Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is probably 1-2 per year over the last 5-6 years as indigenous top 10.
Bennell,Wingard,Martin,Pickett,Cockatoo,Ah Chee (Milera was 11).

WA teams would clean up, with the odd SA, and one NT. No vics.
Ok but would those kids have gone thru an academy? What are the rules about how long they have to spend in the academy, and the oldest they have to be to be allowed in, to be available for draft concessions? That's why its a bit early to say it will destroy the draft when we dont even know what the rules are. The devil is always in the detail, not the big picture.

As long as it means we get immediate access to our academy to grab Parfitt this year, then I'm all for it.

Rules will change again before long anyway. ...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not in 2016 contracts are signed and sealed.

But if we don't use it this year, we can use it next year. Allows us to frontload a little bit extra onto Wines' contract if necessary and/or go after another big name recruit for 2017.

But if we don't use it this year, we can use it next year. Allows us to frontload a little bit extra onto Wines' contract if necessary and/or go after another big name recruit for 2017.
Yes I know, further discussed it in the Player Replacement thread.

Ok but would those kids have gone thru an academy? What are the rules about how long they have to spend in the academy, and the oldest they have to be to be allowed in, to be available for draft concessions? That's why its a bit early to say it will destroy the draft when we dont even know what the rules are. The devil is always in the detail, not the big picture.

Unless they were late bloomers, clubs would make damn sure they met eligibility requirements for academies, even if they are excessively punitive, so I would say all of them would have been attached to an academy if it existed, plus plenty of second rounders like Impey, Neade etc.

How pissed would we have been if the crows could have matched our Wingard pick with an academy bid.

I can't say I like it, and the whole thing smells more to me of a way to appease the powerful vic clubs over the nsw/qld academies than of any genuine thought through attempt to improve the lot of indigenous/immigrant populations.

Partington signs a year extension to his two year draft deal with West Coast. Early extensions are generally given to players who are at risk of leaving IMO, because it lets the club increase their contract above that of the standard AFL draft contract.

Just made eye contact with Tex Walker at a bar and successfully gave no sign of recognition.

Speaking of eyes, Dean Gore is also here and his are about half an inch apart.

Just made eye contact with Tex Walker at a bar and successfully gave no sign of recognition.
"I know you, aren't you that tennis player Kyrgios?"

"I know you, aren't you that tennis player Kyrgios?"
Raman walks up to Taylor Walker and asks "So who are you anyway, guy?"

Taylor Walker freaks out, can't stop shouting "GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT" while pointing at his highlights package playing on his mobile phone

Raman walks up to Taylor Walker and asks "So who are you anyway, guy?"

Taylor Walker freaks out, can't stop shouting "GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT GALOOT" while pointing at his highlights package playing on his mobile phone

This was at the Alma so undoubtedly he'd have had some support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just going to leave these here...

151215-RICE-LARGE.png

151215-WHITE-LARGE.png

151215-gresham1-LARGE.png

Source: http://www.saints.com.au/team/players/seniors

The middle saints guy just looks creepy. I can't look at that without feeling unsafe :eek:

Come to think of it the first guy also is creepy

The middle saints guy just looks creepy. I can't look at that without feeling unsafe :eek:

Come to think of it the first guy also is creepy

The middle guy has a "how you doin?" look on his face.

AFL season 2016: Clubs paying for Bombers' 'indiscretion', says David Koch
Port Adelaide chairman David Koch says the four clubs with banned Essendon players are "paying for somebody else's indiscretion", but insists the Power's premiership hopes will not be derailed by losing Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries.

The AFL, with petitions from all clubs, have ruled that St Kilda, Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and Power cannot sign top-up players, as the Bombers have been able to do, despite also being disadvantaged by the fall-out of the supplements saga. The Power had argued that they should at least be allowed one top-up player, but will now be limited to a 42-man list this season, one less than the three other clubs.
The Power signed Ryder in 2014 when he was already mired in the drugs saga, but Monfries came aboard during the 2012 trade period when the scandal had yet to erupt. Koch said he understood the "buyer beware" argument about Ryder. "I can see people's argument with that. Our argument is that we were relying on both information from Essendon and the AFL, who constantly said they were innocent victims," he said. "With Angus, no-one knew anything about it – why should we pay? It's ridiculous.

