Skippos's 2015 Draft Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Skippos,

The profiles of Rhys Mathieson and Josh Dunkley are very similar. Are there any major differences in their game? I think an elite inside mid would be a great fit at Port. Is one more a more natural footballer than the other with the ball and with positioning?

Cheers.

How many SA guys look like getting drafted? Francis, Burton, Bonner and Partington surely certainties. Haysman, Snelling, Parella, Allen, Nunn, Tahana, Milera and Presbury chances too? Maybe even Markov getting rookied?

Around what pick range do you think they'll go at?

Francis - 3-7
Burton - 7-18
Bonner - 13-25
Partington - 11-17
Milera - 16-30
Tahana - 25-rookie
Presbury - 40-undrafted
Haysman - 30-rookie
Allen - 20-60
Parella - 45-rookie
Snelling - 35-60
Nunn - 35-rookie
Markov - 25-60

Francis, Burton, Bonner, Parto and Milera are certainties for the ND while I also believe Haysman, Snelling, Markov, Tahana and Allen are likely. Presbury, Parella and Nunn are all teetering.

I'd also have these players in the conversation

- Jadyn Brind: A lot of flaws but he's big, he's clean, he's dynamic and versatile. I'd think if he plays well Wednesday that he firms on many radars
- Maris Olekalns: There's natural talent. Sticks isn't a big fan but clubs will have been tracking him since he was 15 - v. good at u/16 level and a L1 academy player. I'd say he's a rookie chance.
- Jack Agostino: I think in a shallow draft he's odds on to be a late ND-rookie type. Very disciplined and reliable player, you'd happily give a late pick for a bloke who'll be able to play a Luke Brown type role for you a bit like what the Dogs did with Roarke Smith
- Brendan Dew: His stocks are falling with each mediocre performance. It's disappointing as I've seen a lot to like before the champs but he's struggled with the jump. Probably a rookie at best now
- Keiran Agius: Think he goes ND or early rookie to a high club with culture like a Collingwood or Hawthorn who'll back themselves to get the best out of him. Talent too much to ignore
- Mason Redman: Lovely height and smooth mover, pops up in dangerous places. I think he's a late-rookie chance.
- Campbell Wildman: Like redman, nice height and smooth mover. Can see why he'd be both liked and disliked and a late-rookie chance
- Tim Sullivan: Not to be forgotten. Real talent, think he goes 3rd round or so.

It's a far more draftable bunch from SA this year - lots of players who exhibit 'afl traits' instead of honest battlers like last year. A bit like the '14 metro squad really. All of these guys are possible but 5-10 won't be drafted, it'll all depend on which clubs need what and the order as they're all so close.

I feel Daniel Foley of the Jets should be higher up the list, Balanced on both sides of his body, quick and strong. and its not easy to excel in such a poor team.

Foley hasn't given me any reason to rate him that much higher and he hasn't been mentioned by those in the know. Agree it's hard to excel in a poor team but the best still do. That said, I'm open to rising him if he continues to perform.

Great work with this thread skippos was just wondering how your top 10 would look like at the moment and which of brisbanes academy boys will most likely be on the lions list next year

My personal top 10 or how I think it'll go?

If we surveyed each club asking for a linear top 10 with no consideration bar aptitude (i.e. needs not considered) I suspect we'd see something like this

1. Schache
2. Weitering
3. Hopper
4. Francis
5. Mills
6. Parish
(3-6 could be in any order)
7. Curnow
8. Ah Chee
9. Weideman
10. Kennedy
(7-11 (11 - Collins) could be in any order)

With Balic, Bonner, Keays, Clarke, Burton, Tucker and McKay in that next group pushing.

My top 10?

1. Schache
2. Weitering
3. Francis
(top 3 all elite and v. close)
4. Hopper
5. Mills
6. Parish
7. Kennedy
8. Ah Chee
9. Collins
10. Mathieson

I'd have Burton up there at 4-7 if he progressed as I expected he would. But it's hard to judge that.

