Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can have a camp fire anytime unless it is a total fire ban day. That has been my experience anyway. Doesn't generally affect us as we mostly camp outside restriction periods.
Apparently you can but it needs to be in a proper fire pit and there are many more regulations.

It's my experience camping that invariably most people cook their meals and spend the hours before bed sitting in camp chairs until retiring for bed. That the joy of camping. Sitting outside enjoying the great outdoors. Especially at that time of year.

If the report of the drone flying after 1840 is correct that means their dinner would not have been prepared or eaten until around dusk or later.

If they were attacked before bed it's therefore probable that they were sitting in their camp chairs when the initial altercation happened.

Most people tend to set up camp chairs and tables on a tarp or some sort of matting. Perhaps that may explain the lack of any blood being found outside the tent.

Just a thought.

Are we still running with the killer drawing a picture of the scene on the 4wd in charcoal like earlier in the thread?

No, but the more i look at that fire, if that is all ablaze, that surely isnt missed by what is a frequented valley etc.

You can hear a pindrop they say, and its hardly crackling branches but this wouldnt be noticeable ?

The water is low then iirc so theres no disguising the sound.

The person viewing all this gates and turning etc etc....dosent check out.

No, but the more i look at that fire, if that is all ablaze, that surely isnt missed by what is a frequented valley etc.

You can hear a pindrop they say, and its hardly crackling branches but this wouldnt be noticeable ?

The water is low then iirc so theres no disguising the sound.

The person viewing all this gates and turning etc etc....dosent check out.
Just to add to your comment, I have done a lot of bush camping and whilst it is true sounds can travel far, sometimes they don't. Granted a gunshot with an echoing sound would generally travel anyway.

We have been camping 500 or so metres from rowdy campers and depending on the breeze/wind direction sometimes you hear nothing. We have passed someone with a chainsaw and couldn't hear it at camp 1 km away. Conditions can play a big part, density of bush too.

Not sure what the conditions were that night? In a still valley, yeah you would hear a pin drop.

The Drone is No:1 by miles. Already been proven by the Bush Worker. Next was or could be Lynn removes Hill's campsite markers. Hill was there the week before knowing he was taking his girl and wanted the best spot. Get's there and Lynn says no way nobody is here that's my spot. They are the only 2 motives but we know Hill was flying his drone and he pissed off the bush worker by flying over his campsite. Quote Bushworker "That was disrespectful" See Sixty Mins Show for more on that. Lynn a Pilot and sensitive to noise cops 2 of the same and explodes and tells Hill to put the F-Drone Away but Hill always stands up for himself and tells Lynn to F-off.! It's 100% along those lines, we just don't know what Lynn did in the end, Gun or Knife or run them over. I believe Gun...
RH wasn't in the valley the week before though... He was up on King Billy. I do agree that they seem to be the most likely triggers at this point.
Still not convinced on the gun... But that's just my gut feeling.

The sad thing for me is Hill's thinking I don't back down , had my teeth knocked out before, Lynn looks less than intimidating physically. Hill has no idea he's dealing with a Psychopath. Arguing over noise and the drone which is disrespectful to many people but you don't expect to be dead over this sort of bullshit. Lynn a total Narcissist has no toleration for Hill's tough guy antics and the rest is history. These 2 guys were on a collision course, Clay collateral damage, so sad.! If Lynn has danced the rodeo before then we can only hope that Lynn's time has come to an end because of someone like Russell Hill, nobody wins in truth IMO. Certainly not Lynn although he's still alive but I'm not sure how Lynn will cope with not getting his own way in Jail? Lynn and Jail don't seem compatible, but having said that I don't think he's capable of doing too much about it behind closed bars.!
Viable theory. Lynn takes out the pegs. Hill returns and has a barney over the camping site. Lynn says GTFO. CC may have thrown in a few choice words. Hill starts buzzing his drone over Lynn's tent. Lynn grabs a weapon, possibly a gun, whacks them both. I have a feeling the word 'campaigner' was used more than once.

More viable than my threesome INXS-inspired bondage oops theory.

Just to add to your comment, I have done a lot of bush camping and whilst it is true sounds can travel far, sometimes they don't. Granted a gunshot with an echoing sound would generally travel anyway.

We have been camping 500 or so metres from rowdy campers and depending on the breeze/wind direction sometimes you hear nothing. We have passed someone with a chainsaw and couldn't hear it at camp 1 km away. Conditions can play a big part, density of bush too.

Not sure what the conditions were that night? In a still valley, yeah you would hear a pin drop.

This means what ?

One minute its a mythical backdrop next its Rottnest island.

I dont see how whoever knew of the car turning etc didnt notice this.

Last edited:
This means what ?

