Opinion Worst team for red time composure in the afl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Sydney tonight it was clinical the way they iced that game in the last 10 minutes. They never looked like making a mistake like a silly kick, stupid free or missed pass. We can always without fail be relied upon to do something stupid to keep teams alive. Even last night with 25-seconds to go in first quarter … Cumberland drops a sitter that would have made it 7 or 12 point margin at 1/4 time. Ball rebounds and Balta gives away a free kick despite us having 2 on 1 numbers. Scores level at 1/4 time.

Then the Baker free and 50m… goal.

And it’s clear we don’t train close finishes under Dimma as we are 9-22 under his coaching in games decided by under a goal. That’s a pattern, not a fluke.

Even at the end last night … we know there can only be seconds left and Broad (a very experienced player) gets the ball alone at half back…. and he goes sideways to
Macca (why the * aren’t you heading straight down the guts!!)…. Then Macca (very experienced) friggin stops… and chips back across goal!!!! That is the play of players who were not switched on to go hell for
leather down the middle if we got a free ball … which we did with about 17-seconds left. Enough time to barrel down the middle and hope for a lucky bounce or something and a kick I50 for a mark. It just highlighted the dumb dumb dumb footy we played in close games all year.

We clearly didn’t train it and you can tell when you watch the Pies, Lions, Cats and Swans in close games. They may not win them all, but they know EXACTLY what to try and do in order to save the game or win it. We’ve got no idea and we need to address our closing skills as a huge priority in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unfortunately we learnt nothing with all those close loses throughout the year. All of them calamities

Geelong - letting geelong take a mark minutes to go
Gc - cannot defend anything
North - same thing. Too much space d50
Freo - no time management again to score a point

As a result vs bris, we had no idea to spoil an easy high ball in the goal sqaure or urgency in the last 30 seconds to blast down the middle.

Just poor coaching really.

There was a worrying pattern throughout the season, it was a Blueprint to our finals loss, we just went into default mode of giving away cheap 50s, and doing the same wrong things- that we’ve been doing for two years and this year has been the most frustrating of all. we gave away too many games we should won.
I beleive there is something wrong with our thinking or culture somewhere, this isn’t just bad luck when it happens so often. this was the reason for our loss, and the biggest reason by far.

Hopefully the afl will be increasing the soft cap next year? That should allow us not only to replace burge and kingsley with quality people but also get another quality assistant hopefully..

Safe to say this hasnt improved. Apparently we worked on this on the off season, but we cant stop red time goals, not even at the end of a quarter let alone game.
I think it’s due to the oldies not being as capable as they once were and then the newbies, obviously, lacking the experience to be composed in these situations. We’re in that s**t transition stage where we’re thereabouts still but it will take another year or two for it to click in those moments just like it did (iirc) 2013-2015.

Thank you for this thread are there official stats for this as it’s been happening for years.
During games I tell the wife “watch we will cough up a goal in the last minute” and it happens week in week out. Sometimes multiple goals in a minute it’s amazing how regular.
A loss was on the cards the minute that ball took a bad bounce when we had 3 players out in front in the Essendon forwards line, then Mansel misses, Jack dribbles it straight to a Bomber you could sense the loss was going to happen.

Our last 12 games decided by under a goal we have lost 9, drawn 3, its the difference between being top 4 last year and top 8 this year or being also rans.

"Oh look, we'll learn alot from this" - Damien Harwick after the 10th loss by under a goal in the last 2 years, and the 9th loss by under a goal, the 8th loss by under a goal, the 7th, 6th, 5th.......
What would you like him to say?
"we're no good and we won't change or try and learn and get better"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like we are developing a pattern of conceding red time goals, I wonder if theres a stat for this? We are surely the worst at it.

Its stemming from the end of each quarter, you just know the opposition will score. And its always easy ones too, like whenever it close we panic or just give away an easy free or a 50 out of nowhere like today. North were in no position to score a goal but we did our best to help them.

As a result, whenever it gets tight at the end of the game or the other team has momentum, we fold. Fair enough if they were great goals, but gc one and this week were just poor efforts really. Been happening all year, even last year against wc, just no composure to ice the game. No one has any confidence.

Is this a coaching problem? Are our assistants doing their job? Why we so bad at this? Discipline? We literally did not learn anything from last week. No game awareness.

Just once I wish we could come back from 18 points down with 10 minutes to go in the final qtr and win . It just kills be to loose the way we do . Would rather loose by 10 goals . It’s funny , I knew we’d loose it when I saw we were 3 goals up . Just lived it too many times.

10 wins from 40 games decided by under a goal under Dimmas tenure. It’s been a problem for over a decade. Would have to be one of the worst records of all time for close games considering our win/loss rate over that time is 55-60%

I think it’s due to the oldies not being as capable as they once were and then the newbies, obviously, lacking the experience to be composed in these situations. We’re in that s**t transition stage where we’re thereabouts still but it will take another year or two for it to click in those moments just like it did (iirc) 2013-2015.
We had a habit of doing it even when we were good. One thing we've never been able to stop. Never been addressed.

You'd think after years and years of this s**t, we'd be better at this situation.

I know we havent won until the siren goes. We just fall apart and somehow make the dumbest of dumb decisions with and without the ball when the game is on the line.

You'd think after years and years of this s**t, we'd be better at this situation.

I know we havent won until the siren goes. We just fall apart and somehow make the dumbest of dumb decisions with and without the ball when the game is on the line.
Blame the umpires problem solved and Happy Clappers are happy again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back