Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swans 23 first +24 first+ sheldrick and you've got a deal
Lets see where your 23 first ends up by August. You won't be holding a top 10 pick in my opinion once your defense gets back.

If you end up offering just 2 late firsts, then you'll need to include Logan McDonald to get WC even remotely interested.

The simple answer is the eagles finishing last as the only side who would trade it. Then if I were them it would require a top 5 pick in this draft and next and a young good player or another first round pick. I would also entertain getting in a decent second round pick as part of it and package up to suns for their first. Eagles could walk away with up to 3 first rounders and 2 next year plus a proof young player that’s a pretty solid start to a rebuild. Harley Reid is a great fit at north,hawks or gws but eagles need to inject a lot of talent in next 3 years so maximise the return for pick 1 IMO.

Eagles could walk away with up to 3 first rounders and 2 next year plus a proof young player that’s a pretty solid start to a rebuild.
Lmfao this is lunacy

No club would keep pick 1 if you could flip it for 5 first round picks and a promising young player

Then if I were them it would require a top 5 pick in this draft and next and a young good player or another first round pick.

No way would a rebuilding club offer that. That is enough currency for the WBD to pick up the phone and consider parting ways with The Bont.

For 3xFRP the expectation is you will get a top 10 calibre player with years left in their prime.

Lmfao this is lunacy

No club would keep pick 1 if you could flip it for 5 first round picks and a promising young player

No way would a rebuilding club offer that. That is enough currency for the WBD to pick up the phone and consider parting ways with The Bont.

For 3xFRP the expectation is you will get a top 10 calibre player with years left in their prime.
Feel like You’ve misunderstood what I’m saying and or I didn’t write it exactly correctly was late after a few. Right now they have a first each year. Trade 1 for a first this year and next and another later first this year. That’s 4 firsts. If they fit in a decent second pick 19 and that to the suns for their first that’s 5. The player would be instead of one of the firsts in the pick 1 trade. Hopefully that is less lunacy!

Right and if Gawn had of been in the opposite position and used his full size and strength Daniel goes into the fence head/neck/face first at running speed. Gawn in that instance was trying to be as weak as possible to get the ball over the line.

Even if there is no major incident guys like this, their shoulders, knees, hips, ribs and ankles take an absolute beating and they lose that blistering agility, pace and step and have short careers.

As always there is an exception that makes the rule in a guy like Boomer Harvey.

Watson is 170cm with boots on and 65 kg's. A full speed collision with a Ruck, Key bodied Key forward or as mentioned even someone like Petracca and it's potentially career ending.

Caleb Daniel AFAIK to this day still holds the record for ranking points per game in their junior year as a small mid. He's had a decent career due to his beyond exceptional footy IQ but would you use a top 2-3 pick on him?
I personally think with the changes in rules and players protecting the head more than ever, size isn't that much of an issue any more. They're smarter with the tackling now too. The sling has pretty much been eliminated.

He looks an unreal talent (well, in the vids I've seen anyway). I'd love for WC to pick him up.

If it is WCE that gets the pick - do they use this as a way of salary dumping the likes of Yeo, Nic Nat, Etc?

It would allow them a lot of flexibility to go to the draft AND chase WA talent like Tim English, where they would be able to offer a massive sum, once the big contracts are off the books.

Something like Pick 1 & Nic Nat for Hawks first this year and future first and second?

If it is WCE that gets the pick - do they use this as a way of salary dumping the likes of Yeo, Nic Nat, Etc?

It would allow them a lot of flexibility to go to the draft AND chase WA talent like Tim English, where they would be able to offer a massive sum, once the big contracts are off the books.

Something like Pick 1 & Nic Nat for Hawks first this year and future first and second?
That's a lot for Hawthorn to be paying (particularly if they get another top 5 pick next year).
If it's pick 3 this year then I think we'd accept it (minus Nic).
Nic won't play elsewhere and I don't think he is the salary dump you think he is.

My preference, if Hawks want pick 1 then I want pick 3 and Mackenzie as a starting point.
They don't want to include Mackenzie (or equivalent quality young player, of which they have few), then I'm not interested.

Right and if Gawn had of been in the opposite position and used his full size and strength Daniel goes into the fence head/neck/face first at running speed. Gawn in that instance was trying to be as weak as possible to get the ball over the line.

Even if there is no major incident guys like this, their shoulders, knees, hips, ribs and ankles take an absolute beating and they lose that blistering agility, pace and step and have short careers.

As always there is an exception that makes the rule in a guy like Boomer Harvey.

Watson is 170cm with boots on and 65 kg's. A full speed collision with a Ruck, Key bodied Key forward or as mentioned even someone like Petracca and it's potentially career ending.

Caleb Daniel AFAIK to this day still holds the record for ranking points per game in their junior year as a small mid. He's had a decent career due to his beyond exceptional footy IQ but would you use a top 2-3 pick on him?

Caleb Daniel is nowhere near the athlete that Watson is.

On raw testing numbers, Watson is by far the best athlete in this draft class across most of the measurables.

Elite Speed
Elite Vertical
Beyond Elite Agility
Yo-yo test was borderline elite.

