WWE TV, Rumours and Discussion - Part VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russo wondering why Kofi didn't climb the cell to help Woods on monday

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's so good.

I still laugh at the OJ Simpson proposed match at Wrestlmania.

The father of Ron Goldman wins he gets to choose a weapon of choice.

Bloke was an idiot every good idea he had 10 absolutely stupid ones followed.

Right time, right place.

That's so good.

I still laugh at the OJ Simpson proposed match at Wrestlmania.

The father of Ron Goldman wins he gets to choose a weapon of choice.

Bloke was an idiot every good idea he had 10 absolutely stupid ones followed.

Right time, right place.
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I didnt watch raw. So I'm thinking the cell took up all the space? He meant to climb over to the door? Only way it makes a smidgen of sense but he still could of run around the monitors. His idea is still stupid but I'm happy for someone to shoot it down because its sh*tstain.

Everyone has their own taste I guess but for me the least thing I care about is promos. I want good matches , promos to me are boring. I don’t really care about someone sitting down on a chair and telling me how they have beat this person so many times not on there level etc.

I want to see good wrestling first and foremost and story telling inside the ring.

I actually prefer the over the top off the cuff promos like back in the day how they cut to the back and say Hogan was with Mean Gene most of the time they were short and sharp. Sure some of it was ramble you couldn’t understand but it was kind of fun.

I enjoy Elias when he is on the guitar singing a song , most of time I find it amusing or entertaining and I would rather see a minute of that than him cutting a promo or even wrestling a match. I’d rather see Ricochet and Black as you mentioned kicking ass in the ring having a good match than talking on a microphone.

I agree with you. I tend to think people like Bret Hart, where the in-ring story telling is what gets you involved and want to watch their matches. It gets you invested in the wrestlers themselves. The best one in the WWE for that at the moment would be Cesaro, has been for a long time.

I’m not a huge fan of the promo, especially when it becomes a 20 minute-30 minute monologue, which is just filler and crap. In saying that there has been some good promo’s in the history, such as CM Punks pipe bomb, Dusty Rhodes hard times, Steve Austin’s 3:16, ones that elevated the person’s character. Other than that they just don’t interest me, about the only 2 recent promo’s I can think of, has been Roman Reigns after beating the undertaker after wrestlemania, where the crowd just hurled abuse, before delivering just 5 words “This is my yard now.” unfortunately the perfect opport to turn him heel wasn’t capitalised on. The other was Cody Rhodes in AEW with his feud with Chris Jericho.

what often gets overlooked is a storyline build up, which rarely happens now in the WWE. They are not really matches or promos, but are more segments leading to something. Examples are : Randy Savage, flying off the top turnbuckle delivering the ringbell into Ricky Steamboat’s throat, Shawn Micheals super kicking Marty Jeanetty through the Barbershop window, The four horseman turning on Sting. More recent examples would be Rollins turning on the Sheils, Kevin Owens and Chris Jericho’s festival of friendship (my feelings was it was good, but it went on for too long, and it was highly predictable), DIY splitting up and MJF whipping Cody Rhodes with his own belt.

After rambling on as I do, why I love watching a great match, part of what makes a match great is decent storytelling in order to be truly invested in the match.

Fully agree, if you can’t cut a decent promo or don’t have a decent mouth piece then you’re no chance. Especially if you sound foreign in a product that is almost entirely aimed at Americans.

Wrestling doesn’t draw. Story and Characters draw. Always has and always will. Sure, you’ll have your minority that froth over work rate and match quality, but they certainly aren’t getting the lapsed fan back by upping the wrestling.

I agree with you on storytelling, telling a story helps build the match. It’s the performance and story telling inside the ring that makes it memorable.

You can have the best storyline ever, but if you know it’s just going to be a crappy match, your not going to be as invested in the final outcome. I don’t care about characters such as Bliss and Bray Wyatt, the matches are mostly blah, with crap thrown in such as hypnotism and projected worms on the ring. If I want to watch characters, I’d rather pay a dime to see a decent movie or go to live theatre, than watch D grade cartoon characters on a wrestling show.

I’d rather pay a dime to watch a wrestling match with a decent storyline without the gimmicks or 20 minute+ monologues of crap that doesn’t lead anywhere.

