Your go-to TV comedies

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm - I never get tired of it and will always end up belly laughing for the whole half hour. Palestinian Chicken is hands down the best episode of comedy TV ever made.

2. The Office (UK) - Absolutely brilliant show that was instantly relatable to anyone who has worked a crappy job in an office.

3. Always Sunny In Philadelphia - The manic energy always makes me smile, even in some of the not so great episodes. The quality has dropped somewhat over the years, but there are still some all time classics in later seasons.

4. Veep - I've lost count if the number of times I've rewatched this. Some of the insults that get thrown around are the most brutal lines of TV ever aired.

5. Fleabag - Season 2 moreso than Season 1, but this is such a great show. It's hilarious, but the underlying sadness keeps it really grounded.

Arrested Development. Easily the best comedy written. Layers of jokes upon jokes and gets funnier with every watch.

Fawlty Towers and Seinfeld would round out my top 3.
Arrested Development was definitely up there for me in the in-between years, but the terrible new seasons really soured my enjoyment of the original three.

Another one that would've been in my regular rewatches (but isn't for very different reasons) is Louie.

Arrested Development was definitely up there for me in the in-between years, but the terrible new seasons really soured my enjoyment of the original three.
Season 4 (the first after the re-boot) was good, but season 5 was very average.

The first 3 seasons though were brilliant, top shelf for me.
Another one that would've been in my regular rewatches (but isn't for very different reasons) is Louie.
Agree. One of the most under rated shows ever made. Bloke is a genius.

Season 4 (the first after the re-boot) was good, but season 5 was very average.

The first 3 seasons though were brilliant, top shelf for me.

Agree. One of the most under rated shows ever made. Bloke is a genius.
Yeah, season 4 had its moments, but it's still a massive step down from the first 3. I just don't understand how they got it so wrong when they came back. I know they had scheduling issues to work around, but it never quite worked.

And totally agree about Louie being underrated. It was so surreal at times, but at other times so intensely real. And no matter what, it was bloody funny.

• Cheers
  • The Office (UK)
  • Summer Heights High
  • Eastbound and Down
  • Family Guy
  • Everybody Loves Raymond
  • Mr Bean
  • The Wonder Years
  • The Inbetweeners
  • Newhart
Obviously there's others like Seinfeld etc that I also like, but if I'm scrolling Foxtel and I see any of these on, I will change the channel over.

If I could name 5 that I'll just watch any episode or binge every episode for the rest of my life probably in no order
Seinfeld
Everybody loves Raymond
King of Queens
Parks and recreation
Friday night dinner

* Having now binged The Office (US) I'd probably squeeze it in my top 5 and take Friday Night Dinner out.

Last edited:
I never want to re-watch comedies much, but as for favourites, ones that jump to mind are

Larry Sanders
30 Rock
Ideal
Wilfred (Oz version)
Motherland
Catastrophe

I admire, rather than love, the US series: Seinfeld, Curb, Frasier, etc.

UK TV comedies

Fawlty Towers
Peep Show
Blackadder
Bottom
The Office
Extras
The Mighty Boosh
The League of Gentlemen

US TV comedies

Seinfeld
Cheers
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Diff'rent Strokes
Family Ties

Australian TV comedies

The Adventures of Lano and Woodley
Kath and Kim
Prisoner
Wilfred

New Zealand TV comedies

Flight of the Conchords
Shortland Street
Prisoner as comedy

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inspired by the go-to movies thread.

What are your top tier, tried and true TV comedies? The ones you keep returning to over the years, and were there for you through the good times and the bad?

My top 5 is:

Seinfeld
Peep Show
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Brooklyn 99
Bojack Horseman

May have cooked Seinfeld for life sadly, with easily 10+ full watch throughs. The others still have a little bit of juice in them.

What makes your TV comedy hall of fame?
Larry got too much for me after a while but up to season 8 pretty good!
Seinfeld too, you can have enough after several years very clever, I don't get the horse thing?
99 is just watch a few minutes then go. Peep Show, genius!

I like some older comedy, I watched some old Two Ronnie's skits and talk about laugh out loud, no mistakes just perfect. But hilarious,
Ricky Gervais is top quality . Basil Fawlty is always great can watch Cleese do that over and over.

