Current Trial Wonnangatta - Russell Hill & Carol Clay vanish *Pilot Greg Lynn charged with murder

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I have bought this up before but if Lynn was "into" guns could he have a handgun with silencer? Being a pilot might have access to shady imports & evade airport security.

I know this is far fetched, but...
If the police find anything like that he’ll be inside for a long stint regardless of the murders. I would say the answer is no.

Just because there has been no reports of gunshots doesn’t mean there wasn’t one, remember police always hold something back front he media etc.. maybe to trap him, asking did you fire your gun that night?
He answers no, they come back saying gunshots were heard etc…

That's an interesting theory. All the Police correspondence and witness reports mentioned not hearing any gunfire around the time but they reported hearing the car at midnight. 60 Minutes even aired a show about what could have happened.? Did forensics even look for a bullet? The campsite arson was all about covering up what happened at Hill & Clays campsite so it's safe to assume their deaths occurred there. If this is the case Lynn ambushed them there too. The gun thing is the most logical one, but not one mention of anyone hearing anything like a gun. Could the wind have been blowing the other way? Being a Valley logic suggests gunfire would echo thoughout but I've never been there so wouldn't know.

Just because there has been no reports of gunshots doesn’t mean there wasn’t one, remember police always hold something back front he media etc.. maybe to trap him, asking did you fire your gun that night?
He answers no, they come back saying gunshots were heard etc…
This is true. I'm sure there is a lot of info from people in the valley that night that hasn't gone public.

Maybe the black pvc pipe on the roof rack was made to conceal the rifles. Could've even had the trigger rigged with a fishing line through his car window. Would explain the helicopters and swat team

He had guns or a gun with him when he was apprehended. If the PVC pipe was lockable he may well have a gun in there? I don't think he had a remote trigger LOL..! ;)

Maybe the black pvc pipe on the roof rack was made to conceal the rifles. Could've even had the trigger rigged with a fishing line through his car window. Would explain the helicopters and swat team

Not sure if serious but it made me laugh...

The Patrol may have actually been a tank, painted to look like a Patrol. Have they ruled this out yet?

Another Herald Sun Paid Article depicting Lynn's torrid time in Jail so far. Bit of a nothing story but Reporter Aneeka Simonis has worked hard and visited all these forums and the aviation ones to gather info on Lynn. It will be interesting to see how Lynn copes with Prison life?

The man accused of killing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay has had a rough start in prison, thanks to some unruly inmates.

Accused campsite killer Greg Lynn has had a rough start in prison.
Prison insiders have spilled on the Jetstar pilot’s first week in custody, describing it as a “baptism of fire” surrounded by unruly inmates in one of Melbourne’s highest security prisons.

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal Lynn, 55, is in protective custody in unit 8 at Melbourne Assessment Prison – the same unit where Cardinal George Pell and Bourke St killer James Gargasoulas were previously caged.

The unit is reserved for Victoria’s most high profile alleged criminals and allows prison authorities to keep a close eye on inmates who would be at risk in the wider prison population.

An insider said the unit is full of unsavoury characters who scream from their cells at all hours.

“The unit is extremely loud and noisy due to the profile of prisoner in there so he is getting a baptism of fire,” the prison source said.

The source said many inmates were “noisy…disruptive unmanageable a**holes”.

Lynn has tried to keep a low profile since being admitted to Melbourne Assessment Prison from Sale last Friday.

In the past week he has shaped up as one of Australia’s most high profile alleged murderers

Prisoners with such a profile can often attract negative attention behind bars so his safety will be a significant priority in the months ahead.

Like any other inmate, Lynn is being made to complete 14 days quarantine.

But given his high profile, once he is released from quarantine he will spend 23 hours a day locked in his cell, with only a single hour allocated for exercise and fresh air.

These conditions would be a huge adjustment for the avid outdoorsman who formerly spent his free time roaming Victoria’s wilderness for days at a time.

Lynn’s final moments of freedom were spent at a remote campsite in Arbuckle Junction, not far from where he allegedly murdered Russell Hill, 74, and Carol Clay, 73, in the Wonnanngatta Valley on March 20 last year.

Surely we don't count visiting a few forums as working hard these days? Modern day journalism really is trash

Whatever. She was the only journo doing it and the Herald Sun had the best coverage IMO.

It's a very low bar to set, especially considering most of the content on here is pure unfounded speculation.

If he went to Grant HA on the way home post body disposal there is no logical reason for him to travel home via Hotham after departing Grant HA instead of the clearly shorter route via Dargo. It just doesnt make sense and we are talking about someone who knows the area very well and has extensive navigation knowledge.

Why are we assuming he went home?

Not sure if serious but it made me laugh...

The Patrol may have actually been a tank, painted to look like a Patrol. Have they ruled this out yet?
gumtree
c712a4d078abb9f3dbf5aa1d3340c995.jpg

imho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a very low bar to set, especially considering most of the content on here is pure unfounded speculation.

She wasn't getting anything important from these forums but from the Aviation Forums and that helped her build some sort of profile on Lynn after all nobody knew who he was. So no speculation whatsoever, just feedback from other Pilots who had worked with Lynn. I personally don't think that's a low bar to set at all. She was the only reporter doing it to my knowledge. Hope that clears it for you Craffles

Zidane assumed that initially as its sort of an automatic reaction but if he went home early that might look weird so perhaps he went somewhere else? He's just allegedly killed 2 innocent people and Lynn seems capable of doing anything so a good chance he found another camping spot? If he could do that like nothing had happened then that's scary IMO.

