Preview Who stays, who goes? - Hawthorn vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With LeCras out, do the Eagles really have a top quality small-to-medium forward that is worth having a pure stopper in and a pure stopper that is not in 100% fitness or form?

Good question.

West Coast's top goal scorers to date are as follows;

Embley - 6
Lynch - 5
Kennedy - 5
Shuey - 5

While Murphy could matchup well on both Embley or Shuey they're inherently midfielders so won't be forward the majority of the game.

However I'm off the opinion we should use this game to get so game time into Murphy as it is a low risk game and ahead of the bye so even if he finishes a bit sore has time to recover.

This is based upon my opinion that Murphy is an integral part of our backline however and we should attempt to get him in the best 22 as soon as possible. Others of course will disagree.

Just as an opposing view, we have not seen Murphy play in such a settled side since 2008. He quite possibly will suprise on the upside.

Deep down we would all be excited to see Pup, Cheney or Lilse play.

What upside?

He can't read the ball in-flight, struggles with the ball on the deck and his disposal is telegraphed...

Look at the West Coast games he has played, annus horribilus....

Please we know the score, let's try new faces...we know what has happened already this year by trying the players that couldn't get a birth under any circumstances last year...

Clarko should learn from his mistakes and play players who are prepared to take the game on and have skills to match...

Poupoulo deserves his chance :thumbsu:

What upside?

He can't read the ball in-flight, struggles with the ball on the deck and his disposal is telegraphed...

Please we know the score, let's try new faces...we know what has happened already this year by trying the players that couldn't get a birth under any circumstances last year...

Clarko should learn from his mistakes and play players who are prepared to take the game on and have skills to match...

Have to agree with Kip.
Murphy struggles at senior level.
The pup deserves a go and his hard at style of play is going to be whats needed against some sore and battled weary legs who have just played a nail biter against the swans.
Supposedly only 11 out of the 22 trained today at west coast.
Go the grunt i say!!

I think people get 2008 and 2010 Murphy mixed up with 2009 Murphy.
In 2009 with no Croad and no Gilham, Murphy was forced to play on the tall forwards and struggled as you would expect. In 2008 and 2010 he was allowed to play his correct role depending on match ups and was a very good valuable player for the team.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Player X(sore) - Test about 8 times on WCE Injury List.

Of those goal kickers, you can probably take out Lynch. Had a really lucky patch against Sydney who didnt have a backman who could put any pressure on him whatsoever. Disappeared after his purple patch though.

Looking to Darling to hopefully hit the scoreboard a little more this match.

For those thinking this is a low risk game, think again.

We are playing a team in form and with a fair bit of confidence.

So whoever comes in needs to be 100% fit for starters. Murphy did his ankle in the NAB cup. Since then he has done rehab and played in about 3 games for box hill.

Murphy may get the nod because Shoe is out and Lisle hasn't quite recaptured his 2010 form. I think as soon as Shoe is match fit, he will be given the nod.

Roughy down back is a little too reactive and defensive a move. I think he'll probably play there in bursts, though.

Hurry up Shoe. Now is your time to get fit and have a crack. I really hope he gets a run at Box Hill this week.

Nothing wrong with Tom Murphy imo. He does a good job on the medium forwards, and did very well on the small forwards last year too. His disposal is reliable.

Assuming Ryan can get his match fitness up and do enough to warrant a spot in the starting side each week later in the year, having played forward a lot as a kid, I love the thought of having the versatility to interchange him and Roughy at either end of the ground depending on how the game is unfolding and our needs. Rough is a great contested mark and I love him close to goal so he can do damage, but if for whatever reason we're coming up against a team where we can't seem to get the ball out of defense, having a great contested mark and strong bodied tall to kick to could be ideal, while still being able to leave a tall in Ryan in the forward 50 so we don't have to slow the ball down while someone else makes their way up forward.

I certainly wouldn't see it as a permanent move, but being able to switch things up even during a game depending on how the game is unfolding can only be a good thing? The more versatility the better. I don't see him playing a FB or HB role, per se, but rather giving our defenders a strong tall option to kick to if for whatever reason we are unable to run the ball out of defense, or even if we got off to a good start but a strong bodied opposition forward line starts to peg their way back, he could fill the hole and provide some added strength.

All that aside, I look forward to seeing how the team sets up when Ryan does become available for selection.

What upside?

