Review Win’s a win: Freo in a grind over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

It felt like whichever team found the tiniest part of composure would kick away and win that, thankfully it was us.

Sharp was free my friends, free.

It looked like the Crows fluffed their chances at all the right times to keep the door open and both sides seemed to fumble like it was a wet game.

Walters outworked their near total lack of interest in manning him up.

Over 50k people there and I don't think I've seen a Crows that big that was so heavily Freo.

Ugly win? Yes.

But to restrict the opposition to just one goal from the 2nd minute of the 2nd quarter with an undermanned defence is astounding.

Walters nearly dialled the clock back to 2014 and could've bagged 6 if he was in the zone. Emmett had some great nearly moments especially in the 2nd quarter, give him some time he's played 5 AFL games.

Not enough love for Young, his transition into the midfield hasn't been easy and he really looked like he belonged today. He's not fast or flashy but he doesn't need to be, he's naturally strong and the contested ball gets will increase - his disposal skills will come in handy when we're really contending.

Fyfe looks like he really belongs in the team, and he hasn't looked like that since 2020.

I dont suspect that that we will have the same inaccuracy issues as years passed, weather was really weird and muggy and we've had the shittest fixturing these first 3 weeks

Club has really surpassed my expectations so far this year and I think we're more than a shake at taking it to Carlton next week. From memory they don't play well in Adelaide.

Ugly win? Yes.

But to restrict the opposition to just one goal from the 2nd minute of the 2nd quarter with an undermanned defence is astounding.

Walters nearly dialled the clock back to 2014 and could've bagged 6 if he was in the zone. Emmett had some great nearly moments especially in the 2nd quarter, give him some time he's played 5 AFL games.

Not enough love for Young, his transition into the midfield hasn't been easy and he really looked like he belonged today. He's not fast or flashy but he doesn't need to be, he's naturally strong and the contested ball gets will increase - his disposal skills will come in handy when we're really contending.

Fyfe looks like he really belongs in the team, and he hasn't looked like that since 2020.

I dont suspect that that we will have the same inaccuracy issues as years passed, weather was really weird and muggy and we've had the shittest fixturing these first 3 weeks

Club has really surpassed my expectations so far this year and I think we're more than a shake at taking it to Carlton next week. From memory they don't play well in Adelaide.
If we can pinch one of the next 2 games in Adelaide we will be in a great position

Wow, how good was draper, moose and clark. Missed last week's game as I was on a boat and only got to listen to second half.

Moose and Clark were great in first win but Draper was very exciting to watch tonight.

Next week Worner must come in for Hughes and would like to see Cooper
as sub.

Well, that was quite the hot mess, but it never really did feel like the Crows were going to pile on the scoreboard pressure so we held on long enough to break it open at the end.

Forward of center one of the worst games I can remember

I've seen plenty even worse in 30 years, believe me! Amiss did look exhausted for most of the game, which is the reason I think his normally immaculate radar was off, but it is a credit to him that he still kept on presenting and got a couple. Same for Tabs and Treacy really. Walters had two thirds of our entire score at one point, but I thought it was actually pretty smart of the Crows to let him take his marks at 45m out - they clearly know, as we do, he simply cannot kick that far and it's getting worse as he approaches the end.

Probably the disappointing thing for me about the forwards tonight is that they got pushed back into the old "knock it and handball madly around trying to find the perfect shot for someone in the clear" routine, which inevitably backfired. I have more time for Tom Emmett than most because he does attack in straight lines, complemented by Switta's flashing feet going lateral; but it is just starting to look as if we're trying to coach it out of him, which I feel is a mistake.

I shook my head at JOM as sub again. If someone got injured early, understandable, but tactically he was never going to make one bit of difference or give us any burst of energy. I think he is handy to have around as cover, but that's about it at the moment.

I do think the mids were quite down, although their output in the first couple of games has been stellar. I have to join those who think Matt Johnson is on thin ice, I'm afraid. Yes, he has had a couple of impressive moments, but his mistakes have been disastrous and I don't think he's currently got the capacity to fully atone yet in the way that Andy B has, for example.

I also think Young hasn't been all that spectacular in 2024 either. Brisbane made a very conscious effort to corral his left side and prevent him from kicking at all costs in Round 1, which has become the standard playbook, and he still seems too handball happy to me. He was able to free the boot a few more times in the second half tonight, with great effect, and I do appreciate he is still fully learning the craft in the middle. So he does get more of a pass.

Defence was back to the brick wall of the early JLo years, led admirably by our captain and his stout general, the man the group around me are again taking to call "Roxette Ryan". They really did look to have that old synergy back tonight, after it being absent for huge stretches of 2023 - which is extremely impressive given that the back six included a second gamer and Hughes, who I usually want as far away from the defensive 50 as possible! I really do have to give Ethan a lot of credit, he was very good in this one.

And Draper reminded me so much of the young Michael Johnson circa 2006 (although the addition of the cornrows during this week did lessen the physical resemblance somewhat!). It was demonstrable growth after just one senior game, and while his greatest challenges certainly lie ahead in Adelaide, I think he's up for the challenge.

So let them rest, let them refresh, and then stealth across to steal a win (or two)...

I’m starting to get the feeling that teams come out with a plan to get through our zone and rack up a few scores then JL changes the way we setup & defend and it’s game over from there.

It’s a team defense, we’ve seen it 3 weeks in a row where the other mob sprints out of the blocks then by the second quarter they struggle to even get inside 50 & if they do it’s wide & shallow.

strange game but I’m prepared to accept the greasy ball defense for the poor skills.

