Preview Who stays, who goes? - Hawthorn vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given Clarko's philosiphy on replacung a soldier, I'm pretty sure he will bring in one of Murphy or Lisle. As much as I would love for Lisle to play I think that Murph will be picked ahead of him.

Who would Murphy line-up on ? He didn't do to well last time we played them, and he's not in our best 22.

Would we be better off giving another tall a chance, or maybe rely on Hale/Rough to go back when they inevitably push NicNat or Cox up forward.

this :thumbsu:

plus add in some run and who's your Daddy :)

Sometimes Hawthorn has been harder to break into than the Australian Test squad....

This is a prime opportunity to blood someone like Lisle or Puopolo, both of who bring strengths to the team in this situation... yet it's more likely that Murphy will come in, who doesn't really bring much to the table at all. There's no real match up for him, if Hodge is playing around the backline, he can do everything Murphy can and more.

Murphy is only a stopper, so Pup brings more to the table as well, with pressure and pace and tackling. I worried about Lisle not knowing the defensive role as well, but then I remembered that's where his junior football was, and he was quite good at it.

I guess at the end of the day I will be -very- disappointed if Murphy comes in ahead of these guys, we should be picking teams based on not just merit, but suitability of roles... yet at the same time I'm almost positive Murphy will get the nod because Clarkson loves him.

haha its on ten in perth thank god!! first time this year the hawks have been on free to air

I've got a feeling Osborne and Mitchell might miss if not quite 100% fit, need them ready for the Geelong game.

Rioli comes back for Stratton. One definite change. Other than that everybody played well on Saturday night, albeit against Richmond. Guerra was handy and looked dangerous down forward, applied some much needed forward pressure and I thought Ellis played a decent game, got a fair bit of the footy and used it quite well and even drifted in for a goal.

Remember Lecras is missing, still injured. Just have to beat Cox, Lynch and Nat in the middle and we should be ok. Man up on there midfielders including Kerr and Priddis and we should be solid.

Only other in could potentially be Paul Puopolo who has had a decent start to the VFL season. Can't see Lisle or Kyle getting a game yet.

FB: Ladson Gilham Murphy

HB: Birchall Gibson Suckling

C: Young Mitchell Bateman

HF: Burgoyne Franklin Rioli

FF: Lewis Roughead Hale

FOLL: Renouf Hodge Sewell

INTER: Ellis, Savage, Guerra

SUB: Shiels

IN: Mitchell, Rioli, Murphy

OUT: Stratton, Osborne, Bruce

What i would like to see

FB: Ladson Gilham Puopolo

HB: Hodge Gibson Birchall

C: Young Mitchell Bateman

HF: Lewis Franklin Burgoyne

FF: Hale Roughead Guerra

FOLL: Renouf Sewell Rioli

INTER: Savage, Shiels, Ellis

SUB: Bruce

IN: Mitchell, Rioli, Puopolo

OUT: Stratton, Osborne, Suckling

Our talls are nothing to write home about, so I wouldn't 'go tall' on account of our 22 being the land of the giants.

I haven't seen any of your games so far this year so I can't comment on anything more than the odd highlights package I've seen, but our real advantage is our ruck duo. If you can break even there you should be able to get over us comfortably, even if not by a huge margin. We're going OK, but looking at your best 6 or 7 players compared to ours isn't pretty reading from my POV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Litherland is in the development squad right now.

I'd be giving Lisle the green light. Roughead may have to go to the backline.

I don't mind this move tbh - he is an honest defender, doesn't give away too many frees, is a good strong mark and it would also I think help him to regain some confidence which he has been sadly lacking - there is no point in bringing in someone like pop who doesn't even come close to being a fit for the loss of stratto, just doesn't make any sense - better to mix it up. This of course would require Buddy staying at home and after the weekend I can't really see that happening as he seemed to relish the opportunity.

The eagles have some big men in Lynch, Kennedy, Darling, Cox and Nic Nat who can kick goals and I don't think we have the personnel who will be able to cover them all - what needs to happen is for Cox especially to be made accountable and to this end Hale and Renouf will be doubly important this weekend and need to kick goals early and not give him the opportunity to own his game and roam at will.

