Preview Who stays, who goes? - Hawthorn vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I was happy with him how he played when he came on, he didn't annoy me cause he picked the ball up and kicked it instead of kick it off the ground, he does have skill, I think he will be sub again!

IN: Mitchell, Rioli and Lisle

OUT: Osborne (Calf), Stratton (Knee), Suckling (Sorry had to)

Unfortunately most of his handballs also ended up back on the ground. That goal he kicked against Melbourne started with terrible handballs that his teammates continued to mop up for him.

Suckling? honestly?

Actually I was happy with him how he played when he came on, he didn't annoy me cause he picked the ball up and kicked it instead of kick it off the ground, he does have skill, I think he will be sub again!

There is zero chance that Suckling will be dropped

I often wonder if I watch the same games as everyone else, Lewis was brilliant last game, Suckling solid each week so far.

I would be gutted to see any of the young guys dropped at this stage of the season, they have earned their spot and done nothing wrong.

I could see Bruce playing some time at Box Hill, but I don't see this as an issue, he hasn't clicked yet but it's a long season, some time in the 2's could help him find his feet.

If we can string games together and play hard consistent football like 08, I would like to see us start rotating a few players through the side week to week.

Would be nice to know about our depth moving towards September but that's a long time away, but could see pup and smith being handy against the pies.

Should we drop shiels and savage as well?? :eek:

Didn't Clarkson already say after last weeks match that Murphy would be coming in for Stratton when asked about his injury? 99% sure he did...

I hope it was a Furphy.....as West Coast have dined-out on Murphs limitations plenty of time, Nic Nat loves him...

We need someone who can read the play in the air, because if there are talls it will not be coming in low...it will be high and long

Lisle must play for mine.

He's 196cm (Gilly is 192cm and Gibbo 189cm).

Forget Murphy. He's 188cm. No vertical leap. Shown in the past that he's more suited to the smaller types in Betts, Milne and Co.

You would certainly hope so. If not Lisle, Roughead will have to go back. Stratton was probably our best contested mark and could play on talls and smalls. Murphy can play on small/medium forwards but cannot play on KPFs as we have seen.
Having said all that I would not be surprised if Clarko played him.

You would certainly hope so. If not Lisle, Roughead will have to go back. Stratton was probably our best contested mark and could play on talls and smalls. Murphy can play on small/medium forwards but cannot play on KPFs as we have seen.
Having said all that I would not be surprised if Clarko played him.

I've always thought that Rough should go back and would make an All Australian center half back. However I think it's become pretty clear over the last couple of years that it ain't going to happen.

Murph is a shoe in to get a game. He did show improvement last year however i don't think he's the right man nor is there a great match up for him this week. From what i saw of him at Box Hill he still looked in need of a few more VFL games. Got beat in one out contests on numerous occasions.

john-mcenroe.jpg

I've always thought that Rough should go back and would make an All Australian center half back. However I think it's become pretty clear over the last couple of years that it ain't going to happen.

Agree totally. I'd love to see Lisle given a game at either end with rough moving to accomodate him. After failures like Thorp and Dowler, Lisle seems like he's done everything to deserve a game. It'd be nice to reward him and see how he goes.

Some more time at box hill won't hurt Murphy. He may learn some new tricks playing at a lower level and come back a better player.

lol nice one :thumbsu:

was thinking the same thing. calls for suckling to be dropped are ridiculous. im very impressed with the form and endevour shown by the young brigade of savage, suckling, shiels etc. they're having a red hot crack and they dont look out of place at all in our best 22 currently.

I hope the Hawks don't take the Eagles lightly this week. They could easily put up a good fight. Cox and Embley are in sterling form. We owe them for the loss over in the West last year when we played without Buddy. Could be closer than we think. Any thoughts?

Eagles have TALL (Cox/NN) or BIG (qstick)forwards alongside Kennedy. Will always have 2, and possibly 3 down there to stretch us.

So Gilham will have to take a genuine tall. That means Gibson won't get much help, and will be out of his weight division.
That may be true, but our coaching staff don't think that's too much of a concern.
Rather than worry about the opposition's game plan, the Hawks seem to try and focus on executing our game plan.

To me this means:
Still think it would be a waste to sent The Rough back. I think the quality of the WCE forwards has been overplayed. If we can gain contro in the guts which I reasonably expect the rest will look after itself.

From a back half perspective I dont mind the idea of going in a little undersize.