On some channels you can get some good stand-up, but there are some that are shitty, and in lots of
female stand up, they get somewhat too vulgar and I don't mind a dirty filthy joke, but it just feels put on because being filthy replaces shock treatment and poses it as comedy.

But there are some rippers, Kitty Flanagan is a ripper , filthy but very clever.

So's Judith Lucy. The Poms and Irish Scots and Welsh are the funniest people in the world.
Thats what I look for online, the FTA stations have lost the plot totally with wokery.

Paul Hogan would last about as long on Free TV now as Dermie would last playing footy now days
rubbed out every 5 minutes.
Rowan Atkinson genius, All the Blackadder stuff, IT crowd , great , Toast of London kills me.
And of course Alan Partridge, Steve Coogan is another of those brilliant minded professional people and his professional dickhead Partridge is a classic.

Fleabag is a good shout, I reckon I'll go back to it at some stage.

Also fits with my theory that the truly exceptional comedies tend to be British because they have one creator driving everything. They only last a season or two but they tend to be truly original in a way that writers' room comedies aren't.

Seinfeld is the US exception that fits that sole creator model. Well, him and Larry David.

I like some older comedy, I watched some old Two Ronnie's skits and talk about laugh out loud

As a kid I used to laugh at the Two Ronnies but don't find it as funny these days. My Dad was a big fan of Ronnie Barker but I never used to like 'Open All Hours' or 'Porridge'.

Now I find them both hilarious. They don't make em like Barker any more.

These days I tend to like 'dramedies' more than (supposedly) comedies. Shows like 'Catastrophy' written by - and starring - the brilliant Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney. 'There She Goes' is another one I love. Who woulda thought shows about unexpected pregnancy or having a a disabled child could be so funny (and, at times, so moving).

Fleabag is a good shout, I reckon I'll go back to it at some stage.
Fleabag is one of the best things I have ever seen. I been through it twice, take a bit of time and do it again.
The actress in it, wrote it all the 2x8-episode seasons and then decided that was all.

Hell I can't even remember her name, I will.
She is beautiful and hilarious she can write and crikey she can act, the whole show was a gem.

I was thinking she may go again, but I think it had got to where she had no more to say, and her affair with the Priest , I doubt if that was over. I 'd hope it saved her, I think it did.

So in Fleabag her character was breathtaking, and the supreme acting of all concerned , clever intelligent , her sister !!! wow , the way she intertwined the dreadful guilt she felt for her friend, in the Guinea Pig shop. Its a one off classic.
Then the getaway for men and women and the loans bloke, what a really brilliant bit of scripting and writing.

Struth I might watch it again!!!
Oh and the sneaky little looks at the camera (you and me) was genius too. I've seen it before she perfected it. The Priest twigged. The only one hah .

Fleabag is one of the best things I have ever seen. I been through it twice, take a bit of time and do it again.
The actress in it, wrote it all the 2x8-episode seasons and then decided that was all.

Hell I can't even remember her name, I will.
She is beautiful and hilarious she can write and crikey she can act, the whole show was a gem.

I was thinking she may go again, but I think it had got to where she had no more to say, and her affair with the Priest , I doubt if that was over. I 'd hope it saved her, I think it did.

So in Fleabag her character was breathtaking, and the supreme acting of all concerned , clever intelligent , her sister !!! wow , the way she intertwined the dreadful guilt she felt for her friend, in the Guinea Pig shop. Its a one off classic.
Then the getaway for men and women and the loans bloke, what a really brilliant bit of scripting and writing.

Struth I might watch it again!!!
Oh and the sneaky little looks at the camera (you and me) was genius too. I've seen it before she perfected it. The Priest twigged. The only one hah .
Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Also wrote Killing Eve.

Currently re-watching Dad's Army - by gosh, it's clever. Laugh-aloud humour. I think i appreciate it much more this time around.

For humour that makes you cringe, you can't beat

The Worst Week of My Life (2 series)
Nighty Night

Anyone else watch Frayed? Absolutely hilarious. Sadly, I don't think there's going to be another series :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back