Rumour All Gold Coast Rumour and Speculation Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: GC and Cloke anybody starting to get really worried

Yep, this needs to be kept in perspective. GC don't have an infinite salary cap, it isn't even that much larger than other clubs it's just that a large part of their list will be made up of rookies.
Ablett will absorb nearly all of the cap advantage they get, I think it's in the realms of 1.5-2mil they get extra (correct me if I'm wrong), Ablett will demand that alone.

There's no way they are offering Cloke 900k, if anything at all.

From my understanding (and take this with a grain of salt), the putting off of the contract was self imposed by Travis and related for the most part to him having not put his best foot forward in the past 6-12 months, not because he is weighing up a GC offer.
His last 2 weeks would certainly confirm that as well, he knows he can play better than he has and I think he is doing his best to prove that.

Why sign a contract at your lowest point? He believes he can play better and he has given himself the last 8 games of the year to prove it. Power to him I say, the way he is tracking currently signing a contract 4 weeks ago would have been frivolous.

A lot of jumping at shadows here. My information is that GC aren't interested in Cloke at all.

Bock is on $600 k / year.
Harbrow will be on $550 k / year.
Ablett - name your price.

I've even been told that the club/Walsh knows David Cloke is foxing with GC to inflate his contract. I was surprise though when I heard Scott Clayton rates Jarryd Blair bigtime.

Pretty sure Cloke is too much of a daddy's boy to leave.

They're VERY family orientated. I think David is just posturing to get more dough out of Collingwood.

But if Travis can win us a flag with some straight kicking, then give him what he wants. If he costs us a flag, cut him back to 200k.

A lot of jumping at shadows here. My information is that GC aren't interested in Cloke at all.

Bock is on $600 k / year.
Harbrow will be on $550 k / year.
Ablett - name your price.

I've even been told that the club/Walsh knows David Cloke is foxing with GC to inflate his contract. I was surprise though when I heard Scott Clayton rates Jarryd Blair bigtime.

Well that is GC Fault Then but does not stop another Club having a Crack at Trev.

I still think Fraser is the Most Likely to leave.

Blair is Out of Contract is he? Clayton loves his Small Players just look at what he did at the Dogs;)

From my understanding (and take this with a grain of salt), the putting off of the contract was self imposed by Travis and related for the most part to him having not put his best foot forward in the past 6-12 months, not because he is weighing up a GC offer.
His last 2 weeks would certainly confirm that as well, he knows he can play better than he has and I think he is doing his best to prove that.

Yep straight from the horses mouth. Said just this on the footy show a few weeks back.

I am more worried of Richmond making an attempt to poach cloke, they have publicly stated that they will be agressive during trade week and they could offer him a big deal now with richo and cousins retiring in the last two seasons.

I am more worried of Richmond making an attempt to poach cloke, they have publicly stated that they will be agressive during trade week and they could offer him a big deal now with richo and cousins retiring in the last two seasons.

Cloke for Riewoldt would suit me fine. In all seriousness, why would he want to leave for Richmond? Sure they can give him a bucketload of money, but they'l HAVE to deal with us if they want him because if he went to the PS draft he'd end up at Gold Coast. Trav will be a Pie next year

Cloke for Riewoldt would suit me fine. In all seriousness, why would he want to leave for Richmond? Sure they can give him a bucketload of money, but they'l HAVE to deal with us if they want him because if he went to the PS draft he'd end up at Gold Coast. Trav will be a Pie next year

No doubt, i cant see him leaving us next season but i rekon with GC spending soo much money for an average backman + Ablett they couldnt pay him more then Richmond could and + his dad is a former player there as well but i wouldbe be very shocked and suprised if he left.

I think Bock and Harbrow would be great additions to a GC suns team.

Let's face it, they're going to want some quality players down back as they're going to see plenty of the ball down there.

Krakour, as much as i'm not a big fan, does use the ball well.

Can't see any1 from the Pies leaving, especially if we don't win the premiership this year. Why would you leave a club like ours, that is so close to holding the holy grail aloft again and move to a club which will struggle for a few years....Money yes, but I think our guys are all enjoying being together and playing good footy.

