Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what did our Brisbane game sound like on TV?

7 and Fox Footy's effects mics make it sound as if every game is a pleasant evening at the theatre. To someone who never goes to the footy and only watches on tele, hearing the comms team on the field before the Showdown saying stuff like, "when I interviewed Ken Hinkley I was just nodding because I couldn't hear his answers" would seem like complete bullshit.

7 and Fox Footy's effects mics make it sound as if every game is a pleasant evening at the theatre. To someone who never goes to the footy and only watches on tele, hearing the comms team on the field before the Showdown saying stuff like, "when I interviewed Ken Hinkley I was just nodding because I couldn't hear his answers" would seem like complete bullshit.
This. But that Crows v Sydney game where Sydney starting smashing them in the 4th was something else. It was like a bloody library

There seems to be a fair few Port fans that made the effort to attend their game yesterday.

If only the same applied & a contingent of Crow fans (not just a handful of those with SMA memberships) helped inflate our crowd numbers, few would bother when they openly take pleasure in seeing us suffer both on field & financially.

I wouldn't waste my time at one of their games especially one against easy beats like GWS so i'm glad i've been able to sell my share of Crows game from my membership.

I wouldn't want to help pump up their crowd figures & fill their clubs pockets with my money just so they can circle jerk & throw it in our face like they do all too often i.e social media & flogs like cRowe & Gra Gra.

We're almost guaranteed second place at the end of this round.

Geelong lose and we're second no matter what.

Hawks lose, and even if it's only a one point loss, so long as Cats score over 55 points we'll still rise to second.

How good would a top of the table clash, 1 v 2 at Adelaide Oval be next week?

We're almost guaranteed second place at the end of this round.

Geelong lose and we're second no matter what.

Hawks lose, and even if it's only a one point loss, so long as Cats score over 55 points we'll still rise to second.

How good would a top of the table clash, 1 v 2 at Adelaide Oval be next week?

Be great but we'll be lost in the welter of publicity for the massive crows v Bulldogs blockbuster at Etihad. Welcome to the Danger Zone. (I lost count of how many times I saw that headline yesterday).

There seems to be a fair few Port fans that made the effort to attend their game yesterday. If only the same applied & a contingent of Crow fans (not just a handful of those with SMA memberships) helped inflate our crowd numbers, few would bother when they openly take pleasure in seeing us suffer both on field & financially.

I wouldn't waste my time at one of their games especially one against easy beats like GWS so i'm glad i've been able to sell my share of Crows game from my membership.

I wouldn't want to help pump up their crowd figures & fill their clubs pockets with my money just so they can circle jerk & throw it in our face like they do all too often i.e social media & flogs like cRowe & Gra Gra
With all due respect who cares.. shoot me the day I ever become that petty. Port has bigger fish to fry, focus on the bigger picture and crowd numbers will look after themselves. The fact we've even got to the point where we're competing with their numbers is a miracle in itself considering the last 2 or 3 years.

If Hawks win, we Will be 2nd on the ladder at the end of the round. Pretty cool
Go Geelong.

Second after next week will be even better. :D

I think that the MRP have leant towards intentional for any off the ball hits. The argument being that you can't claim that you didn't intend to make contact.

My understanding is also that the high contact doesn't have to be intentional to make the conduct intentional. This is why I think he's in trouble. Personally I don't like this head clash thing, but it also wasn't obvious to me whether the damage done was from the bump, or from a head clash in this instance. I expect that the outcry when he's charged will be equal to the massive media coverage when Kane was charged with his incident... right?

Kane did get massive media coverage, didn't he?

Yes?

Jesse Hogan in The Age thinks the bump could draw an intentional grading because contact was so far off the play. Going to be an interesting ruling.

Douglas set for tribunal ban
The fact Ward was immediately substituted with concussion means it is likely the incident will attract a high-impact grading. If that is accompanied, as expected, by a classification of intentional conduct and high contact it would attract a level-five rough-conduct penalty of 550 points - five matches with 50 carry-over points.

The bump looked to have occurred just outside the five-metre threshold for permissible off-the-ball bumps.

In Douglas' favour is his qualification for a good-behaviour discount, for not attracting any penalties over the past six years. The combination of that discount and an additional discount for a guilty plea would cut that ban to 309.38 points. That would allow Douglas to return to the Crows' line-up in the round-10 match against Carlton at the MCG.
Douglas set for tribunal ban

There seems to be a fair few Port fans that made the effort to attend their game yesterday.

If only the same applied & a contingent of Crow fans (not just a handful of those with SMA memberships) helped inflate our crowd numbers, few would bother when they openly take pleasure in seeing us suffer both on field & financially.

I wouldn't want to help pump up their crowd figures & fill their clubs pockets with my money just so they can circle jerk & throw it in our face like they do all too often i.e social media & flogs like cRowe & Gra Gra.

I'll be heading to their games against Collingwood and Hawthorn.
Great opportunity to watch football on a Thursday/Friday night.

Go Geelong.

Second after next week will be even better. :D
If the Cats win by a narrow margin today, and then we beat them next weekend, we could be a chance of being first after next round. For example, if the Cats were to win 100-99 today, they would have a lower percentage than us, but more points. If we beat them next round, we then catch them on points, and go above them on the ladder due to percentage. All we would need is for the Hawks not to belt the living daylights out of Richmond next weekend, and we would be sitting on top.

Edit: actually, a larger margin than a 1pt Geelong victory is better for us. For example, if they beat Hawthorn by 20-25pts, it somewhat nullifies the impact of a large Hawthorn victory over Richmond next round.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmm. I understand your point of view.

This is mine. I'll be going to the pies vs crows match. My best mate is a diehard fan of the pies. If a friend supports the opposite team, there's an interstate team I'd like to watch live or I'm offered free tickets, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the match. I have many friends who barrack for other clubs that often ask me to go with them. Sometimes its vs port, sometimes vs crows. I go to hangout with my friends, to help them barrack against the crows or banter with them if its against port. Footy is footy, ill always be a fan of that.

I have always thought this. I was going to blame the broadcasters but i didn't want to give the crows an excuse for their s**t crowds.

Also, I can already picture the conversation i'm going to have a work tomorrow:

Me: What a game for the pear eh?
Cow supporting workmate: yeah but we won to!
Me: We traveled west, played strong to the end and beat a top 8 side on their own patch.
Cow supporting workmate: WE GOT 44K AND YOU ONLY GOT 36K LAST WEEK LOLOLO!!!11!!!11

Also, I can already picture the conversation i'm going to have a work tomorrow:

Me: What a game for the pear eh?
Cow supporting workmate: yeah but we won to!
Me: We traveled west, played strong to the end and beat a top 8 side on their own patch.
Cow supporting workmate: WE GOT 44K AND YOU ONLY GOT 36K LAST WEEK LOLOLO!!!11!!!11

No point arguing with people that have the IQ of a brick. They'll never learn.

The scenes in our lounge room when Hawthorn ran out in that strip:
e3edyre5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back