The GAR is the main road out of the area to the north. The high country has hundreds of campsites - if he decided to keep camping I dont see why he would head for Hotham. Reasonable assumption that after an all nighter having just killed an elderly couple then attempt to cover it up that he would most likely head home.

Zidane assumed that initially as its sort of an automatic reaction but if he went home early that might look weird so perhaps he went somewhere else? He's just allegedly killed 2 innocent people and Lynn seems capable of doing anything so a good chance he found another camping spot? If he could do that like nothing had happened then that's scary IMO.
If he were smart (and TBF there’s not much evidence he is) he’d absolutely have stuck around, but relocated to a different campsite. There would obviously be evidence he was in the area so to suddenly shoot home puts a target on his back.

In fact if he’d had time to think about it, he might have buried the bodies a lot closer than he did and moved a couple of kilometres away. Would never have been picked up on the CCTV.

There were other possibilities too. For example, he could have bundled everything in their vehicle and rolled it into the river at a point that was deep enough. It might not have registered that they were missing for much longer and it would have been a needle in a haystack, not being sure exactly where they camped and when they went missing.

Last edited:
If he were smart (and TBF there’s not much evidence he is) he’d absolutely have stuck around, but relocated to a different campsite. There would obviously be evidence he was in the area so to suddenly shoot home puts a target on his back.

In fact if he’d had time to think about it, he might have buried the bodies a lot closer than he did and moved a couple of kilometres away. Would never have been picked up on the CCTV.

There were other possibilities too. For example, he could have bundled everything in their vehicle and rolled it into the river at a point that was deep enough. It might not have registered that they were missing for much longer and it would have been a needle in a haystack, not being sure exactly where they camped and when they went missing.

Most of his actions on the night that are alleged don't paint a picture of someone very smart but more so of someone who's shitting themselves and panicking because he's just killed an elderly couple after getting into an altercation with the man.

Even the turnaround at the gate - if you are thinking clearly you get the jockey wheel out, unhitch and swing the trailer around. Turn the vehicle around on its own and hitch up again. Instead it looks like he tries turning around with the trailer hitched up on a narrow track - possible but very time consuming and not the logical thing to do.

It even appears that he left his phone on for his subsequent journey out of the 'gatta and his phone ended up pinging whenever he came within mobile reception. Again, obviously not thinking clearly but acting in a panic. And like you say, he could have stuffed all their crap in their vehicle and rolled it off a cliff somewhere (although he would have to walk back to his vehicle limiting his range to a 2 hour walk back to camp at most). It would have been assumed that the couple had moved campsites as the last known position of them would have been the 6pm radio call.

There were multiple alternative routes out of the area that probably didn't have CCTV footage either, Hotham was the one that definitely did with its resort cameras.

Fortunately most criminals are not smart, particularly when it's an unplanned scenario & they need to think on their feet... which is good, as more likely to be caught.

What he may also have done (I think I would) especially if he was in a panic (paranoia) is not go home just yet because someone may have seen you commit the crime, got your numberplate and reported it and the cops were waiting for you there. You'd buy the papers to see what was happening and look/check for signs they know it was you. At least then you could go into hiding.

I’m guessing but the fact the tent and other items were burnt to hide evidence, means he wasn’t hanging around …

I’m guessing but the fact the tent and other items were burnt to hide evidence, means he wasn’t hanging around …
It’s a good reason not to hang around at the same spot, but heading home straight away would be a red flag and a half if he had intended to stay a few more days.

The smart thing to do would have been to find another spot not too close where there were no campers and set up there, and pretend you’d been there the whole time.

Not sure if you've spent much time in the HC, but alpine rivers are rarely deep enough at the end of summer to cover the height of a 4wd.
Even the turnaround at the gate - if you are thinking clearly you get the jockey wheel out, unhitch and swing the trailer around. Turn the vehicle around on its own and hitch up again. Instead it looks like he tries turning around with the trailer hitched up on a narrow track - possible but very time consuming and not the logical thing to do.
This! 100% my first thought. The track isn't as narrow as some at that point and turning a vehicle sans trailer would have been a hell of a lot easier. I can imagine him swearing his head off though, as just beyond the gate is a perfect place to turn around.
From the witness statement re him asking about best camp sites (assuming it was him) leads me to believe it was possibly his first time in the valley and wouldn't have known where that gate was, even if he had the info that is was closed (and had been pretty much since the fires). Could also explain why he hotfoot it up the unknown Herne Spur rather than going back up Zeka (he'd come down it and made the assessment that going up would have been a slog in the dark). IMO

Not sure if you've spent much time in the HC, but alpine rivers are rarely deep enough at the end of summer to cover the height of a 4wd.
I had considered that, but after 6-9 months under water I doubt they’d be of much use by the time it was found. He left the crime scene behind anyway.

If the bodies had serious telltale signs he could have buried them elsewhere, but ultimately leaving the crime scene as it was and driving too far that night are most likely what brought him undone.

Back