As for the academy boys? I suspect they'll get Hipwood and Keays for sure (though they'll likely need to trade in a pick to get them as going into debt with Allison coming = do not want) while I think one of Wagner and William will come late ND and the other + Dennis through the rookie. Buzza and Chol outsiders.

Hi Skippos,

The profiles of Rhys Mathieson and Josh Dunkley are very similar. Are there any major differences in their game? I think an elite inside mid would be a great fit at Port. Is one more a more natural footballer than the other with the ball and with positioning?

Cheers.

Below I'll post a sneak peak of my profiles (not just short tidbits to fill space in a mock) of them that might give a better idea. Dunkley is taller and more physical. A better tackler. More powerful and stronger by virtue of height/body. Better overhead mark and more likely forward. Mathieson scrappier, better in traffic, a higher level accumulator and finds it more around the ground. Both unathletic, both poor kicks but favour Mathieson by foot still.

Mathieson the better prospect in my eyes but they're both good. Both limited unathletic inside mids with poor footskills but branching out from that there are some real differences in their game.

Rhys Mathieson (185 cm, 79 kg inside midfielder)

Rhys Mathieson is a natural footballer - someone who isn't perhaps as smooth or athletic as most in the top end of the draft but makes up for that in smarts and courage. He's the kind of player that while he won't go top 3-5 because he is in the lower half for athleticism and has a mediocre kick, you can be sure that he's going to make the grade and play a lot of AFL football. He reminds me a lot of Jordan Lewis. He's not someone who's the prototypical wide framed and big bodied inside mid and doesn't win his own ball through pure strength, but through a natural read of the ruckman's tap combined with smart ground level play and decision making in congestion. He's got a natural feel for the inside that you can't teach. Not only that, but he's a ferocious footballer and the first to put his head over the ball and attack it at full speed, pushing through anyone in his path. This translates to every part of his game - which is full of energy. At ground level he's clean and he distributes by hand well. He's a high level accumulator who while an inside midfielder is capable of linking up outside. There are two primary knocks on him - athleticism and kicking. As an athlete he's relatively slow without much agility or a good leap, however despite lacking agility he still moves well in traffic as he's very aware of his surroundings. By foot he's inconsistent and lacking creativity, often taking the safe option and rarely breaking open the game by foot. Despite that his sheer will to win the ball and dominance inside should set him up for a high quality, albeit scrappy, career.

Josh Dunkley (189 cm, 85 kg inside midfielder)

Josh Dunkley is the prototypical big bodied inside midfielder of the draft. Unlike Mills and Hopper, who aren't that much smaller than him, Dunkley wins his ball not by feel, skill or touch but by physical dominance. He's an imposing player. He's strong through the core and makes it very difficult to move him off his path; if Dunkley sees a ground ball and goes for it, you're not going to bump him off that like you could most players, you're going to have to beat him to it. He compliments this physical and powerful brand of contested ball winning with a reasonable read of the ruck tap. As well as thriving in contested ball situations, he thrives in other physical situations too - he's a marking target and someone who will win his share of one on one targets and hit the scoreboard but he's also a ferocious and volume tackler. He anticipates the opponent's decisions well and is able to position himself to effect a tackle the moment a player receives the ball, hence his high numbers despite not having speed or agility. However, outside of physical situations Dunkley is limited. He doesn't find the ball outside, often positioning himself poorly and by foot is shaky. He lacks penetration and technique while also making poor and rash decisions and having limited vision - with ball in hand it's like he has blinkers on and only sees what's directly ahead. Under pressure he is prone to panicking and lacks composure in general. Athletically he's relatively slow and lacks agility or evasive moves. He does not possess elite endurance either and will need to improve this given his limited style - it is imperative he is able to effect every stoppage. As a player you know what you're going to get with Dunkley, he's a player who's all about the physical side of the game and how he possesses the ball. And it's a valuable role in a side. But outside of that, he's limited.

Geez Skippos , you're opinion of McKay has changed 180 degrees this past fortnight....Reasons?

