List of 2016 Free Agents (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's always going to be the case. If you looked at the class of 2015 this time last year it would be a much more impressive list, obviously as time goes on more players re-sign.
That's true. The strength of each free agency class is determined by who chooses not to sign an extension. I think over time we'll see less players signing during the season and will instead wait until the FA period opens to see their options. It's almost irresponsible not to.

I know some Swans supporters have said Hannebery has indicated he would like to return to Victoria later in his career and 2016 appears to make the most sense. The pressure will be on the Swans salary cap wise and he's definitely going to be offered a larger salary from some of the Victorian clubs.

Gold Coast ..Nil...... If they change it to 6 years it would shake it up a bit for them.
Probably not as much as you would think. It would add Luke Russell, Dion Prestia, Sam Day, Tom Lynch and Tom Nicholls to the list.

I know some Swans supporters have said Hannebery has indicated he would like to return to Victoria later in his career and 2016 appears to make the most sense. The pressure will be on the Swans salary cap wise and he's definitely going to be offered a larger salary from some of the Victorian clubs.

If he wants to go back to Victoria I hope he is on the market at the end of 2015 as at least then we will get something for him, something we desperately need so we can afford both Mills and Dunkley in the national draft.

If he wants to go back to Victoria I hope he is on the market at the end of 2015 as at least then we will get something for him, something we desperately need so we can afford both Mills and Dunkley in the national draft.

1 year short is Hanners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully SOS is already in Hannaburry's ear, ideal replacement for C Judd

Hanners is the nephew of Luke O'Sullivan and, if Dennis is delisted at the end of the year, perfect opportunity to for Hanners to wear the No. 27.

Jack Watts played pretty well on the weekend against the Gold Coast. Gold Coast's key defenders in May and Thompson are no slouches so he did well. If he can continue along that vein he'll be sought after at the end of next year when he becomes a free agent.

What that article doesn't explain is that Dixon, Smith and Thompson are all off contract in 2015 so you would think at 24 years of age they would all be looking for more than a one year extension. If any of those three sign a one year extension then their plans become pretty obvious.
does that give them tradeability this year?

If any are looking to sign a one year deal it wouldn't surprise me if the Suns then look around for trade partners while they still have some leverage. Similar to Lake with the Doggies.

If any are looking to sign a one year deal it wouldn't surprise me if the Suns then look around for trade partners while they still have some leverage. Similar to Lake with the Doggies.
Agree. If they think any of those three are planning on leaving in 18 months time then you get value out of them this year, which is exactly what the Crows should have done last year with Dangerfield if it turns out he walks. The Suns know they are on their way up the ladder so getting compensation for losing a free agent isn't a good idea. Most teams in the AFL would give up a top 10 pick to secure a player like Dixon but the chances of the Gold Coast finishing lower than 8th next year seem pretty remote so you're better off trading a year out when you have leverage.

Is Jacky boy still an unrestricted FA or has he signed up with the Tiges? Some interesting players coming out of restricted FA in 2016, even some restricted players could move. Goldstein and Jacky boy and the big ones I would think and it really depends on how the clubs are progressing. The Hawks love raiding North for players so they might go after him.

Is Jacky boy still an unrestricted FA or has he signed up with the Tiges? Some interesting players coming out of restricted FA in 2016, even some restricted players could move. Goldstein and Jacky boy and the big ones I would think and it really depends on how the clubs are progressing. The Hawks love raiding North for players so they might go after him.
J.Riewoldt is off contract in 2016 as of right now. Depending on whether they change the FA rules, he may be classed as a restricted free agent as 2016 is his first opportunity to enter the FA market just like Andrew Swallow's situation this year with North. To be honest I think your very own Dan Hannebery will be chased hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back