I'm happy for Fraser and Medders to head north though if they desire.

Cloke won't leave. He has been asked to take a pay cut, he just wants to finish this year up, let the club sort some stuff out and see if the club changes their mind in regards to the pay cut when they will have a better idea on other players situations. He'll probably still sign on reduced pay (or a contract with heavy performance bonuses).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. His name was on 360, they put up a list of possible targets from different clubs. Pavlich was up there too.

Lets face it, with the depth we have GC is going to be crawling all over our list to find the weak link. Players in the twos are a good starting point & our fringe younger players. Hearing Blair's name is alarming, I would like to nail down all our young talent and roll the dice on the rest. I am expecting JA to go.

Cloke is a tough one, so important but much maligned. He is exactly what the GC need - a power forward, as the rest of them are kids. We can't match their cash so will be up to Clokey (like Ablett) to decide what he wants. It may be a smart move for him. To lose both JA & Cloke would leave a large hole in our list.

Lets face it, with the depth we have GC is going to be crawling all over our list to find the weak link. Players in the twos are a good starting point & our fringe younger players. Hearing Blair's name is alarming, I would like to nail down all our young talent and roll the dice on the rest. I am expecting JA to go.

Cloke is a tough one, so important but much maligned. He is exactly what the GC need - a power forward, as the rest of them are kids. We can't match their cash so will be up to Clokey (like Ablett) to decide what he wants. It may be a smart move for him. To lose both JA & Cloke would leave a large hole in our list.

Great post and I agree on everything. I think Cloke would leave a large hole but not so much Anthony. I think if Presti played on for another year we would be ok. But if we lose Presti it means Reid plus N Brown play (possibly L Brown needed down back) and then if Cloke goes we have Dawes, Medhurst probably gets a game, Macaffer plays as a set forward and then we are stretched forward wise.

I'm pretty sure Jack will go, it makes perfect sense for him and he'll get $300k which he wouldn't get with us. If he stays it's a bonus and he can re-earn his spot back in the team. We have to factor in for an injury or two, we've had a great year injury wise.

I think for our list we need to draft talls this year and do all we can to hold onto Cloke. We have blight, rounds, blair, thomas, sinclair all mid-size coming through so we're going to be strong through that area for years to come. I think we do need to secure our young players but we may lose one or two, that's the way the game is heading. We need to look forward when deciding what to offer players and not get caught up in the moment.

Let GC or GWS have Barham, Cook, etc but not Cloke. We will most likely have list space if O'Bree, Lockyer don't go on and their spots are covered by the players mentioned above but where is our back up height?

Does anyone have any idea if any young talls in our VFL side are close to senior standard? I think Nathan Brown has stepped up this year and has looked better in the AFL when he's played but I want to know about Keefe, Wood, etc.

Offload Fraser and pick up Sam Jacobs for mine.

Former associates of Fraser at Collingwood believe he has suffered at times from a lack of love and understanding.

Lol'd at that. We've ****ing nursed him for 10 years for crying out loud.

McKenna is not Malthouse.

For a start, he loves to cuddle.

No use waiting another 6 years to develop another Guy Richards. Jacobs is a good young ruck who is going to get pushed out by unfortunate circumstances, we should be all over him considering where we stand currently as a club.

No use waiting another 6 years to develop another Guy Richards. Jacobs is a good young ruck who is going to get pushed out by unfortunate circumstances, we should be all over him considering where we stand currently as a club.

Any money spent on Jacobs would be better spent on keeping Cloke right?

What would Jacobs be looking for? $250k? Say we spend $100k on keeping a young player plus that extra $150k should be in the Cloke fund. I doubt we have any money left to get anyone anyway.

What money would Fraser be on?

I sure hope the club knows what it is doing.

We aren't blessed with incredible ruck depth as it sits and to lose Josh further pushes us down the hole, especially with Wood yet to stamp himself and despite Leroy's good form he isn't really a genuine ruck option.

At the end of the day, I think Josh will remain a Pie as he is a man who has a lot of pride and not being a regular in 2010 will have stung him into turning around his fortunes for 2011 and beyond. Big pre-season looming for Josh (I expect him to be here next season).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back