WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree to a certain extent but it’s hoppers juniors is why they find themselves in this position. As mentioned above, they struggle due to their area and more clubs around them now.
They lose reserve players in their mid/late 20s to div two like everyone else, difference being , other clubs have those losses covered due to having strong juniors

Agree on that, also flying blokes in on decent coin to play games in the 1’s for “Big” games at the expense of playing kid/s who could turn out to be 100+ senior player/s is to the detriment of their club… Poor decisions puts them in the position they are in right now! I get the guy had won a league B’n’F but is it REALLY worth it? I know 1 or 2 won’t make a huge difference overall but the fish rots at the head and not the best look IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The number of new clubs in what used to be their areas has significantly reduced the quality and quantity of players coming through.

Unfortunately, they are the victim's of significant expansion in a smallish geographical area
That there are so many (more) clubs in a metropolitan area should make no difference to recruiting seniors or reserves.

All clubs have a right to recruit from wherever, whether they are newer or traditional entities.

Clubs that have recently emerged will struggle to lift as the established and financially stronger clubs pilfer their younger upcoming players. Is the argument valid that there are too many clubs within the adjoining neighbourhoods?

City of Wyndham’s population broken into: -

Hoppers Crossing 37168

Laverton 11459

Manor Lakes 16616

Point Cook 62497

Tarneit 10132

Truganina 38001

Wyndham Vale 27578

Census 2021 interactive: Melbourne and what your suburb data reveals (theage.com.au)

It has been suggested that the influx of families with no knowledge of Aussie Rules nudge their children to more familiar sports.

Many Melbourne districts have a weekly primary schools’ AFL competition round, involving both girls and boys plus players who have been raised playing different codes. Such players easily adapt to AFL. We’ve all seen it happen, especially so with soccer players.

Is there such a competition within the Wyndham neighbourhood?

You reap what you sow.

There’s a hidden message in this post.

That there are so many (more) clubs in a metropolitan area should make no difference to recruiting seniors or reserves.

All clubs have a right to recruit from wherever, whether they are newer or traditional entities.

Clubs that have recently emerged will struggle to lift as the established and financially stronger clubs pilfer their younger upcoming players. Is the argument valid that there are too many clubs within the adjoining neighbourhoods?

City of Wyndham’s population broken into: -

Hoppers Crossing 37168

Laverton 11459

Manor Lakes 16616

Point Cook 62497

Tarneit 10132

Truganina 38001

Wyndham Vale 27578

Census 2021 interactive: Melbourne and what your suburb data reveals (theage.com.au)

It has been suggested that the influx of families with no knowledge of Aussie Rules nudge their children to more familiar sports.

Many Melbourne districts have a weekly primary schools’ AFL competition round, involving both girls and boys plus players who have been raised playing different codes. Such players easily adapt to AFL. We’ve all seen it happen, especially so with soccer players.

Is there such a competition within the Wyndham neighbourhood?

You reap what you sow.

There’s a hidden message in this post.
On one side of the freeway 129k of people with 10 AFL clubs

The other side 73k with 3 clubs.

Please explain.
He gets upset that there is only 2 clubs in point cook and 450 clubs in Werribee.

There was no problem when all those clubs were thriving for 30 years, but hey, it's a problem now even though the population has improved.

As someone that lives on the wrong side of the tracks, and someone with kids, the lack of care by some clubs put into their Auskick programs and then they throw thier hands up and say it's the demographic and every other excuse.

Please explain.
Means that the two point cook sides can build there club form bottom up with little to no competition, explains why Point cook is the largest wrfl club in term of members. Which means you have more kids to develop more to offer potential sponsors, more income from canteen, bar, fund-raising

Last edited:
He gets upset that there is only 2 clubs in point cook and 450 clubs in Werribee.

There was no problem when all those clubs were thriving for 30 years, but hey, it's a problem now even though the population has improved.

