Toast Zak Butters - Stepping out of the shadows

Remove this Banner Ad

i don't know what to say that hasn't been said already. "he looks like a Port player" is true to me and one of the best compliments you can give a footballer, that says it all for me!

Did Bailey Smith do anything last night? Butters would be right up there in our bnf count
He shirked the contest twice on the outer wing in front of me.

Apparently he has had a few concussion issues though so maybe mitigating circumstances.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Rozee, Walsh, Smith, Butters, King, King, Rankine, Lukosius, Blakey, Thomas, Duursma. 2018 draft was ridiculously good in hindsight.

Imagine having two top 20 picks and using them on Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry lol
Hahahahaha

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is the shoulder strapping a concern or just something he grew up doing?
had shoulder surgery before we drafted him. Would just be precautionary.
Did Bailey Smith do anything last night? Butters would be right up there in our bnf count
smith, who is a great young prospect, was absolute s**t last night. The worst game ive seen him play
Rozee, Walsh, Smith, Butters, King, King, Rankine, Lukosius, Blakey, Thomas, Duursma. 2018 draft was ridiculously good in hindsight.

Imagine having two top 20 picks and using them on Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry lol
We got woodcock and Grundy with late picks as well. woodcock looked better than Jones and McHenry last night lol.

Absolute breakout game last night.
So clean, so calm, so composed.
He makes the right decision every time.
Zak really is Robbie’s rightful heir.
Reminds me of Bucky Cunningham the way he zips around.
But every time he dishes off I fully expect him to belt someone.
Because #18.
Now we just need to find him some hobbies away from the club.
Collecting OG Star Wars toys is pretty good, Zak...

Last edited:

Was it Jonno Brown who ranked Jones ahead of Butters in his revisited 2018 draft top 10?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much for stepping out of the shadows, Zak is casting shadows now! Should be getting even more media attention.

Forget those 35 stat accumulators who have no impact on a game, Zak can cut a game to ribbons with half as many touches. His level of skill, anticipation and execution is nearly ridiculous.

That he is getting more involved in games is a bonus!

I read somewhere a while ago, maybe on here, that in one of his initial interviews with the club he said that he never wanted to be a player that got called out for not going when it was their turn. He lives that in every game.

Is the shoulder strapping a concern or just something he grew up doing?

Weak shoulders unfortunately. Had bilateral surgery in the off-season. Had a clean up in his first pre-season too. Fingers crossed we've fixed it up.

5. Trusting the draft process has its rewards
Only one of Port Adelaide's trio of 2018 first-round draftees graced Adelaide Oval on Saturday. Connor Rozee is nursing a heel injury, while Xavier Duursma was dropped this week as he experiences the first lean run of his AFL career. However, the remaining crew member, Zak Butters, made sure he represented them. The 19-year-old should feature prominently in the Power's club champion award, and stamped himself late against Hawthorn with a classy move. Ruckman Scott Lycett delivered a deft tap, but Butters' ability to burst through the stoppage, collect the Sherrin and kick the match-sealing goal was another reminder of his ability. It was Butters' seventh score involvement. As coach Ken Hinkley said post-match: "We're really glad he's with our footy club." The draft might not solve all problems, but it's been a major factor in Port's stunning rise to the top of the ladder. The path to success can be as straightforward as identifying and selecting the best teenage talent, especially if you can bolster your draft hand, like the Power have the past two years. - Marc McGowan

https://www.afl.com.au/news/488909/eight-things-we-learned-the-demons-sucked-us-in-again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back