Boomer Harvey crossed with someone like Milne/Charlie Cameron is a much better comparison.

Kosi Pickett is 1cm taller than him.

Boomer would have absolutely torn up the modern game had he started now.

People get so hung up on his height. But the reality is he can outreach the average 185cm AFL footballer with a 94cm running vertical.

A 94cm vertical is almost 10cm larger than 9th placed of the 68 tested in last years combine.

He would have finished second in all of the agility, vertical and the 20m tests at last years national combine and placed top 10 in the 2km

Last edited:
Caleb Daniel is nowhere near the athlete that Watson is.

On raw testing numbers, Watson is by far the best athlete in this draft class across most of the measurables.

Elite Speed
Elite Vertical
Beyond Elite Agility
Yo-yo test was borderline elite.

Boomer Harvey crossed with someone like Milne/Charlie Cameron is a much better comparison.

Kosi Pickett is 1cm taller than him.

Boomer would have absolutely torn up the modern game had he started now.

People get so hung up on his height. But the reality is he can outreach the average 185cm AFL footballer with a 94cm running vertical.

A 94cm vertical is almost 10cm larger than 9th placed of the 68 tested in last years combine.

He would have finished second in all of the agility, vertical and the 20m tests at last years national combine and placed top 10 in the 2km

Another example was on show yday - Brett Daniels from GWS - 172 cms and tough as nails. Got 3 goals to boot.

Watson will be a class above him.

If ur WCE and the Blues finish bottom 6...

Just going off some of the wild trade hypotheticals fans on our board who are going into full blown meltdown are throwing out there.

Do you do:

2023 First & 2024 First + players like Fisher & Kennedy

or

2023 First & Patrick Cripps

Personally prefer Watson than Reid in terms of needs for the Blues but just curious to hear others thoughts on whether that gets close to the mark.

If ur WCE and the Blues finish bottom 6...

Just going off some of the wild trade hypotheticals fans on our board who are going into full blown meltdown are throwing out there.

Do you do:

2023 First & 2024 First + players like Fisher & Kennedy

or

2023 First & Patrick Cripps

Personally prefer Watson than Reid in terms of needs for the Blues but just curious to hear others thoughts on whether that gets close to the mark.

There is no reason for Carlton or WCE to do this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks don’t need an ageing ruck that can’t get on the park.

Sorry if I misread I can’t believe there is this much talk about Jake kelly

To be fair Jake Kelly is just an average player with an average name.

Ignore the specifics.

The AFL has a sallary cap. On average an average player is worth 400k and a star is worth >800k a year.

Any team getting an average player for free would have 400k extra to spend on the rest of their list for as long as that players previous team was paying that sallary.

Put that +400k on top of another average players 400k wage and you now have 1 extra star level player that you previously couldn’t afford (or you sacrificed depth to keep)

If your a team that’s hoping to win the flag Now then trading a 2nd round pick for this type of arrangement or trading down in the draft as part of this type of arrangement makes some sense given the production of this type of player is certain vs a draft pick that’s uncertain and won’t likely be ready to contribute for a few years

It can be advantageous for a young team too as that player being on another team frees up a list spot for a developmental project player

Nick Martin and 1st round pick
smile-laughing.gif

This is not a fire sale.

Last edited:
No ******* chance would we do that.
I'm going to guess neither team would do that.

Unfortunately and not a dig at you but some other Essendon supporters in here you aren't getting Reid. Reading crap like Kelly and Shiel for pick one. Cmon now the PlayStation even knows that's a bad deal.

Hawks/Melb/GWS are really the only players here.

Unfortunately and not a dig at you but some other Essendon supporters in here you aren't getting Reid. Reading crap like Kelly and Shiel for pick one. Cmon now the PlayStation even knows that's a bad deal.

Well, not really.

We are going to have a top 3 pick, another first round pick (Port) and a likely F1 pick that would be considered a top 5 pick.

GWS is the only one with a comparable hand really.

It's an interesting hypothetical in theory, I don't think Hawthorn would do that though, no matter how much they rate Reid.

Well, not really.

We are going to have a top 3 pick, another first round pick (Port) and a likely F1 pick that would be considered a top 5 pick.

GWS is the only one with a comparable hand really.
Apologies did leave North off.

It’s annoying how people seem to miss the point of what I actually said. It was never Kelly and Sheil for pick 1 lol

It was 1.2-2M in financially motivated deals either as sallary dumps from other clubs or by paying the wages of a player on your own team and trading them at a reduced salary to assemble enough Pick shrapnel aka 2nd and 3rd rounders that they could then be combined with Essendons 2nd/3rd round picks to get 2-3 FRPs to trade to West Coast.

Harley Reid for 4 FRPs and Nick Bryan(or equivalent project player) was the trade I actually suggested

Apologies did leave North off.

GC are probably the real shaper of this.

They have the ability to provide another club in the bottom 5-6 another top 10 pick, which might be enough to get this over the line. Getting that pick may cost a future pick though.

So hard to rule anyone out completely.

I do think WC will want a pick back at least in the top 4.

This time last year, noone would have thought Geelong would have been able to engineer a pick in the top 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back