Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, a ridiculous statement.

Duursma kicked 6 goals as a 16 year old last year in a NAB League game and has kicked about 100 goals since that game averaging over 20 disposals a game.

Watson has kicked around 200+ goals in the last 3 years of underage Victorian football (the best in the country).

Sanders took the piss at every level this year and notched up one of the most statistically dominant years we've ever seen, arguably better than both Walsh and Ashcrofts year across all levels.

Then there's McKercher, who only broke from stoppage (on a half back flank), burnt through 50m of the center square for a running goal in the Nab League this year......he's probably the one who can make some things happen like no-one else in the draft tbh.

This draft is full of game breakers. It's not just Reid.

It goes right down to Caddy.

Harley is an unbelievable prospect, but he's not better than everyone else in EVERY department.
He literally was referring to stoppages and you went on a rant about 3 forwards....

Because he played forward for 90% of the year!

For most of last year he played as a backman!

Have you lot even watched the bloke you have been ranting on about for hundreds of pages? Outside of 1 VFL game?!
Nah, I've only watched the 3 minutes highlights of Reid's whole season and made my assessment on that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on your assessment of Reid's abilities in the midfield.
If you want a player at the coalface generating stoppages he's your man. He makes things happen like no-one else in this draft pool.
Just look at his 3rd quarter against Metro or his game against Geelong in the wild card round or his game playing for Essendon VFL.
Too bad he actually produces that so rarely. Also in the vfl I thought he was playing more outside than usual which is probably what you want him to be with his pace.

damn, reid sounds like a bust. we'd better trade pick one for any offer that comes our way!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too bad he actually produces that so rarely. Also in the vfl I thought he was playing more outside than usual which is probably what you want him to be with his pace.
Yeah, he works effectively as the 2nd touch mid as well.
I definitely wouldn't say it's rare though. He was an effective midfielder in rounds 1-3 of the Talent League and the first Academy game. See his game against Tasmania for instance:

It was just after his return from concussion (i.e. the games against the Northern Knights and South Australia where he was almost exclusively playing deep forward which, incidentally, he kicked 7 goals over those two games and probably missed a handful of other gettable shots).
He continued to show his midfield prowess in later games after his couple of games playing key forward (i.e. the games against Metro, Geelong and in the VFL game against Southport). See here for Harley's start of third quarter against Metro (and then his fourth quarter as well):

I think he has demonstrated his midfield ability sufficiently for recruiters to know he can be elite as a mid at AFL level.

Twomey has been pretty spot on so far and has again reiterated it just now on TR. Also hasn’t been refuted by the Hawks or anyone else which has been done on occasions an incorrect trade has been mooted

I’d say it’s more likely than unlikely to have been offered

Yeh sorry i mustve misheard him or someone else say Brockman and 4

Because he played forward for 90% of the year!

For most of last year he played as a backman!

Have you lot even watched the bloke you have been ranting on about for hundreds of pages? Outside of 1 VFL game?!
Sounds like a dud.

Maybe he'll slip to our second round pick.

Yep and came back every time as it’s the place to be

I guess that’s why more people are leaving it than coming to it.

Vic players leaving for interstate teams is becoming a bit of a thing.

Daniher, Dunkley, Adams.

Grundy said didn’t want to leave Melbourne, next year open to move to either Adelaide or Sydney.

Concerning.

Yeah, he works effectively as the 2nd touch mid as well.
I definitely wouldn't say it's rare though. He was an effective midfielder in rounds 1-3 of the Talent League and the first Academy game. See his game against Tasmania for instance:

It was just after his return from concussion (i.e. the games against the Northern Knights and South Australia where he was almost exclusively playing deep forward which, incidentally, he kicked 7 goals over those two games and probably missed a handful of other gettable shots).
He continued to show his midfield prowess in later games after his couple of games playing key forward (i.e. the games against Metro, Geelong and in the VFL game against Southport). See here for Harley's start of third quarter against Metro (and then his fourth quarter as well):

I think he has demonstrated his midfield ability sufficiently for recruiters to know he can be elite as a mid at AFL level.

I'm not doubting he's more than good when he plays there.

You've citied 2 games and 2 qtrs across the entire season. The majority of the rest he played as a deep forward.

Last year his most dominant games were behind the ball, I think he's devastating in that role and if North were to draft him, it's exactly where I'd want him played.

I think next best is probably in midfield, but I don't think he has the endurance to sustain long periods, so we haven't really seen what he's REALLY capable of in the middle. Third is forward. I think Duursma is a better deep forwards than Reid.

My initial statement was around the comment that he's the best midfielder in the draft capable of things no one else in the draft can do. Thats simply hyperbole. He's not capable of things a few of the other mids are of doing either and he's not the best pure midfielder in the draft.

That's a discussion of McKercher vs Sanders.

I'm not doubting he's more than good when he plays there.

You've citied 2 games and 2 qtrs across the entire season. The majority of the rest he played as a deep forward.

Last year his most dominant games were behind the ball, I think he's devastating in that role and if North were to draft him, it's exactly where I'd want him played.

I think next best is probably in midfield, but I don't think he has the endurance to sustain long periods, so we haven't really seen what he's REALLY capable of in the middle. Third is forward. I think Duursma is a better deep forwards than Reid.

My initial statement was around the comment that he's the best midfielder in the draft capable of things no one else in the draft can do. Thats simply hyperbole. He's not capable of things a few of the other mids are of doing either and he's not the best pure midfielder in the draft.

That's a discussion of McKercher vs Sanders.
Competition high of 7 clearances per game in the in the u18s comp. combine that with an average of 13 contested possessions per game, suggests he’s at least on the same level as McKercher and Sanders.

Posters forget how good a midfielder he is because he is so damaging in other parts of the ground

You don’t play someone who can average 7 clearances and 13 contested possessions on the back flank if they’re physically ready to go in the middle. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back