Our talls are nothing to write home about, so I wouldn't 'go tall' on account of our 22 being the land of the giants.

I haven't seen any of your games so far this year so I can't comment on anything more than the odd highlights package I've seen, but our real advantage is our ruck duo. If you can break even there you should be able to get over us comfortably, even if not by a huge margin. We're going OK, but looking at your best 6 or 7 players compared to ours isn't pretty reading from my POV.
Mate, there is no chance we can break even with your ruck duo. If we get 15 hitouts i'd be happy

We may not have to if this article is anything to go by.

Could we be in for another WA fiasco with regards to playing them as tassie? Sounding similar to the stunt Freo pulled last year.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/9178450/battered-eagles-on-light-load-for-hawks/

The full extent of West Coast's bruising clash with Sydney became obvious yesterday when just 11 of the 22 players were able to train fully at Patersons Stadium.Dean Cox, Darren Glass, Daniel Kerr, Andrew Embley, Matt Priddis, Sam Butler, Matt Rosa, Mark Nicoski, Luke Shuey and Jack Darling were all on light duties, while Josh Kennedy didn't even join his teammates on the field.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/9178450/battered-eagles-on-light-load-for-hawks/

While it's always good to see the Hawks beat full strength sides, I'm sure I'd get over it pretty quickly if the Eagles went in even more undermanned that what they already are. Don't forget that Waters, Masten and LeCras are already out too. Further more, they have the bye the following week so Worsfold could always take the approach of giving his players a mini rest.

If the likes of Ozzy and Guerra are still a bit sore from the weekend, get them right for the cats match the following week.

If I read one more post saying Roughead to the backline, I will deadset spew up!

Apologies Galon, I hope it wasn't a terrible experience for you. I was actually halfway through my post, got chatting and then unfortunately hit submit without refreshing ........... not that I would of changed my opinion of course. ;)

It's not forever, just one game - I just can't see who else would be a good fit at this stage if Murphy and Shoey aren't ready yet.

Bringing back a 75% Murphy is exactly what we dont need moving forward. He is a good stopper on some mid size forwards when 100% but his defensive pressure, creativity and footskills are all second rate and not what we need as we look to build for another premiership.

Puopolo adds a new face who has ticked all the boxes and inserts abit of grunt into the backline.

Their forwardline might be tall but its hardly packed with stars who take consistant grabs. when the ball hits ground level Id much prefer see Puopolo charging at the contest then Murphy. he also gives another avenue for exiting the backline.

Also with Cox and NicNats dominance in the ruck having Puopolo around the stoppages towards the defensive half is a much better option than a underdone Murphy and untried Lisle.

If I read one more post saying Roughead to the backline, I will deadset spew up!

Agreed. If we didn't do it last year when Gibson was out for half the year and Stratton was in his first season, we're not about to do it now.

I think there are two things going on here when discussing sending Roughead into defense.

1. What's the chances of Roughead actually moving to the backline? Very unlikely. Clarkson has pretty much declared his hand.

2. Should Roughead be moved to the backline? A reasonable case can be made that given the balance of the side he should be down there. (If not permanently then on an "as needed" basis.)

In some respects losing Stratton has forced Clarkson to address a long term structural weakness. We may get away with a shortish backline this week against the Eagles but I doubt it will work the week after against the Cats.

With Darren Glass about to play his 200th, is there any chance he will pull out with General Soreness, so he can play his 200th in Round 6 WCE v Melb Friday night !??

Bringing back a 75% Murphy is exactly what we dont need moving forward. He is a good stopper on some mid size forwards when 100% but his defensive pressure, creativity and footskills are all second rate and not what we need as we look to build for another premiership.

Just as an opposing view, we have not seen Murphy play in such a settled side since 2008. He quite possibly will suprise on the upside.

Deep down we would all be excited to see Pup, Cheney or Lilse play.

I think you had better get a bucket.

As another opposing view to the eagles not having a quality small/medium requiring a stopper, it could be argued what better game for Murph to return CLA.

I just cant see Clarko going past Murphy. He played one NAB cup game, did he have a run at Box Hill in the first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back