Believing clubs would see him as a top 20 product does not mean I do.

I was asked how I see it happening - and that is how I see it. I don't particularly agree with it but it's clear that he's well rated in clubland.

I don't think Brisbane would take Wietering at 2 if Gold Coast took Schache I think we would look at Francis

The Gold Coast/Brisbane dynamic is one I'm trying to work out. It's a tough one as there's a strong chance both are battling for the same bloke in Schache but there's the added questionmark of Charlie Dixon.

I don't think GC go Schache if Dixon stays. Does that persuade Brisbane not to chase Dixon? But what if Dixon just goes elsewhere and they miss out on both? Do Brisbane try and ensure GC let Schache slide? An unofficial understanding? It's a tough one. I do think Schache's fate is very dependent on Dixon's.

I'd almost propose that we have no idea what the Lions would do if Schache is off the board. There's potential for them to not want Weitering given Andrews/Clarke/Watts/Merrett/Hipwood and maybe Close/Hammelmann if they goes back but there's also potential for them to not want Francis given Beasley/Paparone/Cutler/Gardiner/Bourke.

If you pick up Francis, it's knowing that he's a 3rd defender for you with the potential to be a capable midfielder or forward. But he's a defender. It'd be very dangerous to pick him as anything else. If you're picking him to play forward, you'd be better off (perhaps downgrading? and) picking Curnow/Weideman/McKay who in the eyes of the many are safer bets as pure forwards.

Really, they could go any way. I'd go Weitering. Watts isn't at all guaranteed. Hipwood looks likely but has ?s. Merrett is old. Andrews looks the goods and Clarke is solid but really, a side with Clarke as the 3rd KPD playing if there's a matchup if not playing NEAFL is strong but it's not unrealistic. Likewise Weitering can play on the third tall defender and would allow Gardiner or Paps to play smaller.

My personal top 10 or how I think it'll go?

If we surveyed each club asking for a linear top 10 with no consideration bar aptitude (i.e. needs not considered) I suspect we'd see something like this

1. Schache
2. Weitering
3. Hopper
4. Francis
5. Mills
6. Parish
(3-6 could be in any order)
7. Curnow
8. Ah Chee
9. Weideman
10. Kennedy
(7-11 (11 - Collins) could be in any order)

With Balic, Bonner, Keays, Clarke, Burton, Tucker and McKay in that next group pushing.

My top 10?

1. Schache
2. Weitering
3. Francis
(top 3 all elite and v. close)
4. Hopper
5. Mills
6. Parish
7. Kennedy
8. Ah Chee
9. Collins
10. Mathieson

I'd have Burton up there at 4-7 if he progressed as I expected he would. But it's hard to judge that.

As for the academy boys? I suspect they'll get Hipwood and Keays for sure (though they'll likely need to trade in a pick to get them as going into debt with Allison coming = do not want) while I think one of Wagner and William will come late ND and the other + Dennis through the rookie. Buzza and Chol outsiders.

Below I'll post a sneak peak of my profiles (not just short tidbits to fill space in a mock) of them that might give a better idea. Dunkley is taller and more physical. A better tackler. More powerful and stronger by virtue of height/body. Better overhead mark and more likely forward. Mathieson scrappier, better in traffic, a higher level accumulator and finds it more around the ground. Both unathletic, both poor kicks but favour Mathieson by foot still.

Mathieson the better prospect in my eyes but they're both good. Both limited unathletic inside mids with poor footskills but branching out from that there are some real differences in their game.

