Worst no.1 pick in the modern era?

The worst no1 draft pick in the modern era

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if I've missed any realistic contenders. Few guys in there who you could call stiff. Its obviously a pre-emptive thread, so don't take offence if you disagree with an option, but Patton and Boyd haven't set the game alight.

My vote goes to Kreuzer. Hurt his knee years ago, and just hasn't looked anywhere near elite for many years.

Still provided more than Fraser though.
Looks like the poll has backfired on you (even though Watts is not the right answer to the question).
Definitely more interested in the comments than the poll selections. Jack Watts option is the joke that keeps on giving to BigFooty's lowest common denominator.

First of all, boyd and patton shouldn't even be options. Boyd has played like 20 games and patton has done his knee twice. they're key position players so lets wait untill they've had 60-70 games at least before we judge.

Let's not forget how utterly inept jack watts was. He wins this poll quite easily based on his first 5-7 seasons.

Watts is really the only one I can pick and feel it's right. Pies got 200 games out of Fraser, and he was alright, Kreuzer has had his injuries, Scully has been alright, and good the last few seasons, Patton has had injuries and hardly played, and Boyd has hardly played. Watts has been mostly pretty bad his whole career, but looks to be going alright this year.
Clive was too long ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs more options to vote for

Scully, Kreuzer and Watts were all such terrible #1 picks I can't really split them. Voted Scully because at least Watts and Kreuzer could have been something special whereas Scully is about a bland a midfielder you can get and really should have been a mid first rounder.

Scully was considered a very promising mid at Melbourne in his first year, so much so a rival was desperate to make him an offer he couldn't refuse.

In doing so they gift wrapped Jesse Hogan to the Dees.

That works.

Scully, Kreuzer and Watts were all such terrible #1 picks I can't really split them. Voted Scully because at least Watts and Kreuzer could have been something special whereas Scully is about a bland a midfielder you can get and really should have been a mid first rounder.

Haven't really watched Scully recently? Last you could see what was coming but he's really kicked on this season. Genuine pacy, gut running, goal kicking mid. While it might have been a slow burn he's now getting to the level expected of someone with his talent. His class on the outside will play a big part in the Giants march towards finals.

Haven't really watched Scully recently? Last you could see what was coming but he's really kicked on this season. Genuine pacy, gut running, goal kicking mid. While it might have been a slow burn he's now getting to the level expected of someone with his talent. His class on the outside will play a big part in the Giants march towards finals.
Totally agree. Scully has been on fire recently, funny that it's taken so long for one of the most talented no. 1s in recent history.

Totally agree. Scully has been on fire recently, funny that it's taken so long for one of the most talented no. 1s in recent history.

Watts is starting to come on too, however the way I see it is his upside is also his downside. The value of a roaming KP sized forward is great, but it's also far harder to remain at a consistent high level. Scully on the other hand as a midfielder will find it far easier to maintain consistency. Even as a predominantly outside player he's shown he can get in close and earn the hard ball himself, which is handy when times are tough collecting it on the outer. Because of this, although Watts is currently projecting a 40 goal season if he maintains his form (from a small sample size), even 30 goals would be a massive win for him and Melbourne, especially so if he can also keep up his general score involvements.

Even though my name would suggest otherwise, Scully has been really good this season.

I think there is one big omission on the poll: Lachie Whitfield 2012.

I just don't see it. He's got endurance but seems soft.

Back