One minute its a mythical backdrop next its Rottnest island.

I dont see how whoever knew of the car turning etc didnt notice this.
All good, just saying sometimes you can't hear everything in the bush. Thought you were referring to the fire lit at the campsite.

Agreed on the turning of vehicle.

Viable theory. Lynn takes out the pegs. Hill returns and has a barney over the camping site. Lynn says GTFO. CC may have thrown in a few choice words. Hill starts buzzing his drone over Lynn's tent. Lynn grabs a weapon, possibly a gun, whacks them both. I have a feeling the word 'campaigner' was used more than once.

More viable than my threesome INXS-inspired bondage oops theory.
My only issue with the campsite barney theory is that by all accounts, it appears Lynn was the one with the prime spot. In which case, wouldn't be the other way around? RH doing something to sabotage his site? Given his camp was set up it would appear that he just chose another spot. Moreover, if the tent was unpegged and collapsed, would it have burnt the way it did? The metal bucket and gas bottle has me thinking he set a fire (with organic material) in the bucket and turned the gas on before bugging out, leaving it to ignite the gas after he was on the road.

RH wasn't in the valley the week before though... He was up on King Billy. I do agree that they seem to be the most likely triggers at this point.
Still not convinced on the gun... But that's just my gut feeling.

One of the 60 minutes shows or one article said he was there the week before insinuating WV. If it wasn't the gun whats your gut feeling?

One of the 60 minutes shows or one article said he was there the week before insinuating WV. If it wasn't the gun whats your gut feeling?
I'll have to find it but there was an article where Rob Ashlin (RH radio mate) talks about his previous trip, stating that he's been up at KB and that he only went for one night, which they all thought was strange. I can only reasonably assume that as they were in nightly contact, that he has told them that was where he was. (Of course, if he was trying to cover up where he was he could have told them he was anywhere he wanted to have them believe he was). As we've seen in various articles, the MSM isn't particularly familiar with the area and any area in the High Country is deemed as "close". KB is a decent distance and a number of tracks away from WV. I'm guessing now that they've been out there, they'll have a different view of what "close" is.

As for weapon - there's a couple of things that lead me away from the gunshot theory: People heard the car turning around, but no reports of gunshots (which given the circumstances, I would think you'd remember - particularly 2 in relatively quick succession). Gunshot wounds would leave a lot of blood behind, which if occurred in the tent would have been destroyed by the fire - but I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me this all occurred in the tent. My gut is telling me blunt force or physical violence...something quick but quiet.
I'm also wondering now if he riffled through the car and took only their credit cards, that (unless he was wearing gloves) he potentially has left fingerprints somewhere. This points toward him trying to make the scene look like it was theft related, which paints a picture of him thinking reasonably clearly post the event. Quite chilling to think about really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have to find it but there was an article where Rob Ashlin (RH radio mate) talks about his previous trip, stating that he's been up at KB and that he only went for one night, which they all thought was strange. I can only reasonably assume that as they were in nightly contact, that he has told them that was where he was. (Of course, if he was trying to cover up where he was he could have told them he was anywhere he wanted to have them believe he was). As we've seen in various articles, the MSM isn't particularly familiar with the area and any area in the High Country is deemed as "close". KB is a decent distance and a number of tracks away from WV. I'm guessing now that they've been out there, they'll have a different view of what "close" is.

As for weapon - there's a couple of things that lead me away from the gunshot theory: People heard the car turning around, but no reports of gunshots (which given the circumstances, I would think you'd remember - particularly 2 in relatively quick succession). Gunshot wounds would leave a lot of blood behind, which if occurred in the tent would have been destroyed by the fire - but I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me this all occurred in the tent. My gut is telling me blunt force or physical violence...something quick but quiet.
I'm also wondering now if he riffled through the car and took only their credit cards, that (unless he was wearing gloves) he potentially has left fingerprints somewhere. This points toward him trying to make the scene look like it was theft related, which paints a picture of him thinking reasonably clearly post the event. Quite chilling to think about really.

He knew he was taking Clay up there the following week so why else would he go up that way the week before for 1 night? Anyway I think this pales into nothing really as the Drone is most surely the catalyst not the camp site. Yeah he has been painted as very calm under pressure so he is capable of everything really. If he's that calm and has killed before with a knife as many suggest (Animals) he could have used a knife? My initial theory was gun because I thought he would want to use the easiest method. Off course if he snuck up with a gun and shot them with the gun up against their bodies no sound would be heard. Yeah his effort to mess with their cards doesn't make any sense other than to make it look like a theft which certainly didn't trick Police into anything. He could mislead Ashlin because Ashlin didn't approve of him having an affair with Clay, in fact he didn't tell Ashlin he had Clay with him so perhaps he was at WV the week before and simply told Ashlin something else?