Rhys Mathieson (185 cm, 79 kg inside midfielder)

Rhys Mathieson is a natural footballer - someone who isn't perhaps as smooth or athletic as most in the top end of the draft but makes up for that in smarts and courage. He's the kind of player that while he won't go top 3-5 because he is in the lower half for athleticism and has a mediocre kick, you can be sure that he's going to make the grade and play a lot of AFL football. He reminds me a lot of Jordan Lewis. He's not someone who's the prototypical wide framed and big bodied inside mid and doesn't win his own ball through pure strength, but through a natural read of the ruckman's tap combined with smart ground level play and decision making in congestion. He's got a natural feel for the inside that you can't teach. Not only that, but he's a ferocious footballer and the first to put his head over the ball and attack it at full speed, pushing through anyone in his path. This translates to every part of his game - which is full of energy. At ground level he's clean and he distributes by hand well. He's a high level accumulator who while an inside midfielder is capable of linking up outside. There are two primary knocks on him - athleticism and kicking. As an athlete he's relatively slow without much agility or a good leap, however despite lacking agility he still moves well in traffic as he's very aware of his surroundings. By foot he's inconsistent and lacking creativity, often taking the safe option and rarely breaking open the game by foot. Despite that his sheer will to win the ball and dominance inside should set him up for a high quality, albeit scrappy, career.

Josh Dunkley (189 cm, 85 kg inside midfielder)

Josh Dunkley is the prototypical big bodied inside midfielder of the draft. Unlike Mills and Hopper, who aren't that much smaller than him, Dunkley wins his ball not by feel, skill or touch but by physical dominance. He's an imposing player. He's strong through the core and makes it very difficult to move him off his path; if Dunkley sees a ground ball and goes for it, you're not going to bump him off that like you could most players, you're going to have to beat him to it. He compliments this physical and powerful brand of contested ball winning with a reasonable read of the ruck tap. As well as thriving in contested ball situations, he thrives in other physical situations too - he's a marking target and someone who will win his share of one on one targets and hit the scoreboard but he's also a ferocious and volume tackler. He anticipates the opponent's decisions well and is able to position himself to effect a tackle the moment a player receives the ball, hence his high numbers despite not having speed or agility. However, outside of physical situations Dunkley is limited. He doesn't find the ball outside, often positioning himself poorly and by foot is shaky. He lacks penetration and technique while also making poor and rash decisions and having limited vision - with ball in hand it's like he has blinkers on and only sees what's directly ahead. Under pressure he is prone to panicking and lacks composure in general. Athletically he's relatively slow and lacks agility or evasive moves. He does not possess elite endurance either and will need to improve this given his limited style - it is imperative he is able to effect every stoppage. As a player you know what you're going to get with Dunkley, he's a player who's all about the physical side of the game and how he possesses the ball. And it's a valuable role in a side. But outside of that, he's limited.

Cheers mate i was curious on both and thanks for answering :)

The Gold Coast/Brisbane dynamic is one I'm trying to work out. It's a tough one as there's a strong chance both are battling for the same bloke in Schache but there's the added questionmark of Charlie Dixon.

I don't think GC go Schache if Dixon stays. Does that persuade Brisbane not to chase Dixon? But what if Dixon just goes elsewhere and they miss out on both? Do Brisbane try and ensure GC let Schache slide? An unofficial understanding? It's a tough one. I do think Schache's fate is very dependent on Dixon's.

I'd almost propose that we have no idea what the Lions would do if Schache is off the board. There's potential for them to not want Weitering given Andrews/Clarke/Watts/Merrett/Hipwood and maybe Close/Hammelmann if they goes back but there's also potential for them to not want Francis given Beasley/Paparone/Cutler/Gardiner/Bourke.

If you pick up Francis, it's knowing that he's a 3rd defender for you with the potential to be a capable midfielder or forward. But he's a defender. It'd be very dangerous to pick him as anything else. If you're picking him to play forward, you'd be better off (perhaps downgrading? and) picking Curnow/Weideman/McKay who in the eyes of the many are safer bets as pure forwards.

Really, they could go any way. I'd go Weitering. Watts isn't at all guaranteed. Hipwood looks likely but has ?s. Merrett is old. Andrews looks the goods and Clarke is solid but really, a side with Clarke as the 3rd KPD playing if there's a matchup if not playing NEAFL is strong but it's not unrealistic. Likewise Weitering can play on the third tall defender and would allow Gardiner or Paps to play smaller.

