Priority Pick And Other Assistance

Remove this Banner Ad

We havent played finals in 10 years and have had 1 PP in that time. We've lost the equivalent points of a top pick from first round picks leaving to head back home and have the least amount of first round picks on our list. I think we should qualify.

I would argue the points difference from talent lost as a good starting point. They came up with this fancy points value, hard to argue the value of draft picks lost using their own system.
We played finals in 2009

It will be interesting down here in Vic when Aish leaves (which I think will happen but hey could be wrong) to hear and see their reactions. If they laugh like the previous years and say what a rabble of a team, it leaves the door open for a PP. I am tipping that they will start with that reaction but quickly tack on the end that we still don't deserve a PP.

It will be interesting down here in Vic when Aish leaves (which I think will happen but hey could be wrong) to hear and see their reactions. If they laugh like the previous years and say what a rabble of a team, it leaves the door open for a PP. I am tipping that they will start with that reaction but quickly tack on the end that we still don't deserve a PP.
Daft q: when would it be awarded (big if, of course)? Before or after the trade period...?

There is article last year on the AFL website on the 23rd September which states that the commission has knocked back the demons. Which was in the week leading up to the Grand Final.

Just posted the following on the AFL board priority pick thread:

Sick of people making anecdotal / misinformed comparisons. So I decided to do a comparisons of performance across the competition from 2005 to 2015 in the table attached below.

Yep I chose 2005 because that is the year the Lions decade-plus of woes started, but if you are really that interested feel free to cut the stats anyway you like. By the way if you just do the last 6 years instead of the last 11, the Lions are even closer to Melbourne in terms of poor performance.

158169_7d7aa9421cdf74121ca75694f667365d.jpg

The ladder position is from the end of the home and away season each year (end of the year after the finals would have been better, but it is not easy to get quickly). The average is the average ladder position over the last 11 years (2015 is obviously just up to the end of round 18).

Hopefully the rest are obvious. I tried to work out the priority picks from the old Big Footy thread and Footywire - hopefully they are reasonably accurate, but let me know if you think I have got it wrong (especially if any were traded away from their original Club, like I think happened in 2011). I started the priority pick count from the 2004 draft given that was used for the 2005 season.

Obviously on-field performance shouldn't be the only thing to be compared. If I had the time / info I would love to compare financial performance of the different clubs over the same period (I know Brisbane's cumulative losses must be close to the $10m mark); perhaps top 10 draft picks; net young players that have left to go to other clubs; net experienced players that have gone to other clubs; AFL distributions; membership; Friday night games; FTA TV games in the big footy markets; etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear that Melbourne and Brisbane are the worst performing clubs over the last decade or so (GWS and GC are obviously special cases). In that time Melbourne have received 2 start of 1st round priority picks to our none. They also probably would have got another one if it weren't for their tanking saga. The next worst performing club behind the Lions is Carlton - they have also had 2 start of 1st round priority picks.

Don't get me wrong - previous Lions administrations share probably about half of the blame for what has happened since our golden years. But wouldn't the same be said for all clubs - including ones that received previous priority picks (including the Hawks by the way, who got 2 by playing the kids when Clarkson first came in).

And a priority pick won't fix our problems - it is clear our underlying problem is that any club in a non-football state will struggle immensely without significant ongoing concessions. In recent times the Lions have been the only club in the non-footy states to have no real concessions (beyond being saved from bankruptcy).

What has resulted is a downward spiral on-field, the Club losing all of its money and going significantly into debt - with only the backing of the AFL saving us from being bankrupt. Not to mention having the worst training facilities in the League.

It doesn't matter to me whether other club supporters care or not about this predicament - all that matters is how to fix it going forward. Troll all you like, but deep down most people know there is an extremely good case for the AFL to help the Lions. A priority pick unfortunately would be no panacea - it won't be an ongoing fix, but it will help to start to build some confidence in the Club.

Just posted the following on the AFL board priority pick thread:

Sick of people making anecdotal / misinformed comparisons. So I decided to do a comparisons of performance across the competition from 2005 to 2015 in the table attached below.

