Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm torn. I'd love the opportunity, but I also don't like the idea of giving up the advantage of a hard earned home final. Still, them's the breaks I guess.

FWIW I still think we're a good chance of top 4 with Geelong the side to drop out. Their ladder position flatters them to a ridiculous degree. And having watched the manner in which the magpies came out after the bye yesterday, dominating from start to finish and appearing to be full of running at the end, leads me to believe the entire club's definitely been in a heavy training load phase over the past month and the AFL team will come out after their bye and perform similarly.

Here's something that would be the AFL's wet dream in terms of a preliminary finals series - Hawthorn hosting Sydney, Friday night, packed MCG, 100k...and Port Adelaide hosting Adelaide, Saturday afternoon, packed AO, 53500...

The best thing about the scenario that I have in my mind is - Adelaide having to play Fremantle at Subiaco in a semi-final after winning against Geelong the week before, while we take care of Sydney at ANZ and have the week off. Their supporters will be going mental thinking that they are going to make a GF...then we smash the s**t out of them like we did against North Melbourne and forever stain their psyche in a way that can never be repaired.

Ahh, I can dream...

Would love to smash the Crows in the finals and get rid of them. Sure we could lose but if we do then as Ken says "We get what we deserve".

spookism said:
Will take on anyone and everyone come September.

Don't care who or where.
That's the Port Adelaide spirit right there

Exactly...Port Adelaide has always relished any opposition in the finals. Win or lose we take 'em on

You lads hit the nail on the head. That is the mental attitude we need to believe and live, because that is truly Port Adelaide!

Agree with Chris above.

I would love Port to be the first team under the present system to win the flag from outside the 8.

That would put 119 to bed pretty fast.

EDIT: Outside the top 4 - we are not Carlton

Last edited:
I'm with finbarr, Geelong is the odd team out in the top 4 based on basic stats.

Collingwood obviously will be angry but our boys should be angrier and they will run hard this week

Look at what he has to work with.

If you can name five players from the 2010 premiership team who were out there tonight you are doing well.

He needs a few years to get this squad up to scratch.

I agree, and if he had Swan and Maxwell, Pie's win that game.

Buckley is one coach at the time that I was praying that we could land when he was looking for a job along with Ken. Buck's will land a premiership before he has retired from coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

spookism said:
Will take on anyone and everyone come September.

Don't care who or where.
That's the Port Adelaide spirit right there

You lads hit the nail on the head. That is the mental attitude we need to believe and live, because that is truly Port Adelaide!

Finals footy is a different game, NO FEAR ATTIDUDE MUST BE SOUGHT and ATTACKING AT ALL COSTS...

hmm one thing is certain, for us to win not only will we have to beat the Collingwood players but the umpires frees, AFL will hand down a directive to get the wobblers over then line, AFL always relies on a Collingwood finals series attendance in making bank:eek:

I agree, and if he had Swan and Maxwell, Pie's win that game.

Buckley is one coach at the time that I was praying that we could land when he was looking for a job along with Ken. Buck's will land a premiership before he has retired from coaching.

Maxwell is retired isn't he? Maxwell wouldn't have made the difference in that game, niether would Swan the wqy he's been going this year.

Buckley has the biggest football department spend in the AFL and is still outside the 8. Your overrating him big time. He's taken a premiership team to the edge of disaster and I reckon they will keep sliding next year too.

Buckley has the biggest football department spend in the AFL and is still outside the 8. Your overrating him big time. He's taken a premiership team to the edge of disaster and I reckon they will keep sliding next year too.

I agree, he had 8 premiership players playing yesterday and they didn't stand up when required. It seems Buckley has a certain way he wants them to play but they aren't executing it very well or don't have the skills required.
All their depth players are exactly the same.
Broomhead looks like he will be a good player.

6 of Collingwood's team yesterday have less then 25 games under their belt. They are rebuilding and they've had a rough trot with injuries (on a par with our injury toll) so all things considered they've done okay.

I just finished watching yesterday's game- both Collingwood and Adelaide can play good football but not over 4 quarters. Fighting for 8th is about where they both should be.

IF! Port have our running game back we should be okay against Collingwood. If we serve the pile of turd football we've done over the last month we'll get done. Depends which Port show up.

6 of Collingwood's team yesterday have less then 25 games under their belt. They are rebuilding and they've had a rough trot with injuries (on a par with our injury toll) so all things considered they've done okay.

I just finished watching yesterday's game- both Collingwood and Adelaide can play good football but not over 4 quarters. Fighting for 8th is about where they both should be.

IF! Port have our running game back we should be okay against Collingwood. If we serve the pile of turd football we've done over the last month we'll get done. Depends which Port show up.

They have weaknesses all over the ground. The KPD's are young and undersized, but our forward line hasn't been great in the last month. Pendlebury and Beams can be winners, but they do lack depth in the midfield. Pendlebury doesn't seem to be going as well as he was with better quality around him. Ruckmen are young and not great. Cloke, Reid and Elliot are good forward targets, but Reid is underdone and Elliot just came back from injury too. Seems you can scrag Cloke as much as you like and get away with it.

But get a 40k crowd behind them and they can do alright.

Seems you can scrag Cloke as much as you like and get away with it.

Agree. Defenders can scrag anyone as much as they like and get away with it. The umpires are looking for jumper pulls which means that if the defender pushes or bodies when the ball is miles away he will get away with it. Although it seems to have turned full circle, a few years ago the forward was the one who could scrag and the defender had to tread carefully. Frees were paid against Cloke for doing exactly what Talia was doing for the whole game.

I've said it before, when a rule change is needed the AFL can't just go to the right decision, they have to go overboard.

Cloke goes looking to be scragged. He always played his best footy pushing up around CHF, he used to be a beast aerobically, now he's 10kg too heavy and tries to wrestle anyone and everyone. Once every six weeks he'll kick a bag on a dumb footballer like Alex Rance but up against good defenders like Carlile and Talia he gets constantly caught out of position and can't get to enough contests to ever really be threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back