A number of us have pinned our hopes on Schache as I have you could say. However if we finish second and he is off the table then we have to go Weitering and I do t think they would hesitate saying his name either. I also agree with your thoughts on the Dixon situation. He stays they go Weitering, he goes and then they go Schache. I hope he stays unless we finish last then we'll have both thanks.

A number of us have pinned our hopes on Schache as I have you could say. However if we finish second and he is off the table then we have to go Weitering and I do t think they would hesitate saying his name either. I also agree with your thoughts on the Dixon situation. He stays they go Weitering, he goes and then they go Schache. I hope he stays unless we finish last then we'll have both thanks.

There is still a couple of months to go. I think Weitering has been predicted to be one of the top picks for a long time whereas Schache is all just in the last month, plenty of games to go.

Just looking at the fixture, If Ablett coming back gets the suns playing, there are a few teams they play at home who have had bad seasons. Wouldn't be surprised if they finish on the same amount of wins as us.

Would a reasonable comparison be someone like Tom Bell?
Put bluntly, no. In a lot of ways, they are polar opposites. Bell is constantly referred to as Koutoufides-like, as he is big, strong, versatile, and very athletic. Dunkley's agility, pace, endurance and general athletic traits are mostly below average, but his game sense, ball-winning ability and clearance work is exceptional. For Bell, his weakness is that he's probably not a natural footballer like Dunkley, and doesn't have the given talent to propel himself into the top echelon of players. As an inside mid, Dunkley has the potential to be a great player, but that is really his only proper position. Bell, on the other hand, is able to play anywhere on the ground, but less experienced as a pure midfielder. The closest comparison to Dunkley in the AFL would have to be Michael Barlow. Similar size, position, strengths and weaknesses to Dunkley.

How many SA guys look like getting drafted? Francis, Burton, Bonner and Partington surely certainties. Haysman, Snelling, Parella, Allen, Nunn, Tahana, Milera and Presbury chances too? Maybe even Markov getting rookied?

Around what pick range do you think they'll go at?
I had a look at them on friday and my order of preference would be francis (pick 2-4) ,burton out inj but (pick 9-14) ,bonner (pick 12-20) milera (pick 18-30), partington (pick 25-40), snelling (pick 30-45) , tahana (pick 40-60), markov (late), allen (late-rookie), agostino (late-rookie)

wouldn't draft haysman and haven't seen nunn play. Parella a chance for rookie pick but not on fridays performance

reckon partington is a little overhyped compared to his effectiveness and is certainly not better than someone like lewis taylor who went mid 20's. Bonner is v good and a 1st round chance . Allen is improving fast and may push further up depending on next game and rest of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay's game on Friday was as impressive in its own way as Schache's. His mobility and agility, one-touch marking, excellent use on either side, height and late birthday (24/12) will have clubs drooling. As an old CHF myself, I thought he played the role extremely well. The sky is the limit with this kid. I have Schache a clear No.1, and Weitering is as good a lock to be a gun key defender as I've seen, but McKay is up there. i will be amazed if he's not top 10 and not at all surprised if he is top 3-5.

I had a look at them on friday and my order of preference would be francis (pick 2-4)... partington (pick 25-40)...

...reckon partington is a little overhyped compared to his effectiveness and is certainly not better than someone like lewis taylor who went mid 20's.
Interesting that you compare Partington to Taylor; they are completely different players. Taylor dropped down due to his height, and where he was picked isn't indicative of how good he is. Partington has a wealth of good traits and his performances of late have been superb. As an outside midfielder his clearance numbers are great and his speed and endurance is brilliant. Surely you have other reasons than just 'ineffectiveness' for you not rating him - most people see him as a likely top 10-15 chance.

Would a reasonable comparison be someone like Tom Bell?

