2014 Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The Doggies last week certainly put a line in the sand and looks like others will now need to step up.

Round 2.

Hurstbridge vs Lalor Both winners last week with the Bridges a bit more suprising, Think the Bloods will get this one though,
Epping vs Panton Hill The Pingers to get on the board and put real pressure on the Redbacks back in Div.2 .
Mernda vs North Heidelberg The Doggies look the real deal and should beable to handle the Demons here.
Fitzroy Stars vs Diamond Creek The Stars were disappointing last week as were the Demons but should get on the board here.

Ground isn't in the worst condition at the moment but 19s and Reserves will have something to say about that. We'll see how the ground holds up.
Fingers crossed it has something to do with the muppet who rode a steamroller on the ground, an hour before we were due to play our relegation game in the final round of the cricket season. It kind of meant that any ball hit flew across the ground. We got relegated by 0.005%.

game of 2 halves yesterday at hurstbridge. hurstbridge led by 6 goals at half time then couldnt get their hands on the ball after half time. Lalor kicked 14 goals to 2 to dominate and win easily. Pretty impressive by Lalor and just as unimpressive by hurstbridge.

Very quiet on here boys still. What is everyone's thoughts 2 rounds in
•is diamo on the slide
•are lalor looking the real deal
•do nth look like they are a chance to go all the way
•will panton hill win a few and any chance to stay up
•hurst bridge, Mernda and Epping can they push the top 4
• are the stars still the side to beat when they get all players back

The season's way too close to call at the moment and it might take until the second half of the season to determine where each side are at. Diamo have North next weekend and they are staring 0-3 right in the face and it wouldn't be good for them clearly if they were 0-3 so a must win next weekend. Having seen North this weekend gone I can't see it happening. North have plenty of talent in their side.

We have Epping on ANZAC Day, should be a special occasion and hopefully we get up and move to 2-1. Lalor also look very very good and if they knock over the Stars at home they'll be making a massive statement for the year ahead. Hurstbridge for all intents and purposes also looks like a side that have improved. Not sure Panton Hill will stay up but they'll win games I think.

Next week tells us a bit more but still who knows how this season will end up.

To the games then...

Epping V Mernda: Going to be a cracking game. Big crowd will turn up, nothing better than heading up there and taking the four points hopefully.
North Heidelberg V Diamond Creek: having seen North last week they look very good and I expect them to get up here.
Lalor V Fitzroy Stars: There's a want to tip Fitzroy here but Lalor look like a vastly improved side.
Panton Hill V Hurstbridge: Hurstbridge to bounce back and return to the top four

Round 3.

Epping vs Mernda The ANZAC game for the division and a close one it will be with the home side saluting.
North Heidelberg vs Diamond Creek The Doggies to inflict more early season pain on the Demons
Lalor vs Fitzroy Stars Even this early the game could decide who has claims on the double chance. The Bloods to be too composed.
Panton Hill vs Hurstbridge The Bridges have been good thru the first two weeks and should put the Redbacks in a hole.

Very happy we got up, though there's still a bit to work on. Game should've been over by half time. Ah well, I'll take it, 2-1, good spot to be in.

mernda should be dissapointed that they let epping back in the game but a wins a win. Not sure what the go is with epping they look like a side playing with no style or direction just kick and hope for the best they seem to lack quality around the ground, could be a long year

mernda should be dissapointed that they let epping back in the game but a wins a win.

I guess in every game so far we've had those disappointing patches where we've switched off for 10 minutes and the opposition hurts us on the scoreboard before we stem the flow a bit. The first 20 minutes I was hugely impressed, five goals to a point and that point lead to us going coast to coast.

Great win by the Panton Hill boys! Perhaps they might shake it up a bit after all. After todays results, Diamo on the bottom with a game v Epping next week. Interesting times in div 2 and good for the comp over all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doggies looking super at the minute. Dimo had a crack & challenged but Nth's ability to run out games is superior to any1 at this point. New boys fitting in well & probably rejuventated a few of the older guys. Plenty of depth with Green, Villanti, Bramich in scoobies so plenty to
look forward to.