Yep I chose 2005 because that is the year the Lions decade-plus of woes started, but if you are really that interested feel free to cut the stats anyway you like. By the way if you just do the last 6 years instead of the last 11, the Lions are even closer to Melbourne in terms of poor performance.

158169_7d7aa9421cdf74121ca75694f667365d.jpg

The ladder position is from the end of the home and away season each year (end of the year after the finals would have been better, but it is not easy to get quickly). The average is the average ladder position over the last 11 years (2015 is obviously just up to the end of round 18).

Hopefully the rest are obvious. I tried to work out the priority picks from the old Big Footy thread and Footywire - hopefully they are reasonably accurate, but let me know if you think I have got it wrong (especially if any were traded away from their original Club, like I think happened in 2011). I started the priority pick count from the 2004 draft given that was used for the 2005 season.

Obviously on-field performance shouldn't be the only thing to be compared. If I had the time / info I would love to compare financial performance of the different clubs over the same period (I know Brisbane's cumulative losses must be close to the $10m mark); perhaps top 10 draft picks; net young players that have left to go to other clubs; net experienced players that have gone to other clubs; AFL distributions; membership; Friday night games; FTA TV games in the big footy markets; etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear that Melbourne and Brisbane are the worst performing clubs over the last decade or so (GWS and GC are obviously special cases). In that time Melbourne have received 2 start of 1st round priority picks to our none. They also probably would have got another one if it weren't for their tanking saga. The next worst performing club behind the Lions is Carlton - they have also had 2 start of 1st round priority picks.

Don't get me wrong - previous Lions administrations share probably about half of the blame for what has happened since our golden years. But wouldn't the same be said for all clubs - including ones that received previous priority picks (including the Hawks by the way, who got 2 by playing the kids when Clarkson first came in).

And a priority pick won't fix our problems - it is clear our underlying problem is that any club in a non-football state will struggle immensely without significant ongoing concessions. In recent times the Lions have been the only club in the non-footy states to have no real concessions (beyond being saved from bankruptcy).

What has resulted is a downward spiral on-field, the Club losing all of its money and going significantly into debt - with only the backing of the AFL saving us from being bankrupt. Not to mention having the worst training facilities in the League.

It doesn't matter to me whether other club supporters care or not about this predicament - all that matters is how to fix it going forward. Troll all you like, but deep down most people know there is an extremely good case for the AFL to help the Lions. A priority pick unfortunately would be no panacea - it won't be an ongoing fix, but it will help to start to build some confidence in the Club.

Great Post!

I did some similar analysis the other day. Had some fun with it an made it into one giant ladder with the wins/losses etc from the same ten year period (excluding last weeks results)

It obviously makes for similar reading with Melbourne bringing up the rear (excluding the expansion teams).

I have nothing further to add as your post pretty much sums up everything I would have said so thanks for saving me the time :)

Ladder_Analysis.jpg

The most frustrating aspect of that is that he's wrong. Clubs got an end of round one priority pick for just one year with less than five wins. West Coast Eagles used their's to draft Jack Darling just 4 years after winning the premiership (and not that long after getting Judd as a PP).

Cant remember Eddie ever answering a Collingwood related question as an 'independent commentator'.

Actually quite disappointed in Matthews' fence sitting on this.

Bugger his independent commentator's hat.

His first duty as a Board Member of the club should be to his club. He should tow the Company line on this and state all the valid reasons why we should get a PP.

"We haven't been bad enough for long enough" is simply echoing a catchphrase that's already been trotted out by other naysayers in the media.

Never mind that PP's have been handed out in the past for arguably far less worthy causes and in one case to a club that was fined for NOT tanking.

I couldn't imagine in my wildest fantasies, the likes of McChins wearing his "independent commentator" hat to say anything at all that would disadvantage his Magpies if they were lobbying for some kind of perk or handout from the System.