As Gollo said, nope. Dunkley a more natural footballer whereas Bell is just a beast. Despite being all size Bell's got athleticism that Dunkley can only dream of - he's capable of bursting out of packs, breaking lines, breaking tackles, creating space in congestion and evasive moves as well as gut running. Dunkley has none of that. Both are poor kicks, Dunkley a little better and both are good forward, bell a little better. Dunkleys got more football IQ though, his positioning, feel and defensive positioning are all excellent.

Dunkley at peak is a JPK a type. But right now I'd say a Barlow or even a Redden type are more realistic comparisons.

I had a look at them on friday and my order of preference would be francis (pick 2-4) ,burton out inj but (pick 9-14) ,bonner (pick 12-20) milera (pick 18-30), partington (pick 25-40), snelling (pick 30-45) , tahana (pick 40-60), markov (late), allen (late-rookie), agostino (late-rookie)

wouldn't draft haysman and haven't seen nunn play. Parella a chance for rookie pick but not on fridays performance

reckon partington is a little overhyped compared to his effectiveness and is certainly not better than someone like lewis taylor who went mid 20's. Bonner is v good and a 1st round chance . Allen is improving fast and may push further up depending on next game and rest of the season

Not sure I can agree with this. Haysman is good. He's a high character kid who'll add to any club and is a future leader. He's got league experience and has some excellent games at that level and runs his heart out. Teams need guys who aren't flashy but constantly run their hearts out both ways to defend and provide options. His feel in traffic is a bit like Lachie Neale and he's got real ability to break a line and turn at speed. I think there's something there - a bit like a Riley Knight type but perhaps a more advanced footballer with poorer kicking.

Nunn is quick. He's a quick outside leaning mid who works well closer to the contest. Issue is his kicking. He hasn't developed as hoped. Still draftable though.

If Taylor was Parto's size he goes top 15. With what we know about Taylor now he probably still goes top 15. Parto's inside game >>>> Taylor's. Also does more damage by foot as is a similarly high level accumulator. Far better prospect.

Skippos hey mate, would Collins be on Essendon's radar as a KPD if we lose Steinberg, Carlisle and Fletcher this year?

Certainly will. If your pick is still 6-7 it could be a reach but I suspect whether it be Collins, Curnow, Weideman or McKay you'll be reaching anyway.

McKay's game on Friday was as impressive in its own way as Schache's. His mobility and agility, one-touch marking, excellent use on either side, height and late birthday (24/12) will have clubs drooling. As an old CHF myself, I thought he played the role extremely well. The sky is the limit with this kid. I have Schache a clear No.1, and Weitering is as good a lock to be a gun key defender as I've seen, but McKay is up there. i will be amazed if he's not top 10 and not at all surprised if he is top 3-5.

The sky is the limit? I disagree. I've been sucked into these types before. They're entertsining, they're exciting and they look to have so much upside but it doesn't translate.

What's keeping McKay on my radar is his age. Every dominant marking forward became one at some stage; they weren't always that way. A year ago Schache wasn't as aerially dominant. With an extra year McKay might develop that.

But I'm not seeing anything concrete that he will. No flashes of it or anything. I had a looks t his marking on the weekend - some that were classified contested were very generous, and the others - well, it's not hard to outmark a bloke 5 inches shorter. Most came between the arcs. He's still hesitant to be physical, likes to run around blokes in his path not though. Tries to contort his body in contests to avoid contact. Rarely physically imposes. Contested marking not a strength. You'd expect blokes to be one grab with a clean run and jump competing against skinny kids 10-15 cm shorter. Do not recall seeinghim be hit up on the lead inside 50 outside of luck or a fast break. Goal kicking not high.

Who was the last key forward to go first round based on speculation instead of pure goal kicking and production? Sam day? These types rarely succeed, the dominant afl forwards are the ones who kick bags and dominate juniors. As well as being dangerous on the lead or aerially.

