WA By-election

Remove this Banner Ad

If they treated addiction as a health problem, not a criminal one it would go along way to sorting this. But it would mean spending money, although locking people isn't cheap, and a photo op with a pale, lank haired addict isn't of much appeal to the average MP

Well maybe not. It would mean spending less on police & other paramilitary groups. Then they could help with the health issues without so much of an overall budgetary effect.

The key issues are decriminalisation & education. It would be less attractive to the crims & less cause of corruption in the police etc.

The Feds & conservatives are too dumb to realise this.

Its a bit like free needle exchange & condoms, some are too stupid to realise the overall community health benefits, thus the economic benefits.

I guess thats what you get with ultra conservative thinking & religious nuttery being combined. It seems to them that its better to arm the police & drop bombs than bother with strategic thinking.

I'm not sure of the solution but we clearly have a problem attracting good candidates.

My thoughts would be putting an experience requirement of 15-20 years work in the real world. This would prevent professional politicians fearing losing their seat as they already have wealth and a place to return to.

I feel that is why our current crop put their own careers ahead of the nations interests.
That would mean that some currently there wouldn't be there including the PM.
Would certainly save time and money when voting.

Well maybe not. It would mean spending less on police & other paramilitary groups. Then they could help with the health issues without so much of an overall budgetary effect.

The key issues are decriminalisation & education. It would be less attractive to the crims & less cause of corruption in the police etc.

The Feds & conservatives are too dumb to realise this.

Its a bit like free needle exchange & condoms, some are too stupid to realise the overall community health benefits, thus the economic benefits.

I guess thats what you get with ultra conservative thinking & religious nuttery being combined. It seems to them that its better to arm the police & drop bombs than bother with strategic thinking.

I wouldn't mind seeing a balance between rights and responsibilities.

One should be able to take drugs if they want to.

however there should be responsibilities attached including conditions on medicare, conditions on welfare payments, conditions on getting behind the wheel and conditions on law enforcement for breaches associated with drugs (ie assault whilst on drugs should be a higher penalty). The conditions are grey areas better assessed by health professionals.

basically providing people the right to live their lives but providing the framework to enshrine responsibilities.

I would also have an "pull out" of society option that provides addicts with a smorgasbord of free drugs. This should be out of our cities and allow addicts to chose their own destiny.

That would mean that some currently there wouldn't be there including the PM.
Would certainly save time and money when voting.

and that's a bad thing?

Abbott has to go

oh and he will but not without a fight. I know he's going but I don't know who is coming in or when. stay tuned.

my tip......6-8 months from the election ad either turnbull or morrison.

I wouldn't mind seeing a balance between rights and responsibilities.

One should be able to take drugs if they want to.

however there should be responsibilities attached including conditions on medicare, conditions on welfare payments, conditions on getting behind the wheel and conditions on law enforcement for breaches associated with drugs (ie assault whilst on drugs should be a higher penalty). The conditions are grey areas better assessed by health professionals.

basically providing people the right to live their lives but providing the framework to enshrine responsibilities.

I would also have an "pull out" of society option that provides addicts with a smorgasbord of free drugs. This should be out of our cities and allow addicts to chose their own destiny.

The problem is societal. Social problems & poor choices lead to drug problems for many. That includes Tobacco & Alcohol. Some are more prone to take that direction than others.

Just remember that Alcohol & Cocaine are often the choice of those with money. Its NOT just a welfare issue, Its a societal issue.

We aint going to fix this with a war. We may as well have a war on infection, sunburn or car accidents. You will never rid the community of them.

Its all about harm reduction, for the individual & the community. ie Limit the cost both financial & on health. The aim needs to be social integration. making people feel they are wanted & valued, you will help reduce self harm with substance abuse.

Is a strategic & less harm approach too hard for some to see? Or do they like war, on everything?

The problem is societal. Social problems & poor choices lead to drug problems for many. That includes Tobacco & Alcohol. Some are more prone to take that direction than others.

Just remember that Alcohol & Cocaine are often the choice of those with money. Its NOT just a welfare issue, Its a societal issue.

We aint going to fix this with a war. We may as well have a war on infection, sunburn or car accidents. You will never rid the community of them.

Its all about harm reduction, for the individual & the community. ie Limit the cost both financial & on health. The aim needs to be social integration. making people feel they are wanted & valued, you will help reduce self harm with substance abuse.

Is a strategic & less harm approach too hard for some to see? Or do they like war, on everything?
Prescription drugs are a huge problem as well. If that's your cup of tea it's possible to be totally legally obliterated 24/7.

100% agree with the social aspect...........we have a real issue in the western world and managed capitalism.

in communism you have an issue with efficiency and the allocation of resources. in pure capitalism you have an issue with the centralisation of wealth. in managed capitalism you have an issue with participation, where many are locked out of society.

When people don't feel like they are a part of the society, you can create or exacerbate mental health issues. This is the difference between "healthy" drug taking (because its fun and occasional) and "unhealthy" drug taking because people are looking for escape.

the drug laws currently in place are designed for the lowest common denominator and do not effect normal people as long as you are discrete. this is evidenced by the fact you can take legal drugs and illegal drugs whenever you like as long as you are discrete. unfortunately the lowest common denominator approach only works if it follows through with a health approach AND addresses the underlying cause......which in my humble opinion is participation.

in communism you have an issue with efficiency and the allocation of resources. in pure capitalism you have an issue with the centralisation of wealth. in managed capitalism you have an issue with participation, where many are locked out of society.
Please have the self-respect to not try and push your personal political beliefs onto victims of drug addiction.

Please have the self-respect to not try and push your personal political beliefs onto victims of drug addiction.

ok

i will try and reflect your views in my future posts

are you having problems at home? it seems you have a bee in your bonnet lately.

oh and for the record......how can you be a victim of drug addiction? suffering sure but victim no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing the man like a petulant child. I guess that means I can return fire: You're just mad because I called you out for being a liar & you had no response.

1) play the man? please re-read the order above.
2) you called me a liar and that's your prerogative. I haven't seen anything yet that suggests your opinion is correct.

unless you are sticking to the fact I said I only get a cold over two or three years and another poster on here mistakenly thought that translates to I don't get sick. or the other one where I was told I had 6 years left (circa 8 years ago now) but I'm still here today. or the other one that really bugs you is I semi-retired in my late 30s (if it is any consolation I got lucky with a mining boom).

but hey, whatever floats your boat

ok

i will try and reflect your views in my future posts

are you having problems at home? it seems you have a bee in your bonnet lately.

oh and for the record......how can you be a victim of drug addiction? suffering sure but victim no.
Although this is not the thread to discuss, of course you can be a victim.

Canning is bogan land. A lot of people who'd vote for what's left of One Nation before the party of "gays and lesbians".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back