Unfortunately at this point in time, Pup doesn't have the skills to match just yet. Has the grunt and desire to win the ball but his kicking can let him down at times. Can handball though... :p

facepalm at the Murphy haters...

that is incorrect BnG, I do not hate anyone but we went backwards in 2009 & 2010 this is due to the list we had....

therefore play newbies to see how they go...much like the Pies have done with much success, whilst there so-called regulars of 07/08/09 were playing in the 2's last year they went on to win a flag :thumbsu:

I think people get 2008 and 2010 Murphy mixed up with 2009 Murphy.
In 2009 with no Croad and no Gilham, Murphy was forced to play on the tall forwards and struggled as you would expect. In 2008 and 2010 he was allowed to play his correct role depending on match ups and was a very good valuable player for the team.

and our midfield was running at about 30% with pressure almost non existent. Murphy played very good games for us last year once the gameplan was re vamped.

Murphy is in our best 22 and will come straight back in when considered fit, particularly with Stratton out injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a quite a few players suggested to bring in, and not many to drop - who will be out of the side other than Stratton?

Guerra did an OK job in the wet.
Ladson continues to surprise me this season, seems to always be at the drop of the ball.
We should definitely not drop Suckling, Savage or Shiels.
Ossie looked pretty sore and didnt get enough of the ball while he was on - perhaps he will lose his spot.
Bateman has been gut running his way back into the core group.

Who else?

Out: Stratton, Ossie + ?? maybe Guerra though he could fill in at either end of the ground.
In: Mitchell, Rioli, maybe Lisle

Does anyone know how Guerra pulled up, is he actually fit to play this weekend, because he was in a fair bit of pain when his knee injury/whatever happened.

I know he was able to return, maybe he got a zap of pain relief into it, someone said he could barely walk after the game though. Perhaps he will be rested based on this?

Who would Murphy line-up on ? He didn't do to well last time we played them, and he's not in our best 22.

Would we be better off giving another tall a chance, or maybe rely on Hale/Rough to go back when they inevitably push NicNat or Cox up forward.

Sorry but Murphy didn't play last time we played on them in May last year. Also we went into that game with only one ruckman and no Franklin.
Here is the list...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4978

No one was laughing at our back 6 last year and Murphy was a part of that :confused:

yes they were, that is all everyone talked about....no matter how well we did, it was always about our back 6 being the weakest link (I actually thought our lack of pace was our main concern)...all I am saying is that by playing the same people we are not moving forward...last year was horrible because our young players never got a chance through stubborn, repetitive selections...

this year, SSS have without a shadow of a doubt allowed us to win games through enthusiasm and the unknown.

yes they were, that is all everyone talked about....no matter how well we did, it was always about our back 6 being the weakest link (I actually thought our lack of pace was our main concern)...all I am saying is that by playing the same people we are not moving forward...last year was horrible because our young players never got a chance through stubborn, repetitive selections...

this year, SSS have without a shadow of a doubt allowed us to win games through enthusiasm and the unknown.

I agree on both points, our backline was talked about by opposition supporters as our weakness and we did lack an injection of youth.

However no one is really treating our backline with any respect this year either...every review of Hawthorn is that we have a weak ruck and defence.

As to your second point well that's fine but their presence doesn't need to come at the cost of Murphy, particularly considering the loss of Stratton.

You're being too harsh on Murphy, Kip.

He was actually really good in the second half of 2010 once he gained a bit of confidence.

I'll admit he was awful early on.

He can replace Stratton this week and if he doesn't perform, Schoey should be right to take his spot the following week.

I'm in two minds about Murphy - he plays good shut down roles when required (this weekend isn't it) but at other times is like a deer caught in the headlights. I just don't see him as the right replacement for stratton but as we all know there is not a lot of depth in our defence so what will be will be no doubt.

No one was laughing at our back 6 last year and Murphy was a part of that :confused:

Our back 6 has been below par for 2 years now since Croads departure. They may not have been laughing at it as such but opposition coaches would pin it up as an obvious weakness in our makeup.

Stratton is an important loss as he can play on medium/tall forwards, and hurt them on the way out. Murphy doesn't hurt teams, and cant play anywhere but deep defence in a stopping role.

AFL football requires players to either be exceptional in a single position OR have the flexibility to play in a variety of positions depending on matchups, gameplan or any other variabilities that may occur during a game. I think Puopolo offers more as he can move up the field if we happen to lose someone through the midfield OR noeed to shutdown one of their key midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back