2014 Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Christ North Heidelberg look reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good though.

I think at the moment they are the best side, followed by daylight, Mernda and then Fitzroy and Lalor. We'll learn more about whether we're the next best this weekend when we have the Stars.
Was at hurstbridge on Saturday before the rain started coming down could have easily mistaken the doggies for being top 4 in divvy 1 footy was breath taking

Looking at the sides for this week, 8-10 players missing from what could be considered as the STARS best 22 for this season, replacement and fringe players aren't bad though. Just got the job done last week, and with a few more out it will be good to test the depth and see who can stand up. Looking forward to watching the game against Mernda tomorrow.

A couple of interesting results from last week.

Epping vs Hurstbridge The Blues showing better form than the Bridges in the past few weeks should get them another four points.
Mernda vs Fitzroy Stars A big test for the Demons with the Stars in a purple patch at the moment.
North Heidelberg vs Lalor A classic rivalry but the Doggies are way ahead of teh Bloods at the moment.
Panton Hill vs Diamond Creek It's D-Day for the Demons but still think the Redbacks can get across the line.

Epping V Hurstbridge: Feel like Epping will get the chocolates but all attention will be firmly on Hurstbridge and how they respond.
Mernda V Fitzroy: Gee what an interesting game that will be. We'll find out who's best of the rest at the moment behind the Dogs and hopefully it's us. I'm looking forward to it big time.
North Heidelberg V Lalor: Lalor have improved for sure but North Heidelberg are far ahead of everyone else.
Panton Hill V Diamond Creek: How huge is this? Big question marks over Diamo if they can't get over Panton Hill. At home I'm thinking the Hillers will sneak over the line.

Good effort by a heavily depleted STARS side to lead for 3 quarters just couldn't hold it in the last.

Plenty of improvement in the side will be made with 10 inclusions to come in (all of which I'd expect to be in the starting 18): Davis, Murray, M. Brown, Burns, R. Bamblett, Brennan, McCauley, Isailovic and Whyman. Egan probably due to come in around July.

Anyway, good effort by Mernda in the last quarter to take the win this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good effort by a heavily depleted STARS side to lead for 3 quarters just couldn't hold it in the last.

Plenty of improvement in the side will be made with 10 inclusions to come in (all of which I'd expect to be in the starting 18): Davis, Murray, M. Brown, Burns, R. Bamblett, Brennan, McCauley, Isailovic and Whyman. Egan probably due to come in around July.

Anyway, good effort by Mernda in the last quarter to take the win this time around.

Agreed. First quarter from the Stars was excellent - they put us under immense pressure every time we got the footy and the goals came for them as a result. I thought the second and third quarters were better but the Stars felt like they had every answer for us but then the last quarter was very good and I was very happy with it. You're right, the Stars do have a lot to come back in so I'm keen to see how we match up next time at Sir Douglas Nicholls Oval later in the season but for now we sit 4-1, outright second, and I'll take that for sure with games against Hurstbridge and Diamo to come.

Geez, Diamo 0/5. Perhaps div 3 beckons? Who would have imagined!

Gee whiz... it was always going to be one side dropping out which would allow us to step up and potentially play finals, and it looks like Diamo are that team. That's seven losses in nine games stemming from the back end of last year, six on the bounce. Lalor this week is huge for them, hopefully they break their duck sooner rather than later.

Was at the north v lalor game and despite the score line thought lalor were very good early at executing their game plan which was win the footy in defense and kick their way through the bulldog press until they got out the other side. Doggies were about 20% off early and allowed lalor to hit up those targets. The rain came just before half time and lalor's skills disappeared which allowed the doggies to do what they do best and counter attack. After half time the doggies pressure stepped and just overwhelmed lalor. Lalor would have been disappointed with the way they finished but should take some confidence out of their early play. Think the depth the doggies and Mernda seem to have will be crucial throughout the year. 2nds 223 to 1pt. Plenty of pressure on blokes to keep their spot in the senior team, so far they are playing like it.

Last edited:
Agreed. First quarter from the Stars was excellent - they put us under immense pressure every time we got the footy and the goals came for them as a result. I thought the second and third quarters were better but the Stars felt like they had every answer for us but then the last quarter was very good and I was very happy with it. You're right, the Stars do have a lot to come back in so I'm keen to see how we match up next time at Sir Douglas Nicholls Oval later in the season but for now we sit 4-1, outright second, and I'll take that for sure with games against Hurstbridge and Diamo to come.

Gee whiz... it was always going to be one side dropping out which would allow us to step up and potentially play finals, and it looks like Diamo are that team. That's seven losses in nine games stemming from the back end of last year, six on the bounce. Lalor this week is huge for them, hopefully they break their duck sooner rather than later.
Not 100 percent sure but I think there #1 recruit in Hugh Kavanagh may have done a serious injury as well.

Has the market changed with chop sewie the big unit signing at Mernda . Does that make them the new flag favourites?
What has been the biggest change at the kennel just new players
They must have come into a money tree have they with all new squad they've got.
DIAMO is gone, amazing they thought they were a genuine challenger for the whole lot this year and at this stage r looking at div 3 although I say they will stay up. Surely cockroach is under the pump!

Has the market changed with chop sewie the big unit signing at Mernda . Does that make them the new flag favourites?
DIAMO is gone, amazing they thought they were a genuine challenger for the whole lot this year and at this stage r looking at div 3 although I say they will stay up. Surely cockroach is under the pump!
Diamos biggest problem according to an insider is that they are a club without ambition. Ie they are happy to play finals but don't want a bar of div 1. Not to say they don't have good players of div one standard, but also those players do not have ambition to play higher.

Another round of some interesting games.

Round 6.
Hurstbridge vs Mernda Even with the big inclusion the Bridges to continue to struggle and teh Demons to win.
Diamond Creek vs Lalor It's now or never for the Demons, and looking like never with a Bloods win.
Panton Hill vs North Heidelberg Anticipate the Redbacks being swatted away here by the Doggies.
Epping vs Fitzroy Stars Some important ins for the Stars give sthem the advantage over the Pingers.

Ah yes. Round Six should be interesting.

Hurstbridge V Mernda: I'm really looking forward to this one. Obviously the Bridges will have a big day with Chris Tarrant playing his one off game and they're expecting a huge crowd but I'm confident we have the matchups for him whether he plays in defense or attack. Well done to Gallich and Saul for getting their first senior games with the club, looking forward to their contributions. I'd like to think we can move to 5-1 here.
Diamond Creek V Lalor: Hardest game to tip. Lalor have lost three in a row, Diamo six (going back to last year). Lalor have played the better football this year IMO though and I'll tip them to get the chocolates.
Panton Hill V North Heidelberg: North are simply playing some amazing football at the moment, though the Hillers have been improving big time since we played them in the opening game.
Epping V Fitzroy Stars: Fitzroy played some very good football last week, we just overran them with all their injuries in the end BUT they do have some quality players coming in this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back