He knew he was taking Clay up there the following week so why else would he go up that way the week before for 1 night?
He could mislead Ashlin because Ashlin didn't approve of him having an affair with Clay, in fact he didn't tell Ashlin he had Clay with him so perhaps he was at WV the week before and simply told Ashlin something else?
Considered and it's definitely possible. However, it seems he has spent almost every weekend in the HC for some time prior.
It does beg the question, but here is quite a few references to it. Plus one of the guys from his radio group confirmed that's where he said he was.

"Mr Hill was camping alone in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track. He was driving his Landcruiser and had his drone, which is yet to be found."

" Then on March 11, Russell told friends and family he was heading to camp alone on the King Billy Track between Wonnangatta and Mount Buller."

" Detectives have established Mr Hill was camping alone with his Landcruiser in the area of King Billy and Bluff Track, between March 11 and 13."

Anyway I think this pales into nothing really as the Drone is most surely the catalyst not the camp site.
I agree

Yeah he has been painted as very calm under pressure so he is capable of everything really. If he's that calm and has killed before with a knife as many suggest (Animals) he could have used a knife? My initial theory was gun because I thought he would want to use the easiest method. Off course if he snuck up with a gun and shot them with the gun up against their bodies no sound would be heard.
I'm no gun expert, but I'd say even at close range there'd likely be an echo and a knife attack may well leave lots of blood evidence as well.
All JMO, and as earlier stated, this robust discussion is great. If we all thought the same thing, life would be boring :)

Another Herald Sun Paid Article depicting Lynn's torrid time in Jail so far. Bit of a nothing story but Reporter Aneeka Simonis has worked hard and visited all these forums and the aviation ones to gather info on Lynn. It will be interesting to see how Lynn copes with Prison life?

The man accused of killing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay has had a rough start in prison, thanks to some unruly inmates.

Accused campsite killer Greg Lynn has had a rough start in prison.
Prison insiders have spilled on the Jetstar pilot’s first week in custody, describing it as a “baptism of fire” surrounded by unruly inmates in one of Melbourne’s highest security prisons.

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal Lynn, 55, is in protective custody in unit 8 at Melbourne Assessment Prison – the same unit where Cardinal George Pell and Bourke St killer James Gargasoulas were previously caged.

The unit is reserved for Victoria’s most high profile alleged criminals and allows prison authorities to keep a close eye on inmates who would be at risk in the wider prison population.

An insider said the unit is full of unsavoury characters who scream from their cells at all hours.

“The unit is extremely loud and noisy due to the profile of prisoner in there so he is getting a baptism of fire,” the prison source said.

The source said many inmates were “noisy…disruptive unmanageable a**holes”.

Lynn has tried to keep a low profile since being admitted to Melbourne Assessment Prison from Sale last Friday.

In the past week he has shaped up as one of Australia’s most high profile alleged murderers

Prisoners with such a profile can often attract negative attention behind bars so his safety will be a significant priority in the months ahead.

Like any other inmate, Lynn is being made to complete 14 days quarantine.

But given his high profile, once he is released from quarantine he will spend 23 hours a day locked in his cell, with only a single hour allocated for exercise and fresh air.

These conditions would be a huge adjustment for the avid outdoorsman who formerly spent his free time roaming Victoria’s wilderness for days at a time.

Lynn’s final moments of freedom were spent at a remote campsite in Arbuckle Junction, not far from where he allegedly murdered Russell Hill, 74, and Carol Clay, 73, in the Wonnanngatta Valley on March 20 last year.

I'm no gun expert, but I'd say even at close range there'd likely be an echo and a knife attack may well leave lots of blood evidence as well.
All JMO, and as earlier stated, this robust discussion is great. If we all thought the same thing, life would be boring :)

Agreed 100% the robust discussion enables us to draw some conclusions without knowing everything the Police know.

Considered and it's definitely possible. However, it seems he has spent almost every weekend in the HC for some time prior.
It does beg the question, but here is quite a few references to it. Plus one of the guys from his radio group confirmed that's where he said he was.

"Mr Hill was camping alone in the area of the King Billy and Bluff Track. He was driving his Landcruiser and had his drone, which is yet to be found."

" Then on March 11, Russell told friends and family he was heading to camp alone on the King Billy Track between Wonnangatta and Mount Buller."

" Detectives have established Mr Hill was camping alone with his Landcruiser in the area of King Billy and Bluff Track, between March 11 and 13."

This is interesting Badd0g as the 60 minutes show below confirms Russell Hill was at the Wonnangatta Campsite the week before on his own.! Go to the 16.15 minute mark of the show.

