Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think in terms of picks he'd have to be worth a very high draft pick on its own. Something around 4 or 5.

If it's a middle of the road side it's probably 2 firsts with an early 2nd coming back.

If it's a top team it's two firsts IMO

I don't think the suggestions floated for two 1st round picks are for 17 & 18 though. 1 pick between 5-10 with potential later pick exchanges is where I see it. I think we clearly rate his value differently.

Can’t see anyone offering enough for us to move him. Especially considering picks are devalued this year with lack of scouting.
Is there any point of keeping players on the club who don't want to be there though?

I mean you kept Daniher and Fantasia around after they desperately wanted out last year and you are going to lose both this off season any way at probably a lower price than what you would have gotten last year

It seems you have quite a list of players who want out (of course this could be media bullshit) so it might be better to just clear the decks and move on anyone who isn't fully committed

Of course that doesn't mean just giving players away for nothing. But Dodoro might have to start being realistic with his valuation of the Essendon players

I think Hawthorn's pick 4 is exactly on the money.
Given this years draft, Pick 4 is worth a lot less than it normally would be.

We're also talking a player yet to enter his peak years, already has 2x BnFs, an AA cap, and was/should be VC.

Pick 4 & 2021 1st and we flick a 3rd back.
I'd normally say a 2nd, but the 1st this year doesn't hold the same weight it normally would.

Given this years draft, Pick 4 is worth a lot less than it normally would be.

We're also talking a player yet to enter his peak years, already has 2x BnFs, an AA cap, and was/should be VC.

Pick 4 & 2021 1st and we flick a 3rd back.
I'd normally say a 2nd, but the 1st this year doesn't hold the same weight it normally would.
is that you Adrian?

Is there any point of keeping players on the club who don't want to be there though?

I mean you kept Daniher and Fantasia around after they desperately wanted out last year and you are going to lose both this off season any way at probably a lower price than what you would have gotten last year

It seems you have quite a list of players who want out (of course this could be media bullshit) so it might be better to just clear the decks and move on anyone who isn't fully committed

Of course that doesn't mean just giving players away for nothing. But Dodoro might have to start being realistic with his valuation of the Essendon players

I'm all for trading out players who don't want to be there I'm just not sure Merrett is in that position. Fantasia was always open to staying last year and was definitely not "desperately" wanting out.

No way Zac is worth pick 4 but if he is unhappy and you could get a decent player swap you would have to look at it
jack viney would be handy and would reunite Zac with goody and hibs

i'd do 2 first for merret in a heartbeat, literally exactly what carlton need to help cripps.
i would take it in a heartbeat
seriously he isn’t worth it
your first and second getting our third back is closer to the mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 firsts with a second going back is about right I think. We will be bottom 2-3 next year and Carlton should be near the 8 so it could be something like Pick 7 this year and pick 12 next year for a pick around 20 next year
You won’t get two first for him. Teams will just wait till next year.

I’d rather Merrett than Cripps everyday of the week.
there's a whole thread on this if you dig it up :p

You won’t get two first for him. Teams will just wait till next year.
often times they don't so as to not risk losing said player.
Blues, Dons and Hawks didn't wait to pursue Shiel. Despite the cost.

why is two firsts not out of the question?
Too high of a price to pay the only team that would do it is Geelong because they have 4 first rounders not to mention people don’t want to deal with dodoro. Rather wait a year and see if Essendon match an offer. But if Essendon finish low they’d get a second low pick and likely wouldn’t match it.

there's a whole thread on this if you dig it up :p

often times they don't so as to not risk losing said player.
Blues, Dons and Hawks didn't wait to pursue Shiel. Despite the cost.
Shiel deal nearly fell through teams don’t want to deal with Essendon while dodoro’s in charge because he strings it along to the last day teams want to do work quickly.teams are also learning to be patient and wait.

Bont is two firsts.

Cripps is two firsts.

Fyfe is two firsts.

Merret is a level down from them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That being said, if Leaver can get you two firsts, Gibbs can get two firsts and Shiel can get two firsts, let me tell you Merrett can get two firsts every day of the week.
A player is worth whatever someone is willing to give, what we value them as is irrelevant.
Also... Merrett may not be as "good" or as celebrated as the players you mentioned but if he can be the POD for a club and make difference to "them" in relation to their own success then that's really all that counts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back