Watched Lalor V Fitzroy, and to be honest I can not come on here and say that either team played at their best. Fitzroy just could not finish Lalor off and can not see them being as much as what every one made them out to be around pre season. On the other hand Lalor started off how they should play football and then just went flat! Both sides can be contenders but if they play like they did they won't go far. On the other side of town, NH are the team to beat and a little whisper of Didak signing for a couple of games is worrying for any competitor that will line up against them. NH definitely wants back in Div 1 and at the moment they are well on their way.

Fitzroy just could not finish Lalor off and can not see them being as much as what every one made them out to be around pre season.

Come on? It was a 1 sided game and the result was obvious midway through the first quarter. Lalor closed the second quarter out with the final 4 goals with 3 in a row to Hughes (2 in the way of free kicks) to close the margin to 1 point. Despite the 1 point margin the STARS controlled the half and did the same in the second half.

The STARS have improved in both games since NH, with the return of Davis this week assisting with structure up forward.

-------------------------------------

Went down to the Panton Hill Vs Hurstbridge game following STARS and Lalor match. I thought redevelopment works last season would have assisted in removing the hump in the middle of the ground, but apparently not, ground is small for senior footy. Great atmosphere from the club room end with plenty of support for the home side.

Not sure what to take from the game, Hurstbridge were ordinary from what I've seen from them in the past, they usually match up reasonably well when I've seen them against the STARS. They would expect to improve a lot from this game, but it will be hard to do it next week against NH. Panton Hill defended pretty well, controlled most of the game and had plenty of the ball in the forward half, with 10 extra behinds being the difference on the scoreboard. If Hurstbridge even had a 10 minute period where they controlled the match, I feel like they could have stolen a win.

-------------------------------------

Not sure if NH need Didak to their side, perhaps an unnecessary expense? But if they think they can get it back through the crowd, give it a crack, would be good for Div 2 to get some high profiled players recently out of AFL.

My point proven, I said that the stars could not finish Lalor off, Lalor were only 3 goals down going into the last because of poor kicking which is poor football, good sides won't let you keep that lead. I agree that Stars were better, but to be honest if both sides go up against NH and play like they did against each other be prepared to have their pants pulled down. Skills were terrible, people missing 15m kicks, players dropping marks when no one is around, goals missed from 20 out and a lot of front runners. Not saying both sides don't have it too win, just saying it was a bad day at Sydney Crescent. I agree Fitzroy definitely looked better, just saying that the game wasn't at a level that I expected. Cheers.

Surprised by a couple of results from last week which makes for an interesting and tight season ahead.

Hurstbridge vs North Heidelberg Don't think the Bridges will trouble the Doggies too much here.
Diamond Creek vs Epping A must-win game for the Demons and they may just get it against the Blues.
Lalor vs Mernda Expecting a very hard and close game here with the Bloods to get the points with a score after the siren.
Fitzroy Stars vs Panton Hill With the Stars game back on track they should easily dispose of the Redbacks in this one.

Interesting start to Div 2, Bloods have improved might scrape into 4th, Diamo battling is a real surprise & might miss the 4. Dogs of to great start hopefully we have some luck with our list & be very hard to stop with a number of great inclusions. Stars & Mernda to fill the 2nd & 3rd spots. The old Pingers have come back to earth with a thud not sure what has gone on there, almost unbeatable 2 years ago in Div 2, competitive in Div 1 & now battling against the lower Div 2 sides. Good luck to all today, Doggies by 90!

Interesting start to Div 2, Bloods have improved might scrape into 4th, Diamo battling is a real surprise & might miss the 4. Dogs of to great start hopefully we have some luck with our list & be very hard to stop with a number of great inclusions. Stars & Mernda to fill the 2nd & 3rd spots. The old Pingers have come back to earth with a thud not sure what has gone on there, almost unbeatable 2 years ago in Div 2, competitive in Div 1 & now battling against the lower Div 2 sides. Good luck to all today, Doggies by 90!
Well the Pingers got the job done against Diamo today! Will not make the 4 Diamo and playing Panton Hill at the the hill next up threatens to see them entrenched on the bottom. Who would have thought! For the record 10-12 wins seems to be the required amount to make finals. Not a lot of margin for error the way Diamo are travelling at the moment.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back