Right now he's a James Stewart type. The peak is Josh Jenkins or Ben Griffiths - shares a lot of similarities with the latter - very tall and similar body types, both very quick and very agile, both very good with a clear run and jump at the ball but both not too potent inside 50 aerially and aren't great with leading patterns. I prefer Griffiths' range and contested marking as well as slightly prefer his leading patterns as a junior though, so I rate McKay a little below where I should have had griff (who, incidentally sucked me in based on the exact same stuff that McKay uses to suck everyone in)

For the record guys, I've written an article for BFGN on the new bidding system and looked at some potential outcomes this year. It can be found here. Explains a few things such as how if sydney want both mills and Dunkley, they'll need to either trade heavily or go into debt. Likewise Brisbane if they wish to take hipwood and Keays while maintaining their top 4 selection. But in what will perhaps be the most exciting thing for Carlton fans, it's explained how Jack Silvagni could be cheaper this year than any other under the new system. If it effects your club or you're not sure if you understand the new system, have a look!

Interesting that you compare Partington to Taylor; they are completely different players. Taylor dropped down due to his height, and where he was picked isn't indicative of how good he is. Partington has a wealth of good traits and his performances of late have been superb. As an outside midfielder his clearance numbers are great and his speed and endurance is brilliant. Surely you have other reasons than just 'ineffectiveness' for you not rating him - most people see him as a likely top 10-15 chance.
I didn't like his game style much in terms of where he wins possessions and what he does with them , didn't see him as damaging and rated Bonner ahead and maybe even milera as well. Still think he's a second round pick so it's not as if I think he is no good

We're going to have to agree to disagree on McKay, and Haysman. I'm with Jeffcrowe, I wouldn't touch him.
I like McKay too and reckon he is on an upward trajectory and will be selected in top 10 ... He is super quick , has a good set shot routine and starting to clunk some marks at highest point and will be a menace at 200cm

For the record guys, I've written an article for BFGN on the new bidding system and looked at some potential outcomes this year. It can be found here. Explains a few things such as how if sydney want both mills and Dunkley, they'll need to either trade heavily or go into debt. Likewise Brisbane if they wish to take hipwood and Keays while maintaining their top 4 selection. But in what will perhaps be the most exciting thing for Carlton fans, it's explained how Jack Silvagni could be cheaper this year than any other under the new system. If it effects your club or you're not sure if you understand the new system, have a look!
Great work skippos , I've had a look and think himmelberg and Cornell are ripe for the picking for other clubs as gws won't want to go into debt with mcreadie and setterfield likely to be early picks next year with mcreadie a chance for top 5

Not sure I can agree with this. Haysman is good. He's a high character kid who'll add to any club and is a future leader. He's got league experience and has some excellent games at that level and runs his heart out. Teams need guys who aren't flashy but constantly run their hearts out both ways to defend and provide options. His feel in traffic is a bit like Lachie Neale and he's got real ability to break a line and turn at speed. I think there's something there - a bit like a Riley Knight type but perhaps a more advanced footballer with poorer kicking.

Nunn is quick. He's a quick outside leaning mid who works well closer to the contest. Issue is his kicking. He hasn't developed as hoped. Still draftable though.

If Taylor was Parto's size he goes top 15. With what we know about Taylor now he probably still goes top 15. Parto's inside game >>>> Taylor's. Also does more damage by foot as is a similarly high level accumulator. Far better prospect.
Admittedly haven't seen Nunn but the wraps are good , partington I have as similar range to O'Kearney in that they will be 2nd round but all opinion rather than fact based so respect your opinion too

Great piece and a lot of work on your part and especially happy to not have to have Heaney used as the example again. I think what it really does highlight that for me, even though others will say I am biased, is that the hope for the academies is to increase the overall pool of talent from Qld and NSW as realistically two players from their academy is the max that a club can take unless they are picked up a lot later or rookied. Another thing to add is let's say there are five players across the academies taken in the first round this leaves five players from the traditional states for other clubs to draft. Yes the aligned clubs have first dibs but they don't get them for free picks wise and also have put a lot of money into the academies. Also to think the 20 or so other players from each academy possibly going back into the state leagues to even further strengthen them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back