The reason that WWE is hard to watch, is because:
1. The format is old and very rarely changes.
2. They focus too much on cheesy Characters and gimmicks and not enough on the wrestlers being themselves.
3. Overlong pointless promo’s that you just lose interest.
4. The same formula and breakdown of matches, where basically everyone has 5 moves of doom or less. So there is no innovation or improvisatio.
5. Less focus of in ring storytelling and more focus on false finishes and crappy gimmicks.
Lastly there is no decent story telling, or reasons why or what they are fighting for.

mostly I disagree with your views that wrestling doesn’t draw a dime, history has shown that it does, with past champions as Bruno Sammatino, Harley Race and Ric Flair. With decent story telling, you have matches that used to draw a dime such as the Freebirds vs the Von Erichs, Midnight Express vs the Rock’n’roll express and Steve Austin vs Vince McMahon. You also had matches that didn’t have a story behind them that would sell out, such as Dynamite Kid vs Tigermask, Bret Hart vs The British Bulldog at Summerslam 92 and more recently Kenny Omega vs Okada.

i personally think that the reason that WWE is losing viewers is that it tries too hard to be entertainment (which it clearly isn’t) where it has too many cartoon characters and gimmicks, while trying to get away from the actual wrestling perspective it once had. Which to my mind Is that characters, promo work and gimmicks don’t draw a dime, where storyline and wrestling does.

What worked with many of those guys was their wrestling character was an extension of their personalities. From all accounts Randy Savage was a legit psycho (for example https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/macho-man-randy-savage-waffle-house-incident/) so it made it easy to believe it. You could believe Hogan was a bigger than life superhero, Stone Cold was a tough, working man, the Rock was a smart-ass because there was an element of that in their real life personalities.

I'd argue too that Savage and Austin (pre his neck injury) were top notch workers as well.

you said it for me about most people on that list, it did feel like an exaggeration of their actual personalities. Especially with Stone Cold and the Rock.

Savage was an exceptional worker, Austin pre neck injury and the undertaker were quite decent as well. Hogan and the Rock knew how to manipulate a crowd, which helped get them over, and along with Cena, were solid in the ring and with decent opponents could have good matches as well.

Russo wondering why Kofi didn't climb the cell to help Woods on monday

I'm just imagining how it would play out. Russo tells Kofi to do a boom drop on top of the cell, making the centre part of the roof break and then falls on Lashley's head.

Obviously the 80's and early 90's majority of them were characters and it was over the top but I enjoy it even if majority of the matches were s**t compared to these days. You can see the gradual change in it when you go back and watch a bit you know you had the likes of Honkey Tonk, Million Dollar Man, Duke The Dumpster, Red Rooster, Repo Man, Demolition, Headshrinkers, Rockers, Taker, Kama, Yokozuna, Bossman, never ending list but even the guys like Bret Hart , Shaun Michaels and Steve Austin who were more reality based rather than a character still had the nickname /persona like The Hitman and Excellence of Exercution, HBK, Stone Cold still had that edge of character.

Once the NWO started exploding thats when it went from characters to real life/ reality based and its just evolved ever since. It annoys me when they call Cesaro the swiss cyborg , to me nothing about him resembles swiss or cyborg in the way he is portrayed either go all in on that aspect or let him elvolve and show another side of the character. KO, Big E, Rollins, Daniel Bryan, Dolph, Drew etc and you can even say on AEW Cody, Omega, Cage, Sammy and so on , what makes these guys any different than just being great in the ring. Its why I really have enjoyed Crews Nigerian stick even though a lot of people were shitting on it because its different, a throwback and a bit over the top I love it.

Cesaro as champion over who?

Reigns? Seriously absolutely not.

I would prefer Apollo/SN/SZ/Owens be champion * give me Jey Uso.

Cesaro is boring works well terrible on the mic and brings nothing to any feud, The only thing I haven't wanted to watch on Smackdown is the Rollins and Cesaro matches and segments.

Is what a lot of people are wondering. The entrance was one of the main things that made him seem like someone. First thing they do away from NXT? Take it away of course. :rolleyes:
Odd decision. He looks very bland as it is to me. The girl was a nice distraction from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just imagining how it would play out. Russo tells Kofi to do a boom drop on top of the cell, making the centre part of the roof break and then falls on Lashley's head.
Bro I'm telling you bro lashleys beating Xavier up in middle of the cell bro. What you need to do climb to the top and do the boom drop on top the cell bro. Roof takes out lashley and you and Xavier run off bro.

Yep sounds like a Russo comment.

Bro I'm telling you bro lashleys beating Xavier up in middle of the cell bro. What you need to do climb to the top and do the boom drop on top the cell bro. Roof takes out lashley and you and Xavier run off bro.

Yep sounds like a Russo comment.

bro, I'm tawkin' about wrest-a-ling bro.

Ever-Rise, Breezango, The Singh Brothers, Killian Dain, Tony Nese, Ariya Daivari, Curt Stallion and August Grey released.

Hope they all do well.

is it too much to hope for that HHH, Shane MacMahon, Stephane McMahon, Vince MacMahon and the entire creative team gets released or future endeavoursEd soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back