Lets employ the quick rebound from defense tactic put pressure on Q stick & co. to make their forwards defensively accountable. Quick rebound has worked well for us so far this year.

This is what we aim to do. Let our defenders match up best they can in the air and just team up on the forwards at all time.

Gibson, Gilham, Stratton, all 189-191 cms. They just work so well as a defensive unit though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saying he isn't a guaranteed selection, due to the amount of quality we have in the midfield, with still more to come.
A few years ago people were using this line to justify trading Sewell to Melbourne.

Thank God we didn't.

Lewis is a great player, don't know why there isn't more love for him here. He can be a dick at times, but he's a terrific footballer.

I hope the Hawks don't take the Eagles lightly this week. They could easily put up a good fight. Cox and Embley are in sterling form. We owe them for the loss over in the West last year when we played without Buddy. Could be closer than we think. Any thoughts?

Wont be close, Hawks are playing awsome and it is at our fortress, seriously i wouldnt be too worried the Weagles will come undone this weekend...

A really hard week as a lot of the guys who probably had question marks over their heads after rounds 1 & 2 were really good on Saturday night against the Tigers. I wouldn't want to see Guerra or Ladson dropped. Both have shown enough. I think Osborne might be unlucky and yes, maybe Bruce. Not that Bruce hasn't been good but I think he's at the bottom end of the scale at the moment. Sucking, Shiels and Savage are making it really hard for the selectors as both are playing brilliant footy.

INS: Rioli, Mitchell and one of either Murphy/Milne or Lisle.
Out: Stratton, Bruce and either Osborne or Ellis.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Mitchell won't be back this week. If he was sore last week plus the arrival of the twins, with alot of guys in form, they may grant him th extra week off. Whoever is out this week will be a bit unlucky.

I'll be there this week and will be ABSOLUTELY PI$$*D OFF IF WE LOSE TO THE EAGLES. Does anyone else notice how every time any of them kicks a goal that's either 50m out or on any sort of angle they all run to each other with this surprised look laughing with each other like they've just kicked the goal via the carpark? Maybe it's just me. Also, got a few mates who barrack for them (picked them as a kid because they liked the colour blue) and give me sh** when they bat us but pretty much goes missing for the rest of the year.

Can't stand them and we're due to smash the living sh** out of them this week to make up for 2009 and 2010.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest.....

IN:Rioli, Murphy
OUT:Stratton, Ellis.
I dont really see coming in Mitchell coming in as he doesn't add much to the team right now. He may have gotten a large number of possessions last game but a number of them were ineffective which is why i would like to see rioli in as he offers pace and is handy by foot.

I'll be there this week and will be ABSOLUTELY PI$$*D OFF IF WE LOSE TO THE EAGLES. Does anyone else notice how every time any of them kicks a goal that's either 50m out or on any sort of angle they all run to each other with this surprised look laughing with each other like they've just kicked the goal via the carpark? Maybe it's just me. Also, got a few mates who barrack for them (picked them as a kid because they liked the colour blue) and give me sh** when they bat us but pretty much goes missing for the rest of the year.

Can't stand them and we're due to smash the living sh** out of them this week to make up for 2009 and 2010.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest.....

I think it will happen, our game style has changed for the better and i think we will shock them with in the 1st few minutes..

I think it will happen, our game style has changed for the better and i think we will shock them with in the 1st few minutes..

Hope so. A lot of teams including the ones that sit usually around 9th to 13th rate themselves a chance against us. I don't think we've quite struck fear back into them yet. A few more big games and that should hopefully change.

I think a lot of the posters are looking at this all wrong. Instead of trying to cover the loss of Stratton with compromised options and allowing our opponent to take advantage of it, lets think about things another way and try and create a situation that puts our opponents at a disadvantage.

Richmond's I50 count was way to high. I think we should go with a smaller line up to increase our advantage in the midfield, increase rotations through the midfield and reduce fatigue particularly on the big Launceston ground. The end result - less inside 50s and less opportunities for the to half assed eagles forward line.

So for me -

in. Rioli, Mitchell
Out. Stratton. Osborne (keeping both Ellis and Guerra)

Hope so. A lot of teams including the ones that sit usually around 9th to 13th rate themselves a chance against us. I don't think we've quite struck fear back into them yet. A few more big games and that should hopefully change.

Its taken 2 years, but at last we are back to being the hunters once again, the way we have played this season shows signs of 08 and it doesnt look like we will be fading away like the last 2 years.
I am confidant we can demolish the Weagles and then come back to the G and its payback time for those Pussies...:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back