The defense was superb tonight. Draper did the most MJ thing I’ve seen since the great man retired, a little basketball tap on a bouncing ground ball and it came straight back to him and he got it one touch and shimmied a bit and handed off. Beautiful.

The other thing that greatly exited me was Sharp. Easily his best game. There was one play he was running really tight against the boundary with not much ahead, Walters was one on one, Sharp held it till Walters started to double back at which point he chipped it over the Crows player and Walters ran onto a mark without breaking stride. It was superb thinking & execution.
Also he was playing the southern wing & when the ball went out he immediately ran to the other wing & setup wide for a switch. He really knows how to hold shape. That’s one wing sorted.

Ugly game but we dominated. I’ll take it.

If we play like that all year we'll have some frustrating games but we'll score well enough most of the time and absolutely smash teams that don't put in.

Sustaining the level is the key.
I don't think we will always play like that. JL basically said we made the game a grind because that is not where Adelaide are comfortable, they want open, high scoring games. Pretty impressive that the players are able to switch up the game plan depending on the opponent and execute well.

Well, that was quite the hot mess, but it never really did feel like the Crows were going to pile on the scoreboard pressure so we held on long enough to break it open at the end.

I've seen plenty even worse in 30 years, believe me! Amiss did look exhausted for most of the game, which is the reason I think his normally immaculate radar was off, but it is a credit to him that he still kept on presenting and got a couple. Same for Tabs and Treacy really. Walters had two thirds of our entire score at one point, but I thought it was actually pretty smart of the Crows to let him take his marks at 45m out - they clearly know, as we do, he simply cannot kick that far and it's getting worse as he approaches the end.

Probably the disappointing thing for me about the forwards tonight is that they got pushed back into the old "knock it and handball madly around trying to find the perfect shot for someone in the clear" routine, which inevitably backfired. I have more time for Tom Emmett than most because he does attack in straight lines, complemented by Switta's flashing feet going lateral; but it is just starting to look as if we're trying to coach it out of him, which I feel is a mistake.

I shook my head at JOM as sub again. If someone got injured early, understandable, but tactically he was never going to make one bit of difference or give us any burst of energy. I think he is handy to have around as cover, but that's about it at the moment.

I do think the mids were quite down, although their output in the first couple of games has been stellar. I have to join those who think Matt Johnson is on thin ice, I'm afraid. Yes, he has had a couple of impressive moments, but his mistakes have been disastrous and I don't think he's currently got the capacity to fully atone yet in the way that Andy B has, for example.

I also think Young hasn't been all that spectacular in 2024 either. Brisbane made a very conscious effort to corral his left side and prevent him from kicking at all costs in Round 1, which has become the standard playbook, and he still seems too handball happy to me. He was able to free the boot a few more times in the second half tonight, with great effect, and I do appreciate he is still fully learning the craft in the middle. So he does get more of a pass.

Defence was back to the brick wall of the early JLo years, led admirably by our captain and his stout general, the man the group around me are again taking to call "Roxette Ryan". They really did look to have that old synergy back tonight, after it being absent for huge stretches of 2023 - which is extremely impressive given that the back six included a second gamer and Hughes, who I usually want as far away from the defensive 50 as possible! I really do have to give Ethan a lot of credit, he was very good in this one.

And Draper reminded me so much of the young Michael Johnson circa 2006 (although the addition of the cornrows during this week did lessen the physical resemblance somewhat!). It was demonstrable growth after just one senior game, and while his greatest challenges certainly lie ahead in Adelaide, I think he's up for the challenge.

So let them rest, let them refresh, and then stealth across to steal a win (or two)...
You're kidding re. Young right? Yes rounds 1 and 2 were down, but he was in our top three tonight, our best mid easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OgKUENc.png

I’m starting to get the feeling that teams come out with a plan to get through our zone and rack up a few scores then JL changes the way we setup & defend and it’s game over from there.

It’s a team defense, we’ve seen it 3 weeks in a row where the other mob sprints out of the blocks then by the second quarter they struggle to even get inside 50 & if they do it’s wide & shallow.

strange game but I’m prepared to accept the greasy ball defense for the poor skills.

The defense was superb tonight. Draper did the most MJ thing I’ve seen since the great man retired, a little basketball tap on a bouncing ground ball and it came straight back to him and he got it one touch and shimmied a bit and handed off. Beautiful.

The other thing that greatly exited me was Sharp. Easily his best game. There was one play he was running really tight against the boundary with not much ahead, Walters was one on one, Sharp held it till Walters started to double back at which point he chipped it over the Crows player and Walters ran onto a mark without breaking stride. It was superb thinking & execution.
Also he was playing the southern wing & when the ball went out he immediately ran to the other wing & setup wide for a switch. He really knows how to hold shape. That’s one wing sorted.

That play by Sharp was in front of us and I agree it was really classy. I feel there hasn't been enough credit given to walker tonight. He defended well and dashed through a few times. Has done so well to come as he has from such a nasty injury and gives us a bit more leg speed which is welcome.

Wow, how good was draper, moose and clark. Missed last week's game as I was on a boat and only got to listen to second half.

Moose and Clark were great in first win but Draper was very exciting to watch tonight.

as sub.

I can’t remember which of the footy shows I saw it on, but a good observation was made about JLo and players like Brayshaw. They said that players like Brayshaw are able to be self critical at half time and make crucial adjustments. It appears JLo is doing the same, and clearly encouraging the team to think this way. They said it’s better to make changes in a mindset during the game than once it’s over.

as sub.
Nah I would keep in Hughes against Carlton because we will need the experience.

Next week Worner must come in for Hughes

Imho they won’t change the team (just like this week)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back