"They [Essendon] are paying the consequences, the players are paying the consequences and now we pay the consequences as well. "How can the Bombers have more top up players than us when they knew exactly what went on and they re-signed some of their existing players that went through it. We end up with less players than them? It's annoying but that's life."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-clubs-paying-for-bombers-indiscretion-says-david-koch-20160206-gmncea.html

Longtime crime reporter for The Age John Silvester has written a good story about the AFL's desire to micro manage everything and spin it actually betrayed the victim in the Dustin Marin incident after she accepted his apology and the AFL and Richmond intervened.

Silvester sets the scene of footy interference

AFL's Dustin Martin said sorry, so why does the victim feel betrayed?
My father was a policeman who believed passionately in the rule of law. And this meant if anyone tried to interfere in the process he would become extremely cross and they would become extremely sad.

Many years ago a senior VFL figure strayed over the line when Fred was investigating a potential crime involving the football industry. The official, used to getting his own way, suggested how the case should be handled. This was a mistake. As I was told by another source Fred (then a chief inspector) looked over his glasses and threatened to arrest a particular umpire who failed to pay sufficient free kicks to Hawthorn's Leigh Matthews the previous weekend adding, "Because if you want to do my job I will do yours."
AFL's Dustin Martin said sorry, so why does the victim feel betrayed?

so initially its all sorted between the 2 with a genuine apology and an acceptance of that apology
The victim (and she is a victim in more ways than one) did complain to Richmond and within hours Martin rang to apologise. According to her Martin was contrite and sincere.

"He listened, he acknowledged how I felt and he was authentic. He knows he made a mistake and he has not shied away from that. As far as I was concerned after that phone call and apology the matter was over," she said. The woman, who works for Channel Seven, gave a TV interview about the incident that went to air that night. Martin did the wrong thing but tried to make it right. But there were others who should have known better who managed to make it much worse.

and this is how they made it worse by the spin merchants
When the story grew legs the AFL launched an investigation and this is where it gets murky with conflicts aplenty. There was the desire to find the truth but at the same time there was a vested interest in protecting the welfare of the player and to look after the image of the game. The woman was interviewed by AFL and Richmond investigators who later produced a document of her account that looks remarkably like a police statement – which is not surprising as they are ex-cops.

But the draft statement included a few strange paragraphs such as: "Whilst he genuinely frightened me, I do not consider this so much to be a 'violence against women issue' but an alcohol issue." And, "I don't personally want him to miss playing as I think that football is probably the only thing he has."This is curious. Surely the statement should have been restricted to her recollections of the event rather than speculation on motives and preferred punishment. Or was this about brand protection rather than fact gathering?

and a bit more
During her dealings with some officials she felt pressured to downplay the event and says she was told details of Martin's private life that were, frankly, none of her business. So those who were trying to protect Martin, actually betrayed him. At one point she says an official remarked, "He could go to jail and lose his job." "I was the one made to feel guilty," she says.

Eventually the matter was handed to police (she learnt on social media of the decision) but the case was already compromised. The victim, who had been subjected to online abuse, would not co-operate and while witnesses confirmed the ugly incident they did not hear the threatening words she claimed the footballer uttered.So Martin, clearly chastened by what happened, is free to play footy. One report suggested he was "shattered" by how he was perceived. So he became the victim while in some eyes the victim became the villain.

and the woman is left feeling she should have never reported it
She's left wishing she remained silent. While she was not touched by Martin she feels bruised by the AFL.

"Having known what I've experienced would I ever have reported it? Absolutely not. Why have I been subjected to what has felt like a criminal investigation by a sporting body for simply having the courage to report inappropriate behaviour? "I was utterly dismayed to learn of the blatant backgrounding to journalists by the AFL in an attempt to discredit me" – to the point where it was just a case of "a drunk kid being silly". "It quickly became clear that my welfare was not a priority. This is about protecting the image of a lucrative business for the AFL."
so why should we be surprised by the complete bullshit PR spin image protection from the AFL from the day it leaked to Essendon back in February 2013 that the ACC report was coming until the decision yesterday about no top up players.

Silvester even looks at the Collingwood nude photos and finishes off the article with

Anonymity in the media should be used for whistleblowers, not gold diggers.

So the woman who complained about Martin is put through the wringer while those who profited from the Collingwood pictures are protected. Ain't life grand? The two men are in relationships that may or may not be now under strain by this outrageous breach of privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back