I've listened to the 60 minute show again and they say Hill had been near here the week before. I didn't pick up on the "Near Here". King Billy is nearly 3 hours away so not really near?

Another Herald Sun Paid Article depicting Lynn's torrid time in Jail so far. Bit of a nothing story but Reporter Aneeka Simonis has worked hard and visited all these forums and the aviation ones to gather info on Lynn. It will be interesting to see how Lynn copes with Prison life?

The man accused of killing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay has had a rough start in prison, thanks to some unruly inmates.

Accused campsite killer Greg Lynn has had a rough start in prison.
Prison insiders have spilled on the Jetstar pilot’s first week in custody, describing it as a “baptism of fire” surrounded by unruly inmates in one of Melbourne’s highest security prisons.

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal Lynn, 55, is in protective custody in unit 8 at Melbourne Assessment Prison – the same unit where Cardinal George Pell and Bourke St killer James Gargasoulas were previously caged.

The unit is reserved for Victoria’s most high profile alleged criminals and allows prison authorities to keep a close eye on inmates who would be at risk in the wider prison population.

An insider said the unit is full of unsavoury characters who scream from their cells at all hours.

“The unit is extremely loud and noisy due to the profile of prisoner in there so he is getting a baptism of fire,” the prison source said.

The source said many inmates were “noisy…disruptive unmanageable a**holes”.

Lynn has tried to keep a low profile since being admitted to Melbourne Assessment Prison from Sale last Friday.

In the past week he has shaped up as one of Australia’s most high profile alleged murderers

Prisoners with such a profile can often attract negative attention behind bars so his safety will be a significant priority in the months ahead.

Like any other inmate, Lynn is being made to complete 14 days quarantine.

But given his high profile, once he is released from quarantine he will spend 23 hours a day locked in his cell, with only a single hour allocated for exercise and fresh air.

These conditions would be a huge adjustment for the avid outdoorsman who formerly spent his free time roaming Victoria’s wilderness for days at a time.

Lynn’s final moments of freedom were spent at a remote campsite in Arbuckle Junction, not far from where he allegedly murdered Russell Hill, 74, and Carol Clay, 73, in the Wonnanngatta Valley on March 20 last year.
Cardinal Pell's prison journal describes life in the MAP. He also experienced some unruly and noisy "neighbours", including Gargasoulas who sent him a letter announcing himself as some kind of saviour of the world. The prisoners don't mix with anyone except the guards and the doctor and approved visitors. When/if Lynn is convicted and sentenced he will be sent elsewhere.

You're right, a nothing article.

I agree

I have bought this up before but if Lynn was "into" guns could he have a handgun with silencer? Being a pilot might have access to shady imports & evade airport security.

I know this is far fetched, but...

I have bought this up before but if Lynn was "into" guns could he have a handgun with silencer? Being a pilot might have access to shady imports & evade airport security.

It's not that far fetched IMO. He could have collected all sorts of things as a Pilot. In the early days Lynn wouldn't have been subject to a metal detector etc before boarding. He was also a member of the Melbourne International Shooting Club https://www.misc.org.au/

Having something like this and taking it with you in the car pose some risks but who knows with Lynn? All sorts of things coming out of the woodwork now. Police would know cause of death now IMO even though they wouldn't have processed remains yet. (Cause of death according to Lynn).

I've listened to the 60 minute show again and they say Hill had been near here the week before. I didn't pick up on the "Near Here". King Billy is nearly 3 hours away so not really near?
Probably a bit less...about 2+ depending on conditions. As the crow flies, though, only 20ish kms. Hence what I said about the MSM talking up "close to" or "near here"...I do think that their lack of familiarity with the area, coupled with the (assumed) view that the general public wouldn't know either leads them to dramatize such things. You only have to look at the early maps that were published when they went missing - many had the WV up near the Vic/NSW border - nowhere near where it went down.

I wouldn't say it's far-fetched to suggest he might own one, but hunters usually use rifles for deer. If he was taking a silenced pistol out camping/hunting with him, that would suggest he was prepared to use it in order to be undetected. Unless there was some pre-meditation involved, I can think why he would need to carry something like that. For personal protection? Surely if needed in that situation it would be a matter of self-defense and no need to be quiet.

I wouldn't say it's far-fetched to suggest he might own one, but hunters usually use rifles for deer. If he was taking a silenced pistol out camping/hunting with him, that would suggest he was prepared to use it in order to be undetected. Unless there was some pre-meditation involved, I can think why he would need to carry something like that. For personal protection? Surely if needed in that situation it would be a matter of self-defense and no need to be quiet.

Yeah it's not a weapon you need unless your planning something sinister. I'm sure Lynn had a gun of some description in his possession that fateful day the question we all wan't to know is did he use it?

Back