As someone that lives on the wrong side of the tracks, and someone with kids, the lack of care by some clubs put into their Auskick programs and then they throw thier hands up and say it's the demographic and every other excuse.
I have no problem with 2 clubs in Point Cook, it enables the clubs to be good strong clubs. Yes I do have a problem with having 10 clubs on the other side.

I have no problem with 2 clubs in Point Cook, it enables the clubs to be good strong clubs. Yes I do have a problem with having 10 clubs on the other side.
Glen Orden, Wyndham Vale, Werribee Districts, Werribee VFL (before the AFL take over), Hoppers Crossing, Westbourne, Werribee Centrals have been around and survived for years.

There are way more people in the area than what there was back then, way more businesses.

There are also way more excuses as to why clubs aren't successful today.

Glen Orden, Wyndham Vale, Werribee Districts, Werribee VFL (before the AFL take over), Hoppers Crossing, Westbourne, Werribee Centrals have been around and survived for years.

There are way more people in the area than what there was back then, way more businesses.

There are also way more excuses as to why clubs aren't successful today.
Way more people with no interest in Football and the same in regards to the businesses.

Teams added Manor Lakes, Tarniet, and Truganina with a diminishing pool of players

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same people moving into point cook.....
There's not a diminishing pool of players. Withe the multitudes pouring into the area there is plenty of opportunity to recruit. Young migrants as well as the established indigini often play AFL / Soccer at school / weekends. The skills are interchangeable.
Q.

Way more people with no interest in Football and the same in regards to the businesses.

Teams added Manor Lakes, Tarniet, and Truganina with a diminishing pool of players

However, Australian Rules is played nationwide with multitudes of participants having non Anglo or non Celtic surnames. Is there a message here?

With the influx of new arrivals into the Wyndham area, local clubs should be awash with juniors.
Again I ask, is there a local Auzzie Rules primary school competition in the district? I don't know, and if there is, perhaps it can be enlarged. It wouldn't surprise if there are more primary schools around Werribee than most other Melbourne suburbs.

Clubs are happy to pay mercenaries; do they ever consider buying a set of guernseys for a local primary school thus enticing them into a competition? And invest in the future! Migrants are, in the main, brought up on soccer and their talents are quite adaptable to Auzzie Rules. Primary school kids often play soccer at school and Ozzy football on weekends, and vikky versa. Most will be attracted to where there are most appreciated and welcomed.

A joint league and club approach to school committees could be considered.
The WRFL has the potential to be the strongest league in the country!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, Australian Rules is played nationwide with multitudes of participants having non Anglo or non Celtic surnames. Is there a message here?

With the influx of new arrivals into the Wyndham area, local clubs should be awash with juniors.
Again I ask, is there a local Auzzie Rules primary school competition in the district? I don't know, and if there is, perhaps it can be enlarged. It wouldn't surprise if there are more primary schools around Werribee than most other Melbourne suburbs.

Clubs are happy to pay mercenaries; do they ever consider buying a set of guernseys for a local primary school thus enticing them into a competition? And invest in the future! Migrants are, in the main, brought up on soccer and their talents are quite adaptable to Auzzie Rules. Primary school kids often play soccer at school and Ozzy football on weekends, and vikky versa. Most will be attracted to where there are most appreciated and welcomed.

Exactly.

Clubs should be teaming up with AFL and local primary schools.

And too many local clubs piss up their warm leads from Auskick.

So many are poorly ran. It's the life blood, and clubs should be present and filtering kids into auskick programs.

Plenty of 3rd and 4th generation Europeans playing footy, as it was rammed down their throats. I remember local footy clubs having g clinics at my schools when I was a kid long ago!

That stuff doesn't happen anymore

Have you been to Wyndham?

Cricket grounds full summer and winter.

As for Primary schools, you do understand there is a massive shortage of male teachers in the public school system, therefore there is struggle to run any sort if football program, hence why so many draftees now come from the private school system.

There are less than half the juniors playing Aussie rules. Reality is.given the demographics a consolidation of quality is required in Wyndham for Aussie rules and really it is Cricket Victoria and Football Australia that are failing to capitalise.

Have you been to Wyndham?

