead'.

..What a dickhead

cb1a6188e70634b4126f4e078da1a251.jpg

Last edited:
Seemed like one of those games when everything was scrappy.

Really impressed with Draper. He was clean with the ball and made good decisions.

Pearce was great, as was Clark. I think the biggest thing for me in this game was Switta, maybe I’m being harsh, but he’s been disappointing
Switta was down this game, but I've thought he was big for us in the first couple games. He pressure had lifted a lot from last year.

Pearce was great, but I reckon everyone playing on Tex will have their best game of the season with that matchup

I’ve never seen a guy more cooked, Tom Stewart did as he pleased last week too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back