Leigh once had a significant hand in the expulsion of a Brownlow medalist and triple Premiership player from the Lions on the basis of that player wearing his media hat to the detriment of his Brisbane Lions hat. I heard Leigh on a local Brisbane radio station a few years ago saying that he always considered this player to have been employed as a "consultant" in the great triple premiership sides, rather than being a true team player.

Seems Leigh is viewing his role as Board member of the Lions in a similar vein.

Oh sure, I'm a Lions man but ask Me for an opinion an I"ll tell you what I really think.

As BB said earlier, whatever chance we had of actually getting any sort of PP this coming Draft Period has totally evaporated.

Last edited:
The most frustrating aspect of that is that he's wrong. Clubs got an end of round one priority pick for just one year with less than five wins. West Coast Eagles used their's to draft Jack Darling just 4 years after winning the premiership (and not that long after getting Judd as a PP).

They were obviously a lot more "deserving" than we are,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crazy thing I hadn't realised that that 10 year ladder shows is that only (and almost every single) Victorian club has received a first round priority pick. Not surprising why they were introduced and removed so quickly!

Lethal is right that we haven't been bad enough for long enough. That said if we take into account the continual lose of first round picks on the cheap surely that gives us a leg to stand on when asking for a PP

For a start of round one maybe but under the old system we already qualify for an end of first round pick!

Actually quite disappointed in Matthews' fence sitting on this.

Bugger his independent commentator's hat.

His first duty as a Board Member of the club should be to his club. He should tow the Company line on this and state all the valid reasons why we should get a PP.

"We haven't been bad enough for long enough" is simply echoing a catchphrase that's already been trotted out by other naysayers in the media.

Never mind that PP's have been handed out in the past for arguably far less worthy causes and in one case to a club that was fined for NOT tanking.

I couldn't imagine in my wildest fantasies, the likes of McChins wearing his "independent commentator" hat to say anything at all that would disadvantage his Magpies if they were lobbying for some kind of perk or handout from the System.

Leigh once had a significant hand in the expulsion of a Brownlow medalist and triple Premiership player from the Lions on the basis of that player wearing his media hat to the detriment of his Brisbane Lions hat. I heard Leigh on a local Brisbane radio station a few years ago saying that he always considered this player to have been employed as a "consultant" in the great triple premiership sides, rather than being a true team player.

Seems Leigh is viewing his role as Board member of the Lions in a similar vein.

Oh sure, I'm a Lions man but ask Me for an opinion an I"ll tell you what I really think.

As BB said earlier, whatever chance we had of actually getting any sort of PP this coming Draft Period has totally evaporated.
Depends what is more important to him his Media work or as our club Director.
Sadly looking like the media.
He could use his voice to stick up for us sometimes. Reckon Leppa needs support at the moment.

Leigh didn't even try to explain why we need a PP... instead he went on and one about why we don't need one....
Leigh knows he needs to protect his media job but geez.... doesn't look like he has invested as much into the Lions.
Don't be so sure about that. He is a smart cookie. Theres method in his madness.

Don't be so sure about that. He is a smart cookie. Theres method in his madness.

I don't think so. Remember him saying Brisbane would 'maybe never' win another premiership? I just think he's not interested in worrying about the PR fallout from his comments.

Which is fine, but we probably need to think about whether it's appropriate for him to stay on the board long term.

Strange method.

Tell everyone why we don't need a PP.

That'll work
maybe hes a reverse jedi

Gil: you don't need a priority pick

Leigh: of course we don't there's not need to give us one, in fact i demand that you don't.

Gil: you don't tell me what to do Leigh Matthews, you'll get a priority pick and you'll like it.

maybe hes a reverse jedi

Gil: you don't need a priority pick

Leigh: of course we don't there's not need to give us one, in fact i demand that you don't.

Gil: you don't tell me what to do Leigh Matthews, you'll get a priority pick and you'll like it.

I've a mental image of Leigh saying duck season and Gil saying rabbit season.

We played finals in 2009

Sorry, typo. Meant to say finals once and only 1 PP in 10 years. What happens when you try type out a post whilst watching the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back