Cricket grounds full summer and winter.

As for Primary schools, you do understand there is a massive shortage of male teachers in the public school system, therefore there is struggle to run any sort if football program, hence why so many draftees now come from the private school system.

There are less than half the juniors playing Aussie rules. Reality is.given the demographics a consolidation of quality is required in Wyndham for Aussie rules and really it is Cricket Victoria and Football Australia that are failing to capitalise.

Lived in werribee for 40 years.

Everyone just throw the hands up and say we cannot adapt and shut up shop!

There's more and more people going and watching AFL footy, but apparently those rises are not relevant to the biggest growth corridor in Australia.

So the top end can capture it, but the lower end can't, because those at local clubs do the same shit they were doing in 1963 as they are in 2023. Let's have a pie night.

Maybe the next Indian festival at President's Park, a footy club will be smart enough to set up some stalls and run some games and interact....

Instead of just assuming and taking the soft option

Last edited:
"AFL’s bold goal to have a footy in every home in bid to expand grassroots game"

This headline and story above appeared in the HS today, sprouting higher junior & Auskick registrations this pre-season in Victoria compared to 2019, the last pre-covid season. It talked about about tapping into specific migrant groups and have employed ex players like Majak Daw and Lin Jong.

I think the AFL needs to initiate contact and engage with schools and they would have far more influence and bigger chance of getting a foot in the door rather than the local footy club president would.

AFL Vic have operated 6 week free Auskick clinics in the West during summer with good numbers at the Laverton clinic in December. They pushed hard at the last night to get registrations for the full Auskick season coming up. They are doing similar at Altona FC now and have been at Glenoden I think, amongst others.

Sounds like the AFL are finally getting the message. Sorry couldn't add the link.

Lived in werribee for 40 years.

Everyone just throw the hands up and say we cannot adapt and shut up shop!

There's more and more people going and watching AFL footy, but apparently those rises are not relevant to the biggest growth corridor in Australia.

So the top end can capture it, but the lower end can't, because those at local clubs do the same s**t they were doing in 1963 as they are in 2023. Let's have a pie night.

Maybe the next Indian festival at President's Park, a footy club will be smart enough to set up some stalls and run some games and interact....

Instead of just assuming and taking the soft option
Don't disagree but the simple fact is the more clubs you add the thinner you are spreading those who can put in the time.

It is hard to get volunteers let alone players. Some clubs are fortunate enough to have enough people in their area to run what you are suggesting but the more clubs you add the fewer there are for each club.

Don't get me wrong AFL Victoria and the AFL is spending all its energy on creating pathways to the AFL men's and women's. Local football itself is simply a means to an end for AFL Victoria despite some well intentioned people.

When you have KPI's for local comps focused on number of teams not the quality of the teams and competition you are starting from the wrong point.

Yes we need to do alot more as a code to embrace and encourage all of our growing communities and cultures, but the resources are at the top not down at the community level where they need support.

The WRFL's Wyndham saturation push is starting to really bite back. Consolidate not expand there to ensure there is infrastructure to grow but don't forget all of those areas in the West where the demographics are changing and opportunities are being missed

Ethnicity isn't a factor
Just more other things for kids to do these days
Karate and taekwando has exploded in recent years as
Let’s be realistic. There is no doubt that it is a factor. Soccer and Cricket are absolutely thriving. For example, the WSUCCA cricket comp have 13 senior men’s divisions and the VTCA is also flying. Have a look at the names on the scorecards and you will see why. For footy to thrive and survive it really needs to target these migrant communities, I remember being a kid at a school in the west and the doggies gave out free memberships to school kids. Little things like that might spark interest.

Suggestions on how to improve participation rates among the migrant communities are pretty good however there is a major speed hump for many of these families. The fact that it is a contact sport with some fairly violent collisions is enough to discourage them from allowing their kids to play. It could take a generation or two.

Werribee aren't really complaining are they...

Minimal effort into their juniors, then have coaches try and poach every other clubs Jets kids... Zero sympathy

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back