Toast Zak Butters - Stepping out of the shadows

Remove this Banner Ad

The last season our three first draft choices were rightly lauded. Rozee and Duursma drew the most attention and were big contributors to our season.

This year Zak Butters has started to really shine, with his freakish skills and vision, fearlessness and athletic ability.

He is getting recognition as this year's sparkplug. Well done Zak and keep bringing your special brand of football.

Absolute BEAST! Needs another brother or two who the oppo just want to punch in the face!

In that Carr/Hardwick/Monfries mould, love their courage and ability, but just always nagging, niggling, pests.
I wish Joe Atley had ‘this’ trait, could be a huge inclusion into a midfield lacking pace. Imagine a Quicker, slightly less skilled version of Josh Carr to replace Tom Rockliff...

I will put my hand up - of the Rozee Duursma Butters trio I had doubts that Butters would make it - saw him as undersized and with an output that did not match the energy - just a better Jake Neade. Oh lord have mercy on me and forgive me for I was blind but now I see! What a relevation Zak has been this season - hardness, creativity, pace and energy, and he just does not waste the ball. And to see him sing the victory song - unbridled joy and enthusiasm. He might become the most influential of what is a very fine triumvirate

Throughout last night's game against Brisbane, Butters was the player I wanted to see with ball in hand. Great decision maker and excellent user of the footy. Someone in another thread questioned his "hospital kicks", but I don't see them like that. They look exceptionally well weighted to me. He draws other teammates to move into the right spaces to receive the ball. He is also a fierce tackler - so much more effective than the bigger bodies of Boak, Wines, SPP and Rockliff in this area - and a tiger at the ground level contest.

Much love for Zachary.

Smartest player on our list alongside Robbie. Sums things up in an instant and always makes the right decisions. Skill, tenacity, attitude all on point. We are so lucky to have this guy as an instant replacement for everything Robbie has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things look like they are going in slow motion for him in traffic, just an incredibly quick footy brain and skills to match. You saw glimpses of the sublime with him last year but this year he's really imposing himself on games as well. Combine that with his intensity around the contest and we've got a special player on our hands. Could be literally anything if he continues along his trajectory.

The constant among the 3 from that draft is their reading of the play. Always in the right place at the right time and then brilliant vision. They link up with their teammates so well, bringing other players into the game. You can't teach that and they're all at the elite level.

He's by far the most physically imposing 170cm player in the competition.

Probably been our 2nd best player this year now. Remarkable

Funny how things turn, Butters had a great first year that was somewhat shadowed by Duursma's and Rozee's first year. Now Duursma is out injured, Rozee is having the second year blues and Butters is the shining light.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back