Rumour All Gold Coast Rumour and Speculation Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Jacobs leave Carlton, where he has played 10 or so games this year - to come to Collingwood to be a depth ruckman?

Very unlikely to play unless Jolly gets injured and even then would still be in competition with Wood. He's a depth ruckman now with a realistic chance of playing regular senior footy in 2011 at Carlton, at Collingwood he would have no hope in playing regular footy in 2011.

How far away is McNamara? Or will he never develop enough to play in the AFL?
I don't want to be too harsh on the lanky yank, but he has been almost terrible the last few weeks, to the point where he would probably be running around in the VFL reserves if we had a team there.

He may be finding the long season a bit much, but really, he just hasn't developed his "football skills" as much as what you would want to see.

His ruckwork is very good, but no where near the likes of Woods', so there's a long way to go before the club would even consider senior listing Shae, but a full pre season may improve him remarkably.

I sure hope the club knows what it is doing.

We aren't blessed with incredible ruck depth as it sits and to lose Josh further pushes us down the hole, especially with Wood yet to stamp himself and despite Leroy's good form he isn't really a genuine ruck option.

Leroy is good enough. The Jolly/Brown combo works perfectly. There's no real reason Wood/Brown wouldn't work equally as well, or Jolly/Wood. Any ruck we get is going to be sitting in the VFL waiting for an injury for a couple of years, and will be competing with Wood and McNamara, so I think a better option is to draft a young tall, that way he would be developing in the VFL and not stagnating.

There's no real reason Wood/Brown wouldn't work equally as well.

Yes there is. There is a big massive 200cm reason, he's called Darren Jolly and he is so much better than Wood it's not worth trying to measure. There is not one facet of the game that Wood is as good as Jolly at, not one.

Wood is pathetic and hasn't developed one iota since he left Brisbane, he has the talent to be adequate, but he obviously lacks committment.

Yes there is. There is a big massive 200cm reason, he's called Darren Jolly and he is so much better than Wood it's not worth trying to measure. There is not one facet of the game that Wood is as good as Jolly at, not one.

Wood is pathetic and hasn't developed one iota since he left Brisbane, he has the talent to be adequate, but he obviously lacks committment.

I mean from Browns perspective as the pinch hitter. I don't think anyone thinks Wood is better than Jolly, that's why Jolly is in the side and Wood isn't.

Why would Jacobs leave Carlton, where he has played 10 or so games this year - to come to Collingwood to be a depth ruckman?

Very unlikely to play unless Jolly gets injured and even then would still be in competition with Wood. He's a depth ruckman now with a realistic chance of playing regular senior footy in 2011 at Carlton, at Collingwood he would have no hope in playing regular footy in 2011.

He'd be second string at Collingwood. Leigh Brown is batting above his average now, but let's not get carried away.

I would not go as far as Saying Wood is Pathetic but as you say his Lack Of Commitment is Sad To See. Those his last few weeks at VFL level have been promising:thumbsu:

if by 'nursed' you mean 'rucked solo' despite not being suited to the job, then you are correct.

any other 19 year olds out there rucking solo for their club you are aware of, ever?

Nope, I mean nursed, like supplying at Collingwood's breast for the last 10 years.

He would have been out of the job 2 years back if it wasn't for our love and understanding.

The rucking solo thing continues to be exaggerated, he was drafted to be a ruckman, god forbid he was expected to fill his role. He virtually always had someone rucking alongside him anyway. It's just become a convenient excuse to defend his mediocrity in all honesty.

Leroy is good enough. The Jolly/Brown combo works perfectly. There's no real reason Wood/Brown wouldn't work equally as well, or Jolly/Wood. Any ruck we get is going to be sitting in the VFL waiting for an injury for a couple of years, and will be competing with Wood and McNamara, so I think a better option is to draft a young tall, that way he would be developing in the VFL and not stagnating.

Exactly. Jacobs coming to Pies would still be in the immense shadow of Jolly. Not much point in having both Wood and Jacobs waiting in the wings for an injury, especially when they are both ready to play. Only one of them would play in that scenario, meaning Jacobs or Wood are still malingering in the magoos.

I'd like to see a good succession plan / ruck spacing. Jolly 28, Wood 23, X 20 year old, 2 project ruckmen. Jolly is no.1 now, Wood hopefully becomes the next number 1 as he develops, player X (Currie?) is working to be number 1 after Wood.

For one thing, a 20 year old with decent prospects will be cheaper, but also we wont have the issue of one of the two 23/24 year olds stagnating in the seconds before looking to leave - having been paid 200k+ in the process of playing in the VFL.

If Wood doesn't work, when Jolly is coming to an end in 3 years, we have another 23 year old who hopefully isn't a bust. Worst comes to worst and we can spend big on established ruck in 3 years.

He'd be second string at Collingwood. Leigh Brown is batting above his average now, but let's not get carried away.

Yes, but we don't play a second string ruckman, and with 3 bench players and a sub, are even less likely to next year.

Jacobs is clearly a better ruck than Brown, but with Jolly rucking 75% + of game time, what is Jacobs going to be doing then? He sure as hell won't be playing key defence, key forward or busting up packs like Leeeeroy Brown does!

The best #2 rucks are blokes like Brown, Ryder, Clark who can provide significant value elsewhere on the ground when the primary ruckman is rucking, instead of sitting on the pine or catching a cold in the forward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most of what is being said here, Jacobs is not what we're looking for IMHO, even if he did want to come to Collingwood which he probably wouldn't.

I'm going to post something here which I will guarentee you all is absolute FACT.

I will not tell you how I know this so don't ask. People here know I don't post bullshit so you'll just have to accept what I say (or not I suppose).

The Gold Coast Suns are NOT after any Collingwood players. They are not chasing ANY of them.

We will not lose any uncontracted players to them.

I'm going to post something here which I will guarentee you all is absolute FACT.

I will not tell you how I know this so don't ask. People here know I don't post bullshit so you'll just have to accept what I say (or not I suppose).

The Gold Coast Suns are NOT after any Collingwood players. They are not chasing ANY of them.

We will not lose any uncontracted players to them.

Fantastic news.
Do you have any info on the players that are going to go..?

Just because we won't lose players to the GC, doesn't mean we won't lose any.

Anthony appears to be bereft of confidence, has the supporters on his back and his football and his career would probably benefit from a change of club. Which is a shame, as I think he's a very talented player with a bloody good work ethic, despite what others suggest.

Just because we won't lose players to the GC, doesn't mean we won't lose any.

Anthony appears to be bereft of confidence, has the supporters on his back and his football and his career would probably benefit from a change of club. Which is a shame, as I think he's a very talented player with a bloody good work ethic, despite what others suggest.

I reckon Anthony is the type of player who benefits from plenty of input from the coach. MM would definitely have laid out his plans for Jack and Jack would be working hard to meet the requirements.

Why would he be better off, as a developing back at any other club?

I can see why other clubs would want him, but if you ignore his fantastic input last season, he is in no different a position this year than Dawes, Reid or Nate Brown were last year.

If he goes it will be for other reasons then lack of AFL time.

Because the players he has to get past to get into the side, are all of similar age and development. It's not like a spot is just going to open up for him. So while he may be mroe versatile than all of them, they are all better at a single role.

Brown is 22, Reid is 21, Cloke is 23, Dawes is 22 - you would think Anthony needs to go past one of these 4 guys to get a regular game, especially given our defence also contains a bunch of other u25's + the 26 year old captain.

I think he would be a regular at several other AFL clubs, and after all he's a footballer who wants to play